Prime Day 2018 & Security Cams

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Motomom34, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The deals have started. Cheap prices on stuff from China etc... Anyone getting the deals? @DarkLight said earlier that Lifestraws were $10. Kindles are on sale and all sorts of gadgets.

Please note: Amazons site keeps freezing and crashing. I learned that AdBlocker is not a fan of Amazon Prime Days. Once I turned that off, I was able to access the site.

So far I have looked at:
    10._TTD_. 29._TTD_. 36._TTD_. Plus this 71-WrMlp9UL._SL1500_.

The MalloMe camp set will be on sale. I have been looking at these. I wonder how much they will be.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Another deal. Freeze Dried Pineapple. This stuff is expensive but my favorite freeze dried fruit.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BQ5DHG/?tag=survivalmonke-20 This deal will be coming up.

Daily LOL! from the Q & A section:
    Question: Does it have to stay frozen?
    Answer: No it doesn't and it won't be shipped to you frozen either! Freeze Dried means that the process for drying the fruit is to flash freeze it, then evaporate the ice. This preserves the nutritional value of the fruit and will lock in flavors so you get a highly satisfying and healthy snack!
    By Isofrut Seller on February 20, 2018

Here is Corbin the Corgi:
    11._TTD_. ...

GrayGhost likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Might be time to run a batch thru the dehydrator. The moisture removal means and methods are different, but looks to me like the product would be effectively the same. Anyone try it?

In the meantime, I'll add some to my cart.

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It hasn't gone to the Prime Day price yet. But I highly recommend if you like pineapple. Try it then if you like it, JC/Safecastle runs specials on dehydrated pineapple. He had cases for half price 2 months ago.

The Swiss Army knives for $10 sold out quickly.
    Victorinox Swiss Army Pocket Knife

17._TTD_. 34._TTD_.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm looking to get a security camera system,,,this what I'd like to have ,,,,maybe not necessarily what I can afford tho.
    ---4-6 cameras,,I figure I need 4 to be able to fully cover the house and existing buildings , at least 1 for road traffic , and 1 extra, maybe closeup at front door.
    ---motion detection , maybe alert me to movement on my phone , with 2 way speaker system so I could let them know I can see them would be great
    ---infrared,, night vision
    --- zoomable , maybe just zoomable after recorded, to get positive facial recognition
    ---I want clear pictures,,,I don't understand that 420, 1080 stuff
    ---I guess the control box can record
    ---I can run the wires , I don't want to have to keep replacing batteries
    ---color, not B/W
    ---I may be viewing approximately 200 feet of distance per camera
    --- so I would need to be able to add wire to get them to where I want to mount them , so if I could get by without having to by some special cord would be nice, also I will need to run the cables underground
    ---any other needed features you'd suggest

To any of you that has a system , maybe give me a few suggestions , not saying I need all of these features , but these are just some that seems to me would make a nice system. I don't want to break the bank , but I've seen some systems that aren't really worth having , no matter what they cost. What's an average cost of a good camera ?? What's a good name brand ?? I know of only one place locally that seeks this stuff , but every time I've been in there , I've left because they wouldn't even acknowledge my existence, so I just walked out , really , 5 or 6 different times , literally. So I refuse to give them any of my money,,,ever. Thanks for your help..

7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

@SB21 I've switched over to Samsung HD cameras/dvr for a decent compromise in price versus performance. MUCH better resolution and night visibility than the standard definition ones they replaced.

Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I run Blue Iris software with IP cameras. This allows me to use a variety of different cameras like a semi fisheye on the carport, a zoom on the front of the house, and a pan-tilt-zoom on the radio tower that I can move anywhere. They are IP, which means they are fed with a Cat-5 network cable, and can attach to any point on the network.
    If I were to buy a boxed system, I would get either Foscam in 720p or SV3C (www.sv3c.com) in 1080p. I have started using the SV3C cameras exclusively as my others fail and need replacement. Facial recognition will require a close to the subject camera, same for license plates. When you do a software zoom, the pixels get larger and so does the distortion. Optical zoom is only marginally better.
    The pro's of a software system is more control, better motion detection, more ways to manipulate the video. The con is that it takes a hefty computer.
    The NVR systems all run Linux and even though the size of a vcr, the computer in most is the size of two packs of cigarettes. Not a bad thing but only so much manipulation capability.

ochit likes this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

If you can get a system that can handle 8 cameras. You may not need them now but I promise you will find a need later on. Our system is pretty much plug n play with upgraded cameras and I have no problems with it. If you go this route you will need extra cable-make sure the system will support the distance you require. If you have acreage consider quality game cameras as a long range addition to your system. That's what we do here and it works well.

10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

To Motomom,,,,I didn't mean to hijack your thread,,,,,I have been looking at security cameras on Amazon and just posted this without thinking about it. Hope I haven't caused any disruptions,,,[gone]

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  11. Tully Mars

Moto thrives on disruptions:D

ochit and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

LOL!!! [touchdown] you know me well. Informative thread drifts are my favorite. Please carry on, I can change the title. Also we are looking into getting game cams to try and catch thieves on our job sites. Your discussion is saving me research. Carry on! :)

PS- Prime Day seems to be a bust. I have not ordered one thing. The few things I was looking at went fast and I found a better price elsewhere.

Tully Mars, ochit and Alf60 like this.
  13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Amazon has failed me. Two years ago I bought tons from them. Now, it would seem everything is higher on Amazon even with prime and the free shipping. Just today I ordered noise canceling headphones for work. Amazon was $399 with free shipping. B&H Photo was $299 and $16 shipping. Anymore I just order Kindle books.

Motomom34 and SB21 like this.
  14. Tully Mars

Check these out
    Moultrie Game Cameras
    I use these all over the place here. Very good stuff, great customer support. Very good repair/upgrade policy as well. It's a popular brand down here.

Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

As a follow up to mazon Prime Day 2018. They have released what was the top two selling items in the US.
    In the United States, Amazon sold over 300,000 six-quart Instant Pots and 150,000 LifeStraw personal water filters, making them two of the top-selling items in the country.
    These were the top-selling items on Amazon Prime Day around the world
    I find that interesting that LifeStraws were one of the hottest items for Prime day. Preppers? Campers? don't know.

Tully Mars likes this.
  16. Tully Mars

I know where some are headed but I don't understand why someone would only order 10,000 LifeStraws..;)

GrayGhost and Motomom34 like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Would you believe it's to replace 10,000 plastic straws to keep turtles from getting one stuck up it's nose?

The enviro-whackos are having a field day with that one.

GrayGhost and Tully Mars like this.
  18. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Thanks, @ghrit . My desk is now covered in gatorade.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7