Privilege

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M118LR, Sep 19, 2017.

1. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

COMNAVKITCHENSINK Directed that we dine at Mission BBQ this evening. Once again I got to relive that FROGMAN "OLD NAVY" Privilege. Established 11 SEP 2011, my last consultation ended with a few free passes and this last dining experience added a couple more gratis meals. The atmosphere is 100% first responder / militaristic. Got to say I feel welcome.
    Sign on the wall questions how hard you would play if you knew it was your last day, when COMNAVKITCHENSINK posed that question to me I responded that I was no longer in the game. But If I could have just one more day to play, I might go UA. She questioned my response, so I answered. If I could have just one more chance to play I'd rather spend it sharing the day so that those who have gone before me got a chance to play with the little ones here today. I could pass on one more day to allow the future to share with those past. I've had my time on the field, and all those mentioned and more picked up the tab. Perhaps it's near time I Volunteer and flipped a few flapjacks for the folks at the VFW?

2. M118LR

The dreaded double post!
    I'm not accustomed to explaining my last, but after a Cuban Cohiba & a couple of Bailey's in Colombian Coffee, I've got some "splaining to due Lucy" while stealing a quote.
    It takes a certain amount of Bravado and allot of to stubborn not to quit, and refuse to ring the bell and grow to be the "BADDEST THING IN THE MANGROVES". But there is a whole bunch of humility experienced when flipping flapjacks in service of those that spent even a day in the "War to end all Wars", nothing I've ever done while wearing a uniform has been as humbling as spending Veterans Day on the chow line for those of the "Greatest Generation". Yes I've earned all the Commercial free "STUFF" (clean version) tossed at US Vet's on Veterans Day, but I consider it a privilege to be allowed the humbling experience of being selected to serve those that served US without hesitation in our greatest time of need. JMHO.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Service to others that have walked the walk is easy.... and a very rewarding experience. Good on you @M118LR [winkthumb]
    Ringing the bell is not an option..... gut it out to the finish!!

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Tell me about the Cuban Cohiba, Myself I prefer the Monte Cristo's

5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Belindas here....

3M-TA3, M118LR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm with you. At my Legion Post, the majority of our members are from the WW11 era. Some of these guys are pushing 70 + years continuous membership. And like you, when in their presence , I almost feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. I feel that there is not enough that I can do for them. This even goes for our Korean War veterans. And , believe me, there is no lack of respect for our VietNam veterans here , or any veteran for that matter , but these WW11 guys just hold a special spot in my heart. We don't even get the WW11 guys at the meetings anymore , they're just not able to make the meetings, age driving abilities , health, etc. but we're planning to do something a little special at our post come Veterans Day, for these , and other veterans .
    While I don't smoke anymore , I will turn up a bottle of Bourbon for these guys, at my next sitting.
    Thank you all for your service.

Dunerunner, Motomom34, M118LR and 5 others like this.
  7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

It is time well spent.
    For many years now, where ever I've lived I've made it a point to go into a local VFW a few times a year. I give the bartender a 100 and tell them the drinks are on me til it's gone. I do it quietly and leave. Having not served I'm not a member, it's just one way I try and say thanks to those that have.
    Our church and several local groups put on breakfasts, catfish feeds, etc and I like to help with those. It's great fun, and you hear the most interesting stories from the old folks. We have two gents who hit Omaha on June 6th. One was a Ranger the other was 1st ID. The stories those gents tell.. We've struck up a good friendship and I kinda look out for them along with a few others. I'd much rather hang out with folks of their generation than I would with the Y,X or M generations.

SB21, Motomom34, M118LR and 4 others like this.
  8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have an old uncle that served in WWII and Korea. His WWII time was spent on the graves registration unit in Germany at the end of the war and a year or so after it ended. I can well understand why he does not speak of what he saw there.
    He got out of the Army, but got called back in for Korea. All he says about Korea is... "It was cold. So cold."
    He's pushing 90 now, blind in one eye, has lost a foot to disease, and his home burned a few years back, so he lives with his daughter. He's a tough old soldier.

Dunerunner, SB21, M118LR and 4 others like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

My great uncle served the same, WWII and Korea.....never talked much about it whatsoever....guess he had his fill of thinking about any of it. He has passed some years ago...but his memory lives on!!

Seawolf1090, Dunerunner, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  10. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

All gave some, some gave all.

Dunerunner, SB21, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Grand Dad and several cousins and uncle served in WW2 and wars after, being around them is/was humbling!
    My Grand dad spoke often of his time in WW2, he was a tank commander, part of a select group to field the new M-26 in it's first combat! He never told of any thing specific that came before or after the switch, only of the new tanks and crews. it wasn't until I came home from my first combat deployment that he shared his real stories, those left me is shock and awe, the WW2 vets went through unimaginable hell, and the Korean and Vietnam wars were just as bad! Those that fought those wars were tough, real tough, and they never spoke of what they saw and did! I always give a thanks to a fellow vet, no matter when they served, they most assuredly deserve it! To stand in the presence of those men sure make me feel pride and respect, knowing what they went through!

GOG, Dunerunner, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  12. M118LR

My favorite has always been the Upmann Corona Major with the SM factory mark on the bottom of the box. Tubes seemed to fair better afield. While the current Cuban Upmann's don't seem to reach the potential of what I remember, Cohiba has taken the deepest fall. The last couple of Monte Cristo #1's and Torpedo/Perfecto's when not rolled to tight or suffering from blue spot, have been about the same quality as I recall.
    It was only after my return from Dessert Storm that the WWII Vet's in the family opened up closed lips and conversed with me about thier service time. Perhaps it was the wry smile from Uncle Stanley (WWII Darby Ranger & Paratrooper) when I jested that those after WWII hadn't known what it was to be a WINNER? But the silent generation had remained silent until after Desert Storm. (At least in the family) Uncle Stanley had never even conversed with his own Son Butch (also a Nam Vet) about his exploits, so both I and all the other family members present did not expect His Testimonials.

GOG, Tully Mars, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Volunteering is good. Some do because it helps them as much as it helps others. My Aunt is knitting hats and mittens for veteran families plus she helps at the legion also. I know many spouses of service people who are very active in veterans charities.

M118LR, GOG, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Never been much of a cigar guy, but I have been smoking a pipe for close to 25 years! Give me a good Scottish Brier, and a smooth blend of Belgian or Danish tobacco, and i'm in smoking heaven!

M118LR likes this.
  15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I met an old WW11 veteran a few years back. I was doing some work for him at his house. One day , lunchtime came , so I grabbed by bag from the truck and sat out under a tree, the fellow told me to come inside, so we sat at his kitchen table and talked. I think we already knew we were both vets, and both from combat areas , him more than me. He just started talking, said a friend of his introduced him to his son that was in Desert Storm . The old man said something along the lines of , " Well , I guess you've seen a little blood " , the boy told him, "Yeah, seen it running down the streets ". This old guy was a battlefield commissioned officer, battled the Germans for months at a time in the mountains , I don't remember where, but he told of being re supplied at night , by mules , bring up beans and bullets, and hauling down dead bodies , pushing back and forth , swapping trenches on each push, and spoke of having to smell the rotting corpses from both sides, depending on which trench line he was occupying. Spent 6 months in the hospital when he came home from injuries, he said the majority of his injuries was from malnutrition from not being able to eat because of the stench from the bodies.
    So this old fellow, said he never really talked to the boy because he said to me , " You know how much blood it takes to run down the streets ! "
    He told a few stories like this, then a little later, he said , " I don't really know why I'm telling you this, I've never really told anybody some of this stuff ". I thanked him for his sacrifices, and for telling me his stories, and said I'd listen anytime he wanted to talk.
    Our greatest generation, hands down.

M118LR, GOG, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Meerschaum. Mine isn't even broke in yet, top shelf. Both G-pa and Pop (Pop was a vet, G-pa was 4F, amputated foot) were vets, both were contemplative pipe smokers and had occasional stories of "activities."

M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

With my Dad getting up there in years, My brothers and I have been having him sit down with a digital video camera and having him tell all his Navy memories, from his first days in Basic, to his Captains Commission and his ships command, all his combat cruises, his days at the naval war collage, and his teachings after retirement! Almost 40 years Dad has given to his country, and we really need to preserve that history, if only for our family! Much of it we never knew, even my mom, who is also sharing her memories that mesh with all of it! What a life he lived, one of the scariest men alive, if it involved a fight at sea, he was one of the last you ever wanted to go up against! For those fellow Monkey Vets, Please, Please, sit down and record your own part of history, It needs to be heard and shared!

If your ever in need, I make my own pipes, one or two a year, and would be happy to carve one up for any monkey that wants one! I have never done one in Meerschaum, but Know where to get blocks of it, and am told it's pretty easy to work with!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
    M118LR, GOG, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

If you ever post this anywhere that can be viewed by non family members , I would consider it an honor to be able to watch it.
    I was never one that wanted to spend that much time on a boat. But I watched a History channel clip of a ship in battle during WW11, and it gave me a whole new outlook, and respect for them guys. Don't take this as any kind of disrespect prior to seeing this clip.

M118LR, GOG and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I had the honor of spending 3 weeks on board ship with my Dad during my leave in 2005, and it was an awesome experience! One thing that always struck me was how vulnerable the crew are, and how much they have to rely on each other to keep the ship fighting let alone floating! When we get the video finished, ( and with Dads blessing) I will post it so folks can view it! I will be a gold mine for those who enjoy Naval warfare and history, and told by some one on the cutting edge of Destroyer operations through three transition periods, He explains each ship and how it was best employed, and does a comparison of the three types he commanded with all the good and the bad!

SB21, M118LR, GOG and 2 others like this.
  20. M118LR

I had the Duty of assembling my FATHER's Shadow Box. (I'd might rather have your experience, but then again I might not have survived those times with my Father in Korea) It is distressing, but my own Father only shared the most light hearted of his service memories with me. It wasn't until his passing that I inquired into his experiences. A miniaturized DD 214 was all that He left.
    "Korean Service Ribbon / United Nations Service Medal / National Defense Service Medal."
    "(Platoon Sergeant) Co "M" 21st Infantry Regiment."
    He went from E1 to E7 on his first night "In Country". The sole Enlisted Survivor. His entire obligated service was less than 19 Months. I must Honestly admit that He has always been, and shall always be my HERO. But Ben Rumson was much closer to being my mentor. LOL.

Tully Mars, SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7