1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Probation period for new members

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by melbo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

UPDATE: We are still working out the details of this plan in this new software. This probation period is currently not in effect since we are manually vetting all new users. This will change again in the future. 7/25/12

Hi All,

With the increasing Spam on the board, we've had to make a few changes to the way we handle new registrations at survivalmonkey. We've been hit a few times with a new member who then accesses our PM and email systems to mass Spam the entire membership.

Effective yesterday, all new members must make 5 posts somewhere on the forum before they become 'Full Members'. I know that this has affected some of you long time lurkers who like to read and not post but it was a necessary step.

Probationary membership, (less than 5 posts), also restricts access to the few 'private' forums here.

Please make some (5) 'useful' posts and then you will be granted full access.
  2. Bluelew

Bluelew Monkey++

Good idea.
  3. medstud

medstud Just a pilgrim

Would replying to this post work?
  4. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

do a new member post 1st
  5. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Yup. [booze]
  6. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

and we require 4 joke posts also, only good jokes though. If they aren't funny then it doesn't count.
    bgner and Nadja like this.
  7. mommabear

mommabear Monkey+++

Good Idea, if nothing else it brought me back to this forum :)
  8. puck

puck Throw down your chains!

Sounds like a good idea to me!
  9. RightHand

RightHand Pioneer in a New World Moderator Founding Member

It's good to see that our new members are supportive and understanding of this new policy. Thanks guys and gals
  10. FightN4Freedom

FightN4Freedom Rogue & Rapscallion

Probation? I didn't do it! I swear! Oh wait, that's WHY I'm on probation. Dang, this forum stuff is hard!
  11. gnr782

gnr782 Monkey++

I'm working on my probation period. This is my first post. I found this website after being turned on to the book "One Second After". Looking into similar works I found "Lights Out". I have since been working on my BO strategy. It is a great mental exercise to think about what is needed and what I would do when TSHTF. Thanks for all of the advice and please keep it coming. (one post down, 4 to go!)
  12. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Welcome aboard gnr782. Now go to the welcome forum and get another one -
  13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

Can I get probation too Judge? I really didn't do it anyway, but my court appointed public defender told me to take a plea. Since he is college edumecated en everything I trust him. He told me "hard time" could be a real pain in the butt, then he laughed. He never did explain what that meant. Anyway, since I am innocent can I get probation please?
  14. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

:lol:...innocent... :lol:
  15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

.Pure as the new snow. Would I lie? Honest, I swear... oops I mean I promise.
  16. tellydoug

tellydoug Who is John Galt?

I am glad to be here, hope to pick up a few new ideas and maybe share some thoughts...
  17. Catdaddy

Catdaddy Monkey+

Sounds like a reasonable request to me, but after I get riled up, you may wish you hadn't asked for more...
  18. iceman121

iceman121 just starting

And let this be my first post. So far this looks like a great site. Lot to learn here.
  19. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Welcome aboard and thanks for understanding. Catdaddy, If 5 posts isn't enough to stop some of the spam we've been dealing with, we'll have to up it a bit.
  20. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

I think 5 is to little i think bumping it up will help.. I know at other forums I am on they are getting hit big time with spammers... If your interested my .02 is your going to participate so...[winkthumb]
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary