Problems With The Monkey Tree….Alpha Monkeys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grandpa Patch, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Problems with the Monkey Tree...no way! Yes, the problem that we have is that there are too many “Alpha Monkeys” in the same tree. We don’t have any Beta, Charlie, Delta Monkeys. Why not? The very subject and nature of survivalmonkey requires an Alpha Monkey personality. We are not ‘sheeple’.

We are not standing by and doing nothing, while the world goes ‘to hell in a handbasket”. We have a plan, or at least an idea of a plan, and are working to make that plan happen. It is not an overnight process. Preps take time, resources, energy, etc.. We don’t just wake up and say ‘I’m going to the store to pick up my entire prep plan’. It doesn’t work that way.

So what do we do here at survivalmonkey. We share information, help with information and support each other as best we can with the knowledge we have or information that we have access to. Survialmonkey is a great big resource of information that can be accessed without ever creating or posting a single thread. Browse through the resources and articles, read what you are interested in and move on. Right?

Wrong! We are humans and as such want/need/tolerate/enjoy the company and support of other humans. We learn from, teach, and share with other humans. In the process of doing so, we run into ‘fender benders’ and rub someone the wrong way. Not intentionally, but by our very nature as Alpha Monkeys. We have to respond to a post if we need to defend our position, correct a wrong (actual or otherwise) or share information that may enhance or update someone else’s information. Our belief systems, societal perspectives, upbringing, background, job history, worldly experiences all come into play when we do so. Also, our form of communication here is written not verbal and we can not see each other. So speech patterns (pace, inflections, laughter, scorn, etc…) and body language (doing the ‘happy dance’ while pointing at each other) are not included in our communications.

Personally, I measure my time here at survivalmonkey in months. I have not been here for years or since the beginning. Even so, I can still read posts that have been here on the board a lot longer than I have been a member. Honestly, I find the old posts to be boring. Not because they lack good information, but because of their date. If I respond, then I am simply pulling up old threads and probably boring the hell out of the older members. I prefer to use the resources and articles for information and then stay within the present date threads for discussion, humor or tin foil conversations. I enjoy sharing a good meme, weather information or other non-critical information with everyone and reading their posts as well. Do any of these posts affect anyone’s preps. No. They are just our way of staying connected with the Monkey Tree. There are some great posts that can help, direct and influence the how/what/where/why of someone’s plan, but they will not ‘poof’ magically make it appear. Again, working the plan takes time.

So in the meantime, we all post and laugh at each other. We are not picking on each other and I have not seen any direct “@name, you are an idiot” type of posts. I have seen responses that offer differing points of view, links to other sources of information and even some ‘healthy debate’. Again, I have not seen “@name, you are an idiot” but it seems like there have been some ‘feathers getting ruffled’ over posts and responses that for all intents and purposes have no impact on lives today, our plans for tomorrow or the status of our current preps.

Our Code of Conduct has not been violated. The Mannerly Art of Disagreement has been adhered to, to the best of my knowledge. By our very nature, we are all Alpha Monkeys and just need to take some things ‘with a grain of salt’ or maybe ‘have a Snickers’.

Some references:
    Code of Conduct discussion - 2015
    The Mannerly Art of Disagreement
    Resources
    Articles
    Monkey’s and Political Posts

25 Characteristics of an Alpha Male
    I have copy/paste this article into this post. While the article is “Alpha Male” I believe it equally applies to male or female (Alpha Monkeys) for the purposes of this post.

CHARACTERISTICS OF A REAL MAN
    The Alpha Male, the real man, a man’s man, a warrior, a stand-up guy. It doesn’t matter what you call him, he’s a leader, the guy others look to for motivation, inspiration, and often with a hint of jealousy. He’s the man women want, without intention the center of attention.

He’s the guy, the man.

1. The alpha male is persistent. There’s no quit in this man. He’s the tortoise not the hare. He’s the last man standing.

2. The alpha male can defend himself and his family. He can handle himself with his fists, to put it another way.

3. The alpha male is in peak physical shape. He’s strong and athletic as well as aesthetically pleasing to the opposite sex.

4. The alpha male is courageous. He doesn’t lack fear, rather, he accepts that it exists and faces it at every opportunity.

5. The alpha male can entertain. He has a sense of humor and can have a group of people hanging on his every word – he’s a good story teller.

6. The alpha male has stories to tell. He’s lived – and is living – a unique life. He’s made mistakes, but he’s able to find humor in them. He’s had adventures that everyone wants to hear about.

7. The alpha male can laugh at himself. This is an over looked characteristic of an alpha male, but a necessary one.

[​IMG]

You can’t make fun of the alpha male because he’ll join in, no one can make fun of him better than he can.

8. The alpha male is humble. Some of this comes from his ability to laugh at himself. No matter what he accomplishes, his head will never balloon, and if it does, he has the ware-with-all to come back down to earth before it gets out of hand.

9. The alpha male is learned, educated. A degree isn’t a prerequisite, but a thirst for knowledge is. He wants to learn, and he does. This helps him relate to people from every social and economic standing. He can converse intelligently with the business man and the preacher. The history buff and the sports nut.

10. The alpha male is a man’s man. He’s a hard guy not to like or want to have a beer with. He’s tough, often quiet, composed, but can joke and shoot the shit with anyone.

11. The alpha male knows the value of every word, he doesn’t talk simply to hear the sound of his own voice. His words are chosen carefully. He respects their power. Whether he’s writing or speaking, he doesn’t speak to be hear, he speaks when he has something of value to say. He’s never the loudest one in the room.

12. The alpha male has a purpose. This may be his most defining trait. Where many wander through life trying to find their Self, the alpha male is too busy creating his Self. Every day he does something to bring himself closer to his goal. He isn’t a wanderer, he’s going places; it’s so obvious that everyone around him can see it.

13. The alpha male is a hard worker. He knows that nothing great is accomplished without hard work and a definite purpose.

14. The alpha male is a warrior not a worrier. He understands that certain things aren’t under his control. He does everything he can to control what he can, but doesn’t worry about what he can’t. He’s not worried about tomorrow, he’s too busy working for today.

15. The alpha male doesn’t pick a fight, but he ends it if he’s in one. He isn’t a bully. He isn’t an emotional wreck that looks for a fight at every corner. But, if the logical thing to do is to fight because the situation calls for it, he will. He’ll also never hit a man when he’s down. He isn’t fighting to destroy, but to defend.

16. The alpha male has style. He takes pride in how he looks and people respect him for that. He also knows how to dress like a man. You’d never call the alpha male a metrosexual.

17. The alpha male knows who he is, his values govern his life. He doesn’t stray from these values, in fact he stands up for them. Even when he stands alone in what he believes is right, he digs his heels in and fights.

[​IMG]

18. The alpha male knows how to treat a lady. He respects women, often because he’s had some great one’s in his life. He’s chivalrous.

He helps his lady at every chance. He helps her reach her dreams, all-the-while moving closer to attaining his own.

19. The alpha male isn’t a sucker. He isn’t a clinger. He doesn’t go out of his way to please everyone because that’s a futile endeavor. He won’t let a woman run his life. He’s his own man. Though he worships the ground his lady walks on, he knows how to pick ’em. He won’t be with a control-freak or a jealous woman. He has the social intelligence to see that storm before it peeks it’s nasty little head.

20. The alpha male is a man of value. “Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.” Einstein knew that success is reached if you’re valuable to others. The alpha male is a man of value and values. He makes the lives of others better by being a part of them.

21. The alpha male helps others, he’s generous. He has his purpose, but he knows that life isn’t merely about accomplishments, but about leaving a legacy. That legacy is how he made others feel, and how he helps others accomplish their dreams.

22. The alpha male is a leader who leads by example. He doesn’t tell people how to live, but lives in the manner he sees as best to live.

23. Alpha males throughout history, Achilles, William Wallace, and Napoleon, saw opportunity where others saw failure. The alpha male will fail, but he won’t see failure as the end. He’s sees it as a necessary part of the experience, a stepping-stone. Knowing this allows him to try things others won’t, and to work harder when others usually quit.

24. The alpha male is stubborn. When he starts something he’s passionate about, no one can stop him or pull back on the reigns. He’s in it until the end. He’s also open-minded and willing to listen to other points of view. He knows he’s flawed and stubborn, so he gives way and learns from people who are better than him.

25. The alpha male doesn’t try to be an alpha male. That’s where so many fail. He is interested in life, in living. He’s fascinated by the world around him, in becoming the best man he can possibly become. He genuinely cares about people. He passionately works hard. He’s excited by life, by the opportunity that each day presents. He’s genuine in every facet of who he is. Each of the characteristics are possessed by him naturally, or will be as he grows as a man. Bred from curiosity, a genuine kindness, and a warrior’s heart, he is who he is, and all others follow him wherever he will lead them.

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Don't claim to be an alpha male, as a kid I learned that there are fights and then there are fights. The ultimate purpose in life is to survive, the second goal is to do it as comfortably as possible. The Lt may be completely wrong, but at times the best action is to salute and say "Yes Sir", keep your head down, mouth shut, minimize the damage, serve your time and get out. The customer or boss may be a pain in the butt, but if he , in the sense of the total group, isn't happy with your actions, you will be looking for another job. If your marriage, and I use that word instead of significant other, is going to survive, there are times that the only correct answer is "Yes Dear". My life has had many "Watch this and hold my beer moments" and so far I have survived by holding the beer and watching rather than playing the fool. I may be a total pain to the other Monkeys, make comments that have little to do with survival or the topic, was raised in a time and by a group that valued communications, interactions, knowledge, and the Bible, and tend to reflect those customs in my posts.
    I find the Monkey valuable in many ways, I enjoyed Paul, he left us much to soon, he supplied me with many resources that I value and still use, I enjoy the beautiful pictures and watching Hanzo and his family interact. It is a wonderful touch of sanity in a crazy world and without the Monkey, I would never be able to enjoy it or even know it existed. Other members are trying things that interest me, be it Bishop's dog training or primitive weapons, living off grid, new gardening treatments, etc, or others commenting on coming back to the US after military deployments or just being out of country. I have had the pleasure of seeing some of the human side behind the words of some excellent authors, DKR, ChrisNuttal, etc, and would never been able to without the Monkey. I really can't say that I feel one way or another about the Monkey as it exists, I can say the the people that make up the Monkey and their many facets, are one of the last major pleasures left to me in this rapidly changing world. I have no idea if those changes are going to be good or bad, but they are happening in a way that is effecting my value systems, my economic systems, my interactions with others, the political system I exist in, etc, and in the Monkey I at least see some others who are also observing this and are also trying to find some comfort in getting thru these times.
    In my mind there are some excellent blogs out there, Woodpile Report , Rawles, lot of political, economic, gardening, etc blogs, and I enjoy reading them, but I do so as an outside observer and am not really involved. So far the unique feature of this forum has been the interactions that we have as a group and that we are all involved, warts and all, and have the pleasure of communicating with those we wish and ignoring those we do not wish to.
    Duane, I guess a Beta male.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  3. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I generally don't want to be the boss/alpha male, but I will if no one else steps up or if I am uniquely suited for the job.

As for the climate here at SM, I agree it is quite civilized. I've never said "@so-and-so is an idiot," but I've thought it many times!

There is one member here who seldom has anything meaningful to say; 90% of their posts are trolling, snarky comments. That the SM moderators let it go on as long as it has reflects poorly on them. I would have banned this member's ass years ago, or at least limited them to posting only in the Inferno. Getting rid of this one single person would greatly improve the vibe here.

I accept that I don't run this place and don't get a vote. So it is. But don't think no one notices.

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[LMAO][LMAO][LMAO][LMAO][sarc2][kissit]:lol::lol::lol::lol:[lolol][lolol][lolol][lolol][lolol][lolol][lolol][nutkick][LMAO][LMAO]

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

An alpha is someone I let think he or she is the boss so I can accomplish my goals, . They are always looking for ways to demonstrate their "alphaness". I simply assist by suggesting ways they can do that that, which also happen to be things I seek to get accomplished.

Anyone with the arrogance to think they are all that or they are a master of knowledge is getting themselves ready for a big fall, just like the saying "pride goeth before the fall".

Not an alpha male here and no desire to be. I will lead if needed, if others lead I will guide them as best I can while being as otherwise useful as possible. I will ALWAYS learn where the opportunity is presented, and many times those opportunities come from those who are otherwise ignored.

6. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I can follow if need be, but generally I set the standard based on my own moral fortitude. And the grace of God
    as a measuring stick. I truly do not care what others think, why that sounds rude, or that I am being obtuse towards others.
    I am not, I simply trust my way, much more the anyone else's. I am the protector of the weak, and those that society turns their heads away from. I can be the most loyal friend anyone can have, I also am someone you do not want to cross. People often a their own peril mistake my calm and quietness as a weakness, up until the time they are either verbally or physically knocked of their feet.
    I am a problem solver, and will work days, months, years to solve something and seldom ever give up. As far as forums go, I come to find knowledge or reaffirm my own, while a hierarchy does exist in these forums, I never really look at them serious control over a forum, as they are one or two trolls away from being taken of the foundations. I do not know what and alpha male is, and to be honest I do not care. I was raised old school, your handshake is your bond, so is your word. When I first opened a business about 25 years ago, there was no contracts, just a hand shake. Women should be treated like Goddesses in my book, you raise a hand to a lady or child and I am there, it will be the last thing you do with that hand. While others run away from emergencies, I run towards it often have put my own life at risk for strangers. If you have not learned by my post, I do not see labels on people. A good friend of mine I used as a job reference told a potential employee, he said " Many People have many Friends, even those that will help you move, but said I was the type of friend that would help you move a body" I got the job. I still have secrets from my past that I kept for others. Honor and loyalty are key in you are in my life. Labels belong on soup cans.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I just enjoy having thick skin . and a numb skull .

oldawg, Grandpa Patch, Zimmy and 5 others like this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I always looked at the "Alpha male" title as a lable for those that aren't one.

9. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Or as the saying goes, if you have to tell everybody you are one, then you probably aren’t.

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm just a Bayou heathen who believes in having fun with what I'm doing...Including posting.
    I have no use for a self proclaimed ''Alpha'' it has been my life experience that this type is an a-hole to begin with.
    I do my thing,read here and hopefully retain some of whats posted.
    Bottom line,I intend to continue to develop my place for hard times that runs in cycles...and we are overdue.

oldawg, Grandpa Patch, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

On second thought, why is being an honest, intelligent, motivated leader a problem? (Regardless of gender)

12. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

If you came here for sheeple I believe you have come to the wrong place

13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm an alpha gender fluid, non heteronormative, flamboyantly attired, non theist, social justice pacifist, who's just a tad bemused that its all about alpha MEN! I'm sure that the women here may have something to say about that....that is, after they pick themselves up off the floor, and dust themselves off from rolling around laughing. :LOL:

I am sure that one doesn't need to be an alpha male, to be self assured, confident, assertive, capable of using reasoning and considered argumentation in presenting their point of view in this community...Having a sense of humour, a sense of proportion, an ability to empathise without taking sh!t from anyone are also measures of a valued monkey community member. Intellectual honesty and intellectual generosity also maketh an alpha monkey, irrespective of gender.

oldawg, Grandpa Patch, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Im a zebra monkeys!
    By time you work down the list, im the last guy you will find!

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I loved John Wayne. I wanted to marry him when I was 8. I never would have thought of him as an Alpha male. His character was decent, up-standing gentleman but in real life I guess things weren't so rosy. Which is a good lesson, sometimes what we read/see or think is not real. Like on-line personas.... some may not be who you think they are. I have often read people have a false sense of bravado behind the key board. Some members may have the most abrupt way of writing while in real life, they would do anything for a fellow monkey. @Grandpa Patch is very correct, feelings are often left out of a forum post.

@Tevin only one? :whistle:

16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

there are lots of folk that think themselves to be alphas, They just found that by being loud, obnoxious they could get people to do what they wanted .. but that does not make them alphas. That makes them useful idiots, and easily manipulated into becoming sacrificial lambs.

17. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, I admit there are times I just want to paint my face blue and burn down a few villages...
    Does that make me an Alpha?......SHIELD WALL! :)

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Like watching the SOTU last night? Hell i'm in!

19. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'm not an Alpha. There ain't anything left out there I'm willing to manage for a bunch of bitchy lemmings.

20. 45133_627129250656295_1671049253_n.
    Seemed right here....

snake6264, Ura-Ki, Alf60 and 8 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7