Progresssive Provides Cars for Vets in Need.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

We see Vets in need of transportation often, we purchased a Van for VA Medical visits and lack volunteers to run it more than two days a week.

It is good to see there are other avenues for Vets that lack transportation to get to a Job they found after being homless.

I guess we have FLO to thank for that program! Flo (Progressive) - Wikipedia

Keys to Progress

Application Information
    If you are a veteran and have interest in being a Keys to Progress program vehicle recipient you need to apply through a non-profit organization (e.g., charity, military association like a Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) post, Veterans Administration (VA) hospital, etc.) and meet specific criteria, including:

Be able to provide a DD214

Be below the Geographic Income Threshold for your county, reference VA’s Means Test for Priority Group 7 or 8 National Income Limits

Have a valid driver’s license

Have clean driving record – no major infractions in past seven years

Be able to insure and maintain the vehicle

Not own a vehicle currently or show a hardship with current vehicle

At least one year of income tax filing

Be able to cover recipient legal obligations and liabilities, including vehicle title transfer fees, all applicable sales tax and fees after one year of vehicle ownership, and insurance coverage after the first six months of vehicle ownership

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    GrayGhost, Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The criteria seems to exclude the unemployed, homeless, Vet...

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. HK_User

Explain Please

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Two items here, first is on call transport for those that don't have a car, second is assistance getting a car of their own. It is sad that there aren't more volunteer drivers. Where is it? Close enough, I'll sign up.

GrayGhost and sec_monkey like this.
  5. HK_User

Some have cars but not one that will make it to a VA Facility.
    Van Driver Quals is strict and most that are willing soon find that being a Volunteer Driver in a round trip of 200 miles is passing a comprehensive med and safety driving exam.

6. Dunerunner

@HK_User

There is a requirement to have a valid drivers license... Many of the homeless Vets I have encountered and are on the streets have no vehicle, no job, and no permanent address. They haven't the financial ability to maintain a vehicle, pay for insurance, licensing or registration in an ongoing manner. I know some who carry no identification of any kind, much less a copy of their DD214.

Thus the comment...

GrayGhost and Motomom34 like this.
  7. HK_User

None of this process happens instantaneously "Every November, we host this one-day vehicle giveaway event for veterans at various Progressive and body shop locations across the United States. Since 2013, we've donated more than 500 vehicles to veterans and veteran organizations."

The details is in the article site.
    As to others items, most are requirements any one could expect and since there is a number of months from App to acceptance then it would be normal to expect the Vet to know and have the monies in hand. A car is not a requirement to have a job, as long as you have transport!
    A few years back help was provided to a vet., in school he ran short of money. He lived out of his car and slept in the car, mostly on the College Lots. A address is only a minor point as long as you can check mail on occasion.

Many Homeless Vets have income other than jobs and the gifting group has to insure the recipient can maintain the insurance and upkeep otherwise this would only be window dressing, and a waste.
    That's were (as mentioned) only certified Vet Groups come in as being the sponsors.
    No job requirements only the ability to have basic liability insurance etc must be shown.

In short, the group I work with is aware of the "whole vet" and sometimes we go through financial training. We do not give money to a vet, we provide Whole Vet help.

Currently I am aware of Vets walking as far as 3 miles to work and happy to have a job. We are working on local sourcing a vehicle for that Vet.

Some Vets are homless by choice and do not want the hassles of their former life.

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One of the last things PaxMentis did was donate his RV to a veterans group. It was to go to a vet in need. An old RV will provide a home and transportation to one in need.

GrayGhost, Dunerunner and HK_User like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Thanks for what you do, sir. As a veteran, I appreciate every effort made to help those who want help and benefit from it. [winkthumb]

GrayGhost likes this.
  10. HK_User

Thanks, my pay is knowing I have helped a vet that needs the help.

Oddcaliber, Dunerunner and GrayGhost like this.
  11. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

What he said...thank you.

1. HK_User
  2. HK_User
  3. HK_User
  4. HK_User
  5. HK_User
  6. HK_User
  7. HK_User
  8. HK_User
  9. HK_User