Purchased two deer licenses today

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by stg58, Oct 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

I purchased my deer license today and noticed they have a special deal for hunters who have never or not for five years purchased a deer license you can get one for $5 :) so my wife bought one.
    I am sure "she' will fill her tag.....:)

A bit odd that tons of deer and they have to place an incentive on getting hunters out there.

2. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

We'd love to go hunting. However the leases we've found were running anywhere from $1500 to $5000 a spot. A buddy of ours always promises to let us go with him to his, but deer season rolls around and it never happens. Got tired of buying our licenses for nothing after a while. Now we just let the head hunters know we'll handle getting the heads off and transported for them in exchange for the rest of the body.

And before someone pops up to tell me how all I gotta do is go up to some old farmer and offer to fix some fence in exchange for hunting his property, don't. The old farmers here all know how much $$ they can make letting rich hunters come up from Dallas and Austin to hunt on their land, and they're not letting anyone but family on it for free.

Marck, Altoidfishfins, Ganado and 5 others like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

One of the reasons I fix my own fence.

Which reminds me, rains coming again and I'll see how the repaired fence holds up.
    Also I found a new hidey hole that was solid brambles last year. The floods killed all the brambles and left a nice shady spot. I'll see about taking a picture this afternoon.

Not enough deer left here after all the DFW attorneys and docs moved their weekender mansions here.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Marck, Ganado, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  4. stg58

Plenty of deer I have a doe tag also and if they don't get enough in the regular season they open up more special seasons. A friend and his group of five usually get a dozen+ per year.

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

Understood, long ago I had herds of deer as well as all the Turkey I could legally kill.
    Times change, enjoy your wealth.

Marck, Ganado, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Makes me miss Eastern Idaho, where hunters didn't cry over not getting "a" deer/moose/elk, but not getting the specific one(s) they wanted. Hunting here is still pretty good because my area is packed with Militant Vegans who only feel it's OK to shoot Republicans. Eventually they will ban hunting, then as soon as we have a white death due to excessive populations they will blame it on Globalclimatewarmingchangamajiggie.

I've started referring to meat around here as either "all natural organic tofu" or turkofu, steakofu, hamofu, etc.

Marck, Altoidfishfins, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  7. stg58

I just looked at the other tag and it has a doe permit also so we can bag 4.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Had a cou-zon last night that had bacon wrapped olives on the pit.

Marck, Ganado and stg58 like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

We be tripping over deer and elk around here. Had a doe right across the road the other night....tempting. :D

As soon as the snow flies in the mountains, the big herds of elk make their appearance.

Marck, kellory, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  10. stg58

Yes and when they go into rut the males get real stupid and car-deer accidents jump up.

Marck, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. Bishop
  4. shaman
  5. lonewolf88
  6. Bishop
    Any slingshot hunters out there?
    Thread by: Bishop, Feb 21, 2016, 15 replies, in forum: Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Motomom34
  9. Gator 45/70
  10. thegoldlock.com
  11. Motomom34
  12. Yard Dart
  13. kckndrgn
  14. Brokor
  15. Mountainman
  16. Tyler Danann
  17. Quigley_Sharps
  18. Brokor