Read this and thought it was interesting... opinions?

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by OldDude49, Mar 10, 2019.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

When I Want to Know if They Believe in the Same God

brings up some interesting questions and thoughts... does God exist and if so which God is that God...

seems Benjamin Franklin seems to of had a opinion...

As Franklin wrote in his autobiography: “I never doubted, for instance, the existence of the Deity, that he made the world and governed it by his Providence, that the most acceptable service of God was the doing of good to man, that our souls are immortal, and that all crime will be punished and virtue rewarded either here or hereafter” (emphasis added). Franklin and many of America’s founders were examples of ethical monotheists.

and Tomas de Torquemada had a different opinion...

the infamous Catholic head of the Spanish Inquisition

Dennis Prager

[​IMG] Thursday, April 5, 2018
    This affirmation of God as the only God—the central theological tenet of the Torah—raises a vitally important question: Do all people who believe in one god believe in the same god? More specifically, do they all believe in this God the Torah introduced to the world?

The answer—and to many this may come as a surprise—is, no. The reason this is so important is the God of the Torah (and the rest of the Bible) is often blamed by anti-religious people for any terrible actions committed by anyone who claims to believe in God.

When Jews, Christians, and Muslims—let alone people who identify with no specific religion—say, “I believe in God,” they are not necessarily talking about the same God, and certainly not necessarily talking about the God of the Torah. In fact, the statement, “I believe in God,” tells us nothing about a person’s beliefs or about the god in whom he or she believes.

Photo Courtesy: Thinkstock

[​IMG]
    The Same God?
    To cite an obvious example, a god in whose name believers cut innocent people’s throats, behead them, burn them alive, and rape girls and women—as is being done at the time of this writing by Islamist terrorists in the name of “the one God”—cannot be the same god as the God of the Torah, the God who gave the Ten Commandments, who commanded His people to “Love the stranger,” and demanded holy and ethical conduct at all times. Likewise, those Christians who in the Middle Ages slaughtered entire Jewish communities in the name of Christ also clearly did not believe in the God of the Bible (let alone in those Church leaders who condemned such atrocities)—as virtually every Christian today would acknowledge.

Yet, there are many people who argue that all those who say they believe in God believe in the same God.

Why do people make this argument? Because all too often they have an anti-religious agenda. They say all those who claim to believe in God believe in the same God in order to discredit God and religion, especially religions rooted in the Bible.

So, then, how are we to know whether any two people who say they believe in God believe in the same God, specifically the God of the Torah?

We can find out by asking three questions:

[​IMG]
    1. Do you believe in the God known as the "God of Israel?"
    Before responding, some people might need to have the term defined. The “God of Israel” is the God introduced to the world by the Jews and their Bible.

This is the God Who created the world, Who revealed Himself to the Jews, and Who made His moral will known through the Ten Commandments and the Hebrew prophets. Obviously, all believing Jews would answer in the affirmative. The great majority of religious Christians would as well.

If, after having “God of Israel” defined, a person cannot answer the question in the affirmative, it is fair to say the individual does not believe in the God of the Torah. He or she believes in another god.

[​IMG]
    2. Does the god you believe in judge the moral behavior of every human being--and by the same moral standard?
    There are many people today who say they believe in God, but not in a God who judges people’s actions. These people are generally to be found among those who affirm no specific religion. For them, “God” is an entirely personal thing.

Often, they will say “God is within me.” But, of course, if God is only within them, who outside of them will ever judge them? They can be fine people. But the question here is not whether there are any good people who do not believe in the God of the Torah. Of course there are. The question is whether all people who say they believe in God believe in the same God, and specifically in the God introduced by the Torah.

[​IMG]
    A God Who Judges
    People who believe in a god who does not morally judge them and all other people do not believe in the God of the Torah. In fact, a god indifferent to the moral behavior of human beings is so different from the God of the Torah that these believers might as well use a word other than “God.”

Now, one might argue Islamist terrorists also believe in a judging God, as did Tomas de Torquemada, the infamous Catholic head of the Spanish Inquisition. But this argument is not pertinent, because such individuals believe God judges people by their faith alone, not by their moral behavior— and believers can therefore torture and kill non-believers. That is not the God of the Torah.

[​IMG]
    Belief in the God of the Torah
    It should be clear, but in case it is not, it needs to be emphatically emphasized that one need not be a Jew—or a Christian, or a member of any faith—to believe in the God of the Torah. While it is the Torah’s aim that all humanity believe in the God revealed in the Torah, there is not the slightest suggestion anyone needs to become a Jew to do so.

Indeed, the purpose of the Jewish people—the purpose of being Chosen—is to bring humanity to the God of the Torah, which, by definition, also means accepting God’s moral demands (such as the “Noahide Laws” or the Ten Commandments).

The great Benjamin Franklin, one of America’s founders, was one such example: He did not affirm the Christian Trinity, and he was not a Jew. But he believed in the God introduced by the Hebrew Bible, in its moral teachings, and that this God morally judges all human beings. As Franklin wrote in his autobiography: “I never doubted, for instance, the existence of the Deity, that he made the world and governed it by his Providence, that the most acceptable service of God was the doing of good to man, that our souls are immortal, and that all crime will be punished and virtue rewarded either here or hereafter” (emphasis added). Franklin and many of America’s founders were examples of ethical monotheists. They were the type of people the Torah wants all people to be.

[​IMG]
    3. Do you believe in the God who gave the Ten Commandments?
    This question also needs to be asked even though it is included in the first question. The reason it needs to be asked is if God never revealed His moral will, how would we know what behaviors He demands from us and what acts He judges as wrong?

None of these comments are a judgment of individuals; they are a judgment of the statement, “I believe in God.” There are people who do not believe in the God of the Torah, and, for that matter, people who believe in no God, who are fine, upstanding individuals—just as there are people who believe in the God of the Torah who are not decent people. But for reasons made clear throughout this commentary, the best moral hope for mankind is to bring as many people as possible to belief in the God introduced by the Torah, though not necessarily to Judaism or any other religion. (While it is usually best to affiliate with a Torah-based religion, one can believe in the God of the Torah and in the Ten Commandments without being a member of a religion.)

When I Want to Know if They Believe in the Same God - Topical Studies

2. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

If you are a true believer which I personally am not sorry to say The one true God is everyone's god no matter to whom you believe

tacmotusn likes this.
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

That is where it gets interesting... IMHO... who is God to you that is the real question...

the one in the Torah or the one that is in the Koran or some other ?

tacmotusn likes this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

As a little bit of a doubting Thomas, let me say this. I have read old and new testaments of the bible multiple times in the last 60 years. Yes I believe in in the God of the Torah (is that not the first 5 books of the old testament), and the 10 commandments, as well as recognizing right and wrong, good and evil, God and the devil, the holy trinity, the rest of the old testament as well as the books of the new testament. I also believe in the forgiveness of God, that we are all flawed sinners, and that there is life after death. Throw the golden rule in there as well. I do have some problems with understanding the decisions of God with regard to loved ones and innocents who seem to pass way too early in life, and some of the obvious contradictions between the old testament and the new testament. I also am at time dismayed by millions of lives lost due to conflict between religions, race, ethnic origin, greed and lies. I also have a problem with most organized religious sect/groups. Live and let live unmolested if you can. Bless you all. Go forth, enjoy the wonders of life, try to do good both for others and yourself. :)

Motomom34, duane, techsar and 3 others like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Tac said everything for me and more... @tacmotusn Well said, sir!

tacmotusn likes this.
  6. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Me I am a True Believe in Crom the God of Steel in which I can slay my enemies

chelloveck likes this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

In the end, the only faith that counts is yours, we enter this world naked and afraid, live our lives, then leave naked and with what ever hope and belief we take with us. In my opinion, I will be judged on my beliefs and the life I have led. I hope and try to help others find their way, but I don't think any 3 rd party on earth or blindly following any set of earthly rules will connect me with God. IMHO throughout history all to many religions have been created to either justify someones actions or benefit its leaders and give them power. I think that there is something that I refer to as God and that many other people may see God in some other form than I perceive God and call that power a different name, but I also believe that men in order to fill some need, to enrich themselves,to control people or justify things have created many false gods and set up systems to worship those false gods. I try my best to avoid all arguments on religion, some are based on attempting to recruit you, they do not listen to you, some are based on doubt, they aren't really confident in their beliefs and are defending them to both you and themselves, and again will not listen, some are based on recruiting you into some earthly Ponsi scheme and if you don't fall for their line, they will either try to destroy you as a threat to their scheme or consider it a waste of time to continue to talk to you. When the ground is plowed and the rains are about to fall, then you can plant seeds and they will come up, in religion as in farming, only when conditions are correct, either rains or open heart and mind, will the seeds grow and mature.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    tacmotusn, snake6264 and Bandit99 like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I cannot believe he used Ben Franklin in his article. Good grief. Ben said: all crime will be punished and virtue rewarded either here or hereafter” Ben must have been rolling the dice with, thou shall not commit adultery. Ben was a known womanizer. Ben had his wife and a string of mistresses. His wife, bless her heart, raised one of his illegitimate children.

I believe in God. I try to be a good person. Organized religion seems to persuade their patrons to live by the churches interpretation of the Bible not their own

OldDude49, duane, mysterymet and 4 others like this.
  9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Ben deserves a break for 2 reasons; He was a great promoter of the consumption of beer. Maybe he got stuck on the Bible verse about "being fruitful and going forth and multiplying."

OldDude49, Motomom34 and mysterymet like this.
  10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

He like all of us was imperfect... and I suppose he was naughty as well...

BUT...

originally there was no real limit on wives/or concubines... till the new testament came along... it was what you could afford I guess...

hmmm..... ya know... hmmmm.... harem.... hmmm.... MUAHAHAHAHAaaaaa er nevermind...

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

600 years before Mohamed ,Jesus said , "Satan is a liar and the father of it."
    According to the Koran, Allah approves of lies and muslims feel prefect free to lie especially to the infidel .
    According to scriptures there are no liars in heaven , neither is there marriage or giving in marriage .
    God of heaven is not deceived . Jesus said ,"Not every one that says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven,"
    Matthew 7;21,22,23,
    God will divide the phony, from those He knows.
    Much like I obeyed the law of my dad ,and it carried with both my skill and his agenda for the day,So I obey the Law of the Father(God) via the Holy Spirit Jesus provides those genuinely devoted to Him .
    NO one but Jesus can grant this not another men or church organization ,but a personal relationship . Jesus even reprimanded is disciples saying " Why do you call me Lord, but do not do the things I tell you ?"
    Knowing scriptures is not enough , knowing about God is not enough .
    Devils know about God but that does not change their fate.
    One who believes, actually get's in with both feet . like boarding a plane or a boat .
    many people say they believe but in truth it is a lie because they ride the fringe ,sit on the fence.
    I have known people who boast them selves christian but afraid of knowing God's voice.
    Why should one be afraid of some one that say they believe in ?
    Do you sing "Amazing Grace" ? Is it real in you ,or a lie ?
    God regards ALL the words you use, for the way you value them . So is His response tempered by (transparency) humility and honesty, recognizing what you are, and Who He is.

tacmotusn likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7