Receiver Jigs

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tully Mars, Jun 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

That's the one @3M-TA3 !

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well the answer is in, and it isn't to save money. Same answer I gave in college doing trig, "you know you can do that on a calculator a lot faster than doing it on paper don't you?" Yeah, but this way I learn (mostly what I learned was never do trig, but that's another post) and I might not have a calculator when I need it.

Casting bullets can save you money and some people seem to like it. Same with reloading, I just enjoy doing it and find it relaxing, that I get to shoot cheaper is nice too. Yeah well, as often as I've able to get to the range in the last year I could shoot golden bullets (anyone catch the reference to the German High Command when jacketed bullets first came out and there was the old school lead shooters and the new kids on the block wanting jacketed bullets? No? I feel old. Heck, I AM old!) and the lay out wouldn't be too much different right now. On the other hand, I am all set to wipe out a LOT of zombies!

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

My "machine shop" consist of a 55 year old Logan 9X18" lathe,HF mill/drill, files, grinders,and cutoff saw. Those along with my torch and Hobart 140 mig accomplish 99% of everything I need to do "machining"wise.Don't not build because of lack of machinery. ARs and their "attachments"can be easily built with the most basic tools. Do it and other projects just to develop skills. Explanation about that mig: one of my sons talked me into going with it after 40yrs. of using various Lincoln tombstones.I like it.

4. Tully Mars

Still waiting on the AR jig, but the parts kit is here and the HK jig arrived today as well. Gotta say I'm impressed with it just out of the box. Much larger than the online pics show and appears to be very well built.

Ganado, kellory and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  5. Tully Mars

Picture 118. Picture 119. Picture 120. Picture 121. Picture 122.

Marck and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Tully Mars

Picture 123. Picture 124.

Marck and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Tully Mars

Here's the jigs for the HK series of rifles,ect. Picture 125. Picture 126. Picture 127. Picture 128. Picture 129.

Marck, Dont, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Here we go!!! [woot] [pop]

Ganado, Marck, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Well, we're waiting...

Idahoser, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Tully Mars

:D So am I DR! Seems that talking about a new house has led to a new house,at least the getting ready part-land clearing, perk tests, water hookups,well capping, foundation was dug yesterday.. This is why we've not been around the monkey much as of late. Have no fear, when the weather turns bad and @Sassenach ain't looking, I'll get back to the important stuff;)

11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol @Tully Mars. Did the sequence vortex. Get you?

Dunerunner, 3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  12. Tully Mars

I'm taking the 5th as Sass may be watching...;)

Ganado and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Understood and after having been through the process myself, keep very close to the project. When you have the time, brother. No rush. [winkthumb]

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The material would be aluminum. Type II anodizing is about .0002" thick type III is .006" thick. Type III Hardcoat or hard sulfuric anodizing.

15. Tully Mars

Although I haven't any pictures yet I thought I would post a short update.
    The jig and tooling works great so far. Will handle every receiver we've tried to date from different manufacturers. I actually have not used the router yet. We started off using an older well built drill press and it handled the milling process well, although we did notice some tool flex with the supplied end mill. Switched to a new 4 flute 1/2" end mill and it worked great. Have to admit I was doubting the outcome, but the press has handled it well. Went back and finished up with the supplied end mill. The table of the drill press was raised to the work so that kept from having to extend the vertical travel too much. Work was clamped in a drilling vice that has "X" and "Y" movement.

This appears to be faster than the router video IF you have a very good drill press. If you are not familiar with machining/metal working be prepared for a mess. One receiver generates a large amount of chips, let alone doing a few. Having an air compressor is very handy to clear away the chips as you're machining, both to help see the work and to keep the tooling clear. I use kerosene as a tool lube when working with aluminum and it worked well here as well.

If you have a milling machine then this jig and tooling makes finishing a 80% receiver a snap.

As stated above, I've yet to do one with the router, but will be shortly. I will take pics of the setup as we go through one at that time.
    I would not hesitate to purchase another jig(and will be doing so for the AR-10) and receivers from these folks. Top notch products and speedy service.

Kildar, Ganado, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  16. Tully Mars

Update:
    Have now completed 3 80% receivers using a drill press for the drilling operations and the Ridgid finish router for the machine work. It works great. To me this is the best way for the average Joe to complete their lower. Finish was very good and was faster than using the drill press for the milling with a better finish. There are a number of reasons a person might want to go with finishing their own receiver, but saving money isn't one of them-unless you plan on several receivers thereby reducing the cost of the jig through multiple receivers.

Kildar, 3M-TA3, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Nice review...Thanks!

I need to get to my project, too....

Tully Mars likes this.
  18. Tully Mars

I should've mentioned this before but hadn't thought of it until now after just finishing off another receiver.

This jig, and others like it are for completing a receiver to AR-15 specs. There are a few differences between an AR-15 receiver and a M-16 receiver. This jig as shipped will not allow a person to mill a blank to M-16 specs and does not have a location for the "third hole".

Kildar, oldawg, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  19. Tully Mars

Just finished up a 9mm upper today.
    20170614_180324. 20170614_180409.
    and a matching mug
    20170614_181741_1497482261896_001.

Dunerunner, 3M-TA3 and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Dunerunner

Too cheap to buy a jig, I borrowed one from a buddy to finish my 80% lower. It was a built by 80% Lower Jigs - 80 Percent Lowers - AR-15 | AR-10 | AR-308.

Without doubt the easiest procedure and has a built in bit depth guide.. Router guides on both sides of the jig, just had to have the shop vac handy to clean out the channel often...

Witch Doctor 01 and Tully Mars like this.
  1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34