Gear Review RECON (2,3,4,5) Sleeping Bags

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have been using Recon sleeping bags for many years. I first bought a 1st generation Halo 2 when I lived in Florida, and that was sometime around 2001. I initially thought it was way too light and small to be effective, because even at night it can get chilly certain times of the year in Florida. It never failed me. These bags can compress down to such a tiny size, there's just no comparison to normal sleeping bags.

I own a Recon 3 sleeping bag now, and it is fantastic. I would like to share these bags with you, especially because I know these are a great sleep system. You will lighten your bag and ensure you have more room for essential kit at the same time. First, I will provide links to where you can locate these bags, and then I will describe each to you in detail.

And auctions for even better deals: HALO Recon 5 Gen 2 II Sleeping Bag -20 C Military Spec Tactical GREEN items in ImagineGear store on eBay!

Find them on Amazon, also: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...g,225&crid=1RDMPGBIQPWRW&tag=survivalmonke-20

elite-recon3_d01.

CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Wash warm separately (machine okay). Hang dry immediately after wash.

The new Generation 2 sleeping bags are now packed with more additional features than ever before including:
    * New central zip with storm flap
    * PDA pocket inside
    * Teflon® coated reduces stains and offers a degree of water resistance on the outer shell
    * New re-shaped hood
    * Water proof 210D oxford bottom
    * Waterproof outer shell

bag_full.

close2.
    close.

Four Types of Recon Sleeping Bags:
    (Tropical /41F -- Recon 3 /23F -- Recon 4 /14F -- Recon 5 /-4F)

RECON 2 TROPICAL
    2_tropical.
    1. Outer top shell made from 210T Ripstop Nylon with a Teflon finish.
    2. Outer bottom shell made from 210D Nylon Oxford with PU2000mm waterproof finish.
    3. Inner shell made from 210T Ripstop Nylon.
    4. 80gm per square meter DuPont® Thermolite™ Micro insulation.
    5. Insulation incorporates an ultra-thin barrier of anti-bacterial pure silver micro fiber which also increases its heat retaining capability.
    6. Insulation is flat filled to prevent cold spots.
    7. Internal baffle foot is re-inforced with 210D Nylon Oxford with PU2000mm waterproof finish to limit damage from boots.
    8. Internal and external hanging tabs.
    9. Bonded seams
    10. Central double puller, heavy duty No 8 spiral zip with storm flap.
    11. Anti-snag zip with Velcro tab closure.
    12. Draw cord and barrel lock in hood.
    13. Shaped hood for extra comfort.
    14. Internal PDA/phone pocket
    15. 210D Nylon Oxford spider compression sack.
    16. Designed for operations in +5 degree Celsius (41F) locations.
    17. Dims unpacked: Length 220cm. W idth: at shoulders 85cm. at feet 55cm.
    18. Dims packed in compression sack: 18cm x 20cm
    19. Weight: 2.5 lbs
    20. ISO 9001:2000 compliant

RECON 3
    On issue with the RAAF, commandos & NATO, in use by U.S. forces in Afghanistan, and other forces worldwide. The Recon III sleeping bag is a military-style, two season sleeping bag which will perform more efficiently than bags with natural fillings when wet. The bag and the compression sack weigh approx 2 lbs 15 oz (1.33kg). The Compression Sack spider both reduces the volume of the stuffed bag for carriage and provides a waterproof outer covering. The Recon III packs up very small so you can stash it away in your backpack or kit.

CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Wash warm separately (machine ok). Hang dry immediately after wash.

1. Outer top shell made from 210T Ripstop Nylon with a Teflon finish.
    2. Outer bottom shell made from 210D Nylon Oxford with PU2000mm waterproof finish.
    4. 100gm per square meter Dupont Thermolite™ Micro insulation.
    5. Insulation incorporates an ultra-thin barrier of anti-bacterial pure silver micro fibre which also increases its heat retaining capability.
    7. Internal baffle foot is re-inforced with 210D Nylon Oxford with PU2000mm waterproof finish to limit damage from boots.
    9. Bonded seams
    14. Internal PDA pocket
    16. Designed for operations in -5 degree Celsius (23F)locations.
    17. Dims unpacked: Length 220cm. Width: at shoulders 85cm. at feet 55cm.
    18. Dims packed in compression sack: 21cm x 20cm
    19. Weight: ~ 3lbs.
    20. NATO Stock No. 66 - 146-06-76
    21. ISO 9001:2000 compliant

RECON 4
    1. Outer top shell made from 210T Ripstop Nylon with a Teflon® finish.
    4. 200gm per square meter DuPont® Thermolite™ Micro insulation.
    5. Insulation incorporates an ultra-thin barrier of anti-bacterial pure silver micro fiber which also increases its heat retaining capability.
    7. Internal baffle foot is reinforced with 210D Nylon Oxford with PU2000mm waterproof finish to limit damage from boots.
    9. Bonded seams
    14. Internal PDA pocket
    16. Designed for operations in -10 degree Celsius (14F)locations.
    17. Dims unpacked: Length 220cm. W idth: at shoulders 85cm. at feet 55cm.
    18. Dims packed in compression sack: 22cm x 24cm
    19. Weight: 3.5 lbs

RECON 5
    1. Outer top shell made from 210T Ripstop Nylon with a Teflon® finish.
    4. 300gm per square meter DuPont® Thermolite™ Micro insulation.
    7. Internal baffle foot is reinforced with 210D Nylon Oxford with PU2000mm waterproof finish to limit damage from boots.
    9. Bonded seams
    14. Internal PDA/phone pocket
    16. Designed for operations in -20 degree Celsius (-4F) locations.
    17. Dims unpacked: Length 228cm. Width: at shoulders 85cm. at feet 55cm.
    18. Dims packed in compression sack: 27cm x 26cm
    19. Weight: 5 lbs.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Dunerunner, natshare, vonslob and 4 others like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Very nice review, on an excellent product.

3. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Good review. Thanks

Brokor likes this.
  4. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Nice review, thank you! Thinking I'll have to put this on my Christmas "wish list" to Santa, this year!

5. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

Nice review indeed. Unfortunately my DW has demagnetized my CCs and limits my greenbacks in multiples of $5. I hang (hammock) and use 1 30degree bag and a 40degree bag as under/over blankies with two insulating layers of 1/4" aluminum foils/plastic grid stuff that I cannot reacll the name of stuff in place of an underquilt. This has stood me in good stead in 15-20 F. I'd love to have one one of those magical light weight footballs for a sleeping bag but Yikes the prices. Us'n poor boys need to either save money or not go..... I guess I'll continue to go cheap streets....
    GB

oldawg and kellory like this.
  6. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Picked up a new "O" synthetic bag a few yrs ago. The old down mummy never did have enough room. This one is an extended mummy. About 3 lbs. Toss it onto a pad and sleep like a dream.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

LOL! Yes, it's not cheap. I saved for the first one I bought and the second was on sale. However, you're down in the Georgia south, I think a tropical recon would serve you well most of the year, here is one for a little over a Benjamin, which isn't a terrible price. I see it as an investment, so I put away $15 every month for the item I want until I have the money saved up. At the rate of $15 out of the wallet on a monthly basis, all it takes is your own discipline to not spend it until you have the amount you need to buy the item you want! It doesn't hurt the bank so much this way.

8. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Right now it is -13 F out with a good stiff wind. Just walking from the street to the house nearly got frost bite on uncovered skin. I have slept in this sort of weather in my military 1949 mountain bag and bought a military arctic bag for the really cold nights. Yeah I would love a nice light, SMALL bag, but since both bags together only cost about 30% of what these do, I think I'll stay with the tried and true.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. duane
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. RouteClearance
  5. phorisc
  6. melbo
  7. DarkLight
  8. mikecrom83
  9. hollisticprepper
  10. Shaunda
  11. hillbill
  12. TheJackBull