Recording Anemometer

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Boonies, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Boonies

Boonies Neophyte Monkey

I want to evaluate our site to see if we can use a wind turbine to supplement our solar. Does anybody know where I can find a DataLogger that will record wind speed and direction to an SD card or any other removable media? I prefer this to wireless or recording to internal memory.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Solar had gotten so cheap you are probably better off buying more solar.

TnAndy, techsar and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Maybe try a Raspberry Pi and simple Python script. I’ve used them in the past to record temperature and humidity. I’d guess it’s just a matter of finding a sensor.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

For the testing i did 20 years ago , before i dove into just spending any real money , I found out that I needed my wind speed meter (purchased from store to show outside weather) and I had to have it 40 feet above trees to show a semi constant stream of wind. I did try to extend it to fifty feet but that's when the pipe broke and smashed the meter.
    the cost of the tower and height would of me having a light and the .Gov on my case.
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

You’re likely looking for more detail but this is what my $150 Ambient Weather system uploads to the internet. It also records solar radiation.

2693A982-9379-49CC-AE15-A4472CC6AE6B. 046497D0-C6FD-47B4-977A-F7553D67EE88. 6574D8C5-13DE-4EDE-A57C-3CF618C789A1. 6574D8C5-13DE-4EDE-A57C-3CF618C789A1.

3CFDAC2A-5128-4E56-B499-D710DE4F689F.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

very similar to the system i used , the base unit had a SD card , but if power was lost the SD lost time or something.
    How high are the trees or the buildings to get clear flow ?
    S

7. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Buddy of mine had a place on the very top of a mountain ridge here with almost no tree obstruction. He borrowed one for a month (February) from a local solar/wind place to see if he had a wind resource. His average was 8mph for the month, one of our windy'est , but had gusts in the 60-70mph at times. He was told you need 12mph average, so he went with solar only. I suspect few places east of the Mississippi have a good wind site.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  8. TnAndy

I'd sure go solar for the bulk of my needs, but IF you have a decent wind site, maybe use a 1-2kw turbine as a supplement.

9. TnAndy

Interesting. I was told here anything under 200' was OK without a light. My internet tower is 120', right at the top of the mountain, and nobody has said anything about it for nearly 20 years now.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Looks like a lightning magnet.

11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Cruisin Sloth, TnAndy and CraftyMofo like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Most weather stations you can get, have all the latest in recording what's going on.
    My solar covers most of my summertime needs, the mill helps some.
    As for windmills, I have one along with my solar, to the end that 1. when it is overcast it is windy, so something is being generated, even if it's not a lot.
    2. not every thing works at 100 percent and i accept that.
    My 600-watt mill never get's worked hard but that is to my advantage.
    If my needs exceed my solar / wind / battery bank, I have generators to compensate for greater needs as they arise. A small 5 hp Honda engine and automotive alternator for charging the battery bank, and a 6500-watt diesel generator for greater needs. Also, an engine-driven welder and engine-driven air compressor. these demand too much energy to be run from a generator for driving electric motors/ windings.

Cruisin Sloth and TnAndy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7