Redneck Crane

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TnAndy, Jun 22, 2018.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Helping a neighbor set floor trusses on his new house. My mini-excavator didn't have the reach to do it (30' truss + I had to sit back about 6' from the foundation wall due to fill), so we took the bucket off, strapped/chained a 16' 6x6 to the stick end of the boom, and came up with a solution. Worked good.

[​IMG]

Job superintendent:

[​IMG]

Zimmy, Witch Doctor 01, Meat and 8 others like this.
  2. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

It works and you were safe what's not to like.

Lancer, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Is that the operator in the second pic? cute! :eek::LOL:

Meat, Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nah, he's the job super. Like most, just got to the jobsite after taking a shower. Ready for coffee break ---

Zimmy, Meat, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Oh yeah baby, Boom extension!!!

I don't see any women out there with their 3' long fingers giving directions?

Meat, SB21 and Ganado like this.
  6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

His wife was behind the camera.

But she was right there working....she would hook me up and slide the chain as needed to balance the truss, then go to the end and hook up a control rope to take the spin out as I'd swing it out over the basement walls. We got real good at it toward the end, could set them almost right on the marks so her husband had very little to move on his end. He would nail his end, jump down the scafold, climb a step ladder to unhook the chain, down that ladder, up the ladder on our side to nail, and by the time he got back up to his side, we would have another truss swinging toward him. He was worn out by the end of the day.

7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Dat a boy !!
    I did the same with a JD410 lifting 15 foot walls with tilt up sections .
    You go Tn A .
    Sloth

8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Best thread ever! I am really into cool problem solving. Good job TnAndy. :D

Ganado likes this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Looks like you have a great supervisor - no doubt this went so well!

Meat likes this.
  10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

We used a similar method once putting up power lines. With a full size excavator. We carved a deep notch in the top of a skinny alder log. The operator picked the 4/0 copper up and over the cross arms to the awaiting hero climbing the pole. (He looked a lot like me) :whistle:

Ganado, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Gah, I keep thinking I'm going to see some gangly birds huntin' frogs in the reeds...

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

We have those here in the trees !!
    3 foot legs and they have no weight !!!I had one stand on our pool that I use to store water (Fire protection) & install feeder fish to stop the bugs . Blue Heron was maybe 8 # max .

Sloth

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7