Reloading aluminum shell casings

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Dec 9, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well I never tried it.
    Back in the day it was "don't bother reloading aluminum". Well times are a changing.
    I went to the indoor range thr other day and I was stuffing my pockets with brass like a bad guy in a treasure room only stopping to pick out steel,
    Digging around on thr Internet I can't find a whole lot. Seems like aluminum is definitely not as durable as brass. For example a straight walled 38spl or 45cult brass might be reloadable 10, 20 maybe as many as 50 times. But straight wall aluminum shell casings last maybe 3 loadings.
    Figured I better figure it out before I have to.
    Anyone else try it?

Dark Wolf and HK_User like this.
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

You might check on the Handloadersbench. Link is on SM's main page. That subject has been mentioned a while back.

HK_User likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Reload the steel cases,Been there,Done that just goofing around....

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Are they like "omg a possible plus pee load! Banned!"?
    Are they a bunch of fud RINOs or casual gun owning dems that think "may issue" gun permits are fair?
    Example: the high road dot org where they do all that and parrot atf fantasy propaganda on NFA subjects.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

well you can always be the first and report back.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

They are actually a ''sister forum'' to the monkey,Gud luck....

ghrit likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh god then they run the risk of being alright.
    I interested in aluminum because they're available and weigh practically nothing.
    Might load them up as a light weight 90gr standard or slightly below standard pee load.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nope, these guys are the real deal, they are handloaders. They do NOT tolerate buttwipes.

wideym, 3M-TA3, techsar and 1 other person like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I guess I'm a hand loader. Every center fire metallic round I ever loaded was on single stage machines.
    If I ever got into loading automation I would take it way too far.

techsar likes this.
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

They are good for one reload.

3M-TA3, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

The aluminum cases can be difficult to load. Some I have seen were berdan style prime. Others had odd size primer pockets. Other than that if you find everything checks out be careful with the load work it up and be aware of excess pressure signs aluminum is not brass!!!

wideym, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I checked when I picked them up, the speer cases I have are boxer primed.
    But I will start converting berdan primed brass, for 8mm mauser. Preplandemic pricing 8x57JS was about 50 cent per brass boxer primer hole shell. And because it's so unpopular it's not gone up much and is still available.

Gator 45/70 and techsar like this.
  13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Brass I can find. Boolets and powder, too. Primers is the tough one. Glad I bought while the buyin was gud.

BTW on nwfa a guy is working on reloading primers. Very talented fellow and I'm following that thread pretty closely.

3cyl, STANGF150, Dont and 4 others like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Not so sure that's accurate, Registered over a half hour ago and they haven't banned me yet.

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Tell them you reload alum cased ammo for like 50 times...that should about do it....[lolol]

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

hehehe. Well, it will take a minute or three for them to wake up.

17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Mebbe I'll tell them how I resize old beer cans down to working cases and glue a washer to the back to make a rim. After that if you neck size only you can get 5 reloads out of it. Oh, and hey, does anybody else use KY for case lube? Pro tip - the cherry flavored one works the best..

18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Now that you mention it...I wonder how hard it would be to resize those aluminum beer bottles to 40mm...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've tried it in .45 ACP. I loaded 50 with standard loads of Unique and split 2 of the 50 cases. Another member at the range uses them in Wild Bunch matches where they move too fast to police their own brass and he's been loading reduced loads in aluminum cases without any issues.

They size just fine, but you want to be mindful that aluminum oxide is abrasive if you aren't using carbide dies.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Everything is out of stock now, but when stuff comes back you might look at Tula Bardan primers and an RCBS Berdan de-capper.
    Can't get much easier once you get the tool adjusted correctly. That can be a little of a learning curve at $6 a pop for the bits. It's also such a pain in the tail that I have two of the de-cappers now with one dedicated to 7.62x39 and one to 7.5x55 Swiss. Once correctly adjusted you can run 1000 between bit changes. Probably more if you're patient and don't try to lever every stuck primer out.

Gator 45/70 and Dark Wolf like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7