Remington seeks financing to file for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator

This story boggles my mind because gun sales were huge for the last 9 years. And I have bought Remington and they are not the cheapest rifles out there.

Beleaguered gun maker Remington points to bankruptcy court

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

This is what happens when a bunch of non gun folks take over and drive a company for shear profit and dont give a damn what quality they turn out! Sad, but they did it to them selves, same as Colt, Winchester, Browning, and all the others that have gone the same route! Maybe they can turn them selves around, maybe not, I will not be supporting any of them until and unless quality and value return to better them acceptable levels! As a YUGE fan of Colt, this has been especially hard, but I'm not about to budge a single inch until they mend their ways!
    Now I'm not going to get rid of any of my Remingtons, but will not be adding any new built ones!

oldman11, 3M-TA3, Dont and 3 others like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++

Didn't Remington just build a HUGE ammo factory recently? I mean, it was ultra-modern, super-duper, mega size...
    Pity... I wonder if someone will purchase the patent or rights to build guns like the 870?

oldman11, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

Remington is the #1 supplier of Military munitions, not just small arms, but big stuff too. If Remington were to have a chance, they would need to divest every thing, and let the individual companies start over on their own. Marlin, Para Ordinance, ATK, Bushmaster, Armalight, ECT. Need to reform and get out from under Big Green! Remington needs to dump all the crap and get back to building just firearms and ammo, and stop with all the other stuff!

Same thing with Colt, the firearms part needs to be separated out from the rest of the holdings, Fairbanks-Morris, Pileaki, Waukashaw, And Colt Diesels need to separate back to their individual plants, even if they keep the Colt name, they need to be seporated out.

Winchester needs to remove it's self from under FN, and Beretta, and even if they keep Browning, they need to be separate. Get the Europeans out and on their own. Both Winchester and Browning need to revamp the brand and bring back the quality rhey are known for.

Savage is still in good shape, the Anschutz merge was/is a benefit for both, and now is the time to bring both companies forward with quality and a larger share of the market.

Ruger is about the only other company with a good handle on how to do things, but they need to spend more time developing products before offering them to the public, would sure save them the head ache of warranties.
    If things are left as it, we will be seeing a much bigger share of the arms industry taken over by the small companies!

6. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid Loving Life Site Supporter+

Sooooo, President Trump needs to become anti-gun, in order to save the gun industry in the US?

Thunder5Ranch, Bandit99 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

Naw, only need Komrad Killory to open her tapped about guns, bang, problem solved!

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Seriously this probably isn't as big a deal as it would seem.
    Remember when GM filed for bankruptcy? The weren't going out of business .. just getting rid of the lawsuits.
    I'm pretty sure that's what's happening here.
    Sure Sandy Hookers, go ahead and sue Remington. The New Remington isn't responsible for the old Remington problems. Granted, as a share holder it's probably going to suck (along with creditors, some workers). But they will unburden themselves of liabilities.

It's just how business is done now.

9. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

sadly [ditto] what VT said :(

plus plus

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Shining the light on a truthier truth!

Gotta love the fiction of a corporation being a person....some corporations have had more resurrections than JC.

Some mergers become unmanageble Frankensteins where the whole becomes much less than the sum of the parts stitched together....too many mouths, no effective brains, and a surfeit of @$$h*les is generally a combination conducive to failure. :rolleyes:

11. Ura-Ki Is RIGHT!!! Saw it myself with I-H, Case and to a lesser extent CAT(where I graduated from 7yrs ago). The bean counters got control and everything went south, literally, to the scab states with cheap labor.. I have seen the closing of eight domestic CAT plants, two that I worked at. QCA lost more than 20K direct manufacturing jobs in the '80's. Accountants beware, you will be first against the wall when the revolution comes! VIVA La revolution!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The NRA lost their number 1 sales team in November 2016.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  13. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey Site Supporter

Remington lost me when they chose to stay with an anti firearms state for the tax breaks. Tax breaks that probably could have received from another state if they had chosen to move their operations to a more firearm friendly state.

oldman11, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  14. apache235

apache235 Monkey

I think quality control had a lot to do with it. Remington was/is building crap and those that know don't want any part of it. I've got a couple of 870's and a 552 .22LR that I won't part with, recent 700's seem to be either very good or utter garbage but I'm not going to take the chance.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Whatever else, my 30 year old 870 will live out my life chez moi. One or the other of the boys will get it. Their ammo sucks and nothing they've produced in the last umpteen years has any appeal to me.

oldman11, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

NY politicians have said that they would like to see the Remington plant close and that they would just replace those jobs with a yogurt plant.
    [ROFL]
    Stupid demwhits.
    What a republican would do is try to keep Remington open and bring in the yogurt plant.

Alf60, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Agreed - if you want a good 700 get an old one or one built from any of several outstanding compatible actions.

oldman11, Ura-Ki and Dont like this.
  18. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey Site Supporter

700's was manufactured with enough extra metal so they could safely be machined to remove the inaccuracies. Now???

They should have closed the new yauk factories and relocated to another state..

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

When I went to Smithing school, the #1 rifle to fix and make money on was the Remmy 700 series. Man, you wouldn' believe the crap Big Green was putting out. We would get one in and the first thing was to pull the barrel and Chuck the stripped receiver in the lathe and re cut the face! I had one so bad you could see the run out with the naked eye and not have to squint very hard! Once that was done, cut the barrel a few threads deeper and re install and re chamber and finish ream correctly! Weld up the back side of the bolt lugs and re cut them to fit the breach. Toss the factory trigger and pot metal parts and install a nice aftermarket trigger. Fine tune the whole rifle and send it out with the range master to test it out before shipping it back to the customer! What was a $700 Mod 700 CDL turned into a $1300 rifle that actually shot as good as the 700s built in the 60s. The 870s all need the slide bars replaced with forged, not stamped, and hand lapped. Replace the krappy plastic trigger assembly with a nice machined billit unit and tune to hunting weight! 1187s needed the gas piston and tube hardend and polished, and the damn "O" ring replaced with a high temp silicon ring, same trigger system, and a Bolt polish. And if you were feeling really good that day, you re cut the chamber .012 over to slow the cycle, make the shot hull stick in the chamber a few 1/1000s of a second to save the gas system and ship it! These were all things that should have been done at the factory, and had in years past. No one ever bought a Remmy for cheap and then left it that way and expected it to run as good as any others. It's pretty bad when a "Cheap" Savage will always out perform a Remmy 700!!!
    Winchester, and Browning are about as bad. As a Smith, you don' see very many Ruger 77s and almost never a Hawkeye, and Ruger are only a few bucks more then a Remmy, really says something dosnt it! If I had made smithing a career, Remington would have been my bread and butter, there are so many Krap 700s and 870s out there, and folks that should have known better, but are having to learn the hard way! SAD!!!!

Dont, apache235 and oldman11 like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you want a good semi auto 12ga shot gun get a Russian S-12.
    No soft o-rings in the gas system. As a bonus the S-12 is detachable magazine fed.
    No need for a bottom feed pricy pretty gun.
    Plus the pricy high end shotgun snobs really hate these things.
    Why would anyone buy a 1100 or 1187?

oldman11 likes this.
  21. I bought my first 870 in 1970. It is sad to hear about the decline. But if you have ever worked in industry you know how management pushes for more and more for less and less. I hate to recommend a foreign designed machine tool, but I am a fan of the Mazak line. Their vertical lathes produced amazingly good piece parts, in quantity. If management allows time for maintenance. I watched a compound machine (Intergrex) turn out gear blanks ready to go to the tooth grinder and hardening fce. CAT Aurora (Fac 12) didn't have any of Mazak's biggest machines before I retired the ones we kept in repair were medium sized and mostly sheet metal. but they preformed. A salesman brought around a small sheet metal box sheared and folded on a Mazak. The seams were smooth and it held water without being welded or soldered. I don't know how up to date Remington's manufacturing base is. Has anyone seen what their (Rem's) equipment looks like. Mazak's machine tools are made in Covington across the river from Cincinnati and are affordably priced.

oldman11 likes this.

Null

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7