RK LED LIGHTS

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Thunder5Ranch, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Was talking to a friend this morning about my lighting woes for the kitchen and he suggested these Tool Shed 4' LED Shop Light, 4500 Lumens (4500SL) and told me he has been using his problem free for 2 years now. So I had a to make a run to town this afternoon and hit the RK lighting section and found these and a 8" stainless commercial version with 4 strips of lights. I bought 2 of the 4" 2 strip and 2 of the 8" four strip and brought them home and installed them in the kitchen. Forgive the mess it is a bit of a construction zone but we are wrapping that up. ANyway I need to trim some chain and so a little customizing on the cords but I am liking these lights. They are Bright and get well past the minimum brightness required for a commercial kitchen. I also like the fact that they are easy the Chain/Jump together without any extra wiring. Caught the 4" on sale for $19.99 and the 8" were $69.95. We shall see if that 25,000 hour on the 4" and 50,000 hour claim on the 8" holds true. So far I would highly recommend them :) DSC00221.JPG DSC00222.JPG DSC00223.JPG DSC00224.JPG DSC00225.JPG DSC00226.JPG

Ganado, 3M-TA3, Alf60 and 7 others like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I have one of the 4 footers in my food storage room. Uses little juice, good stuff indeed.

Thunder5Ranch and ochit like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've been replacing some fluorescent lights in my Legion Post with these LED's , they are brighter , less electricity , and supposedly longer life. Seems to be the best choice for lighting these days.

oldawg, Thunder5Ranch and ochit like this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

We could possibly be getting cheaper made lights, here in Cambodia. But, this is what I have experienced, thus far.

INTERNAL LED LAMPS
    I haven't had any of our 3 - 5 watts LED bulbs, with Edison bases (like the old incandescent bulbs we had as a boy), to burn out since installing them. I have been using them for about the past 3 - 4 years. We probably have 8 or 10 of these in use at our apartment.

Another lamp we have, are a couple of 20" single bulb LED (fluorescent replacements). One of them is illuminated for almost 24 hours per day. It is still going strong, probably more than a year and a half in? They are 9 watts each.

We have 3 - two bulb 40" shop lamps in limited use, here at the farm. They are no where near worth the money we paid for them. I've had 4 bulbs burn out within 6 months of installing them. I would gamble that 50 hours is the absolute maximum we have on them. They are like yours, about 42 watts. I imagine, though, made of much less quality materials.

We have 4 single bulb, 40" shop lamps. 18 watts each, I think? We have only one of the original lamps left, at two years in. So, not a good track record for them.

EXTERNAL LED LAMPS
    All external LED lamps are floods.
    Led-Flood-Light.

These are all rated IP64, or possibly IP65. I'm not sure which right off.

We have used smaller (10 watts) units for the past two years, and larger (30 & 50 watts) wattage units for the past 9 months. The 10 watts and 30 watts lamps are still doing well. Not a single one has encountered problems, or has needed to be replaced to date.

However, I have replaced 3 of the 50 watts LED modules over the past few months. They are definitely not making it anywhere near the 11+ years they should, being powered 12 hours per day. I am considering replacing all of the 50 watts units with 30 watts lamps, adding a few more here and there, to increase overall night time illumination.

One thing I did notice, when replacing the LED modules inside each of the 50 watts lamps, was lack of thermal paste between the rear of the lamp module and the heat sink. That could certainly be the cause of their shorter lifespan.

At this point, I would be happy if they all lasted 5 years.

Thunder5Ranch, ochit and techsar like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm old school, still using "4ft" T5 lights.

Thunder5Ranch and ochit like this.
  6. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Found LED's to eliminate shadows clearer cleaner whiter light and less electricity if you need to replace lights or bulbs quality proper lumens you will like them,and price is not bad either.

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Well up until today I was in the You can pry my incandescent and florescent lights from my cold dead hands group.......... That changed pretty quickly after seeing how much brighter the LEDs made the kitchen......... with less ballast and less power. As a bonus they weigh a lot less than florescent ballast.

I am probably going to phase out all of the other lighting as ballast stop working and while I love my array of halogen flood lights...... they turn midnight into high noon and you can watch the electric meter move faster than when I touch a welding rod to steel. If the LEDs can give close to the same light at a fraction of the power, I am going to be on them like brown on mud.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
    ochit and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I looked at the 8' T5 lights earlier this spring... at the going price I can buy 8 fluorescent tubes for the cost of one LED, and then of course there is the chance that the electronics in the LEDs will fail.

Rancher

9. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Here, many fluorescent tubes still run the old starters. When I first learned of LEDs being of similar make (20" and 40" tubes) here, I began replacing the fluorescent fixtures with them. The noise from those starters would drive me bonkers. LEDs never make a sound, which is right up my alley.

But, look at what your electric savings will be, throughout the life of LEDs over that of CFLs.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I used to put the Lowes 2' LEDs in the menu boards when I worked for Hardee's to replace the odd sized tubes they had. Held up amazingly well. My first one I ever bought, a 4' double strip, has been hanging on the carport since 2012 and has never been off except for a 3 hour power failure. Doing it as a test and so far it passes with flying colors.

ochit and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Use LED's and gradually shifting over to them, no hum, work in cold environment, better choice of light color, use a lot less power than old style lights, heat does not destroy plants in greenhouse when suspended over growing trays, so far have out lasted T-5 by a factor of 2 or 3, still going strong and light output doesn't seem to drop with age. Have never bought the cheapest ones I could, may well be some low cost ones out there that are not well built, but not having the usual failures each year has been worth the added cost. I have had best luck with the ones that use a new dedicated fixture rather than a new tube that fits into an existing T-5 fixture. They seem to have a more even distribution of the light and less of a pin point series of sources.

ochit likes this.
  12. ochit

ochit Monkey+

During an EMP even a electrical storm I imagine that a fluorescent would look like a light saber and wouldn't even have to be in a fixture. :whistle:

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have found that unless you get the newest LED tech from this year usually the T5 are more efficient.
    If you buy T5 lights powered with commercial and industrial rated high power factor ballasts they don't fail anywhere close to the rate LEDs do.
    I always thought it was odd that LEDs get 30,000 to 50,000 hour rating, but up to 10% fail in the first few months.

14. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

We've been lied to,... again just as we were with the CFL's they both use electronics to work, they both have capacitors, which even the best ones will fail. And now we continue to outlaw incandescent bulbs, I can't even find 60 watt bug lights at Wally World (LEDs won't work because they use a photo sensor).

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Lowes has rough service incandescent bulbs.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7