Rocket Stove

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Mar 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My son made a rocket stove in metal shop. The teacher has the kids draw up their own design and plans, figure the materials and then they start constructing.

IMG_3673.JPG

IMG_3676.JPG IMG_3678.JPG

The feet are detachable and so the grate. On the back of the stove is a handle which I didn't get a picture of. You place twigs, leaves and branches in the upper part of the arm and the bottom is for air. It works great. It is heavy because it is solid metal and does get hot but this is a great stove that can be used camping.

I am a proud Mom. He did great and the teacher really liked that my son chose to make something unique.

2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

That's awesome

SB21, UncleMorgan, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Just a little concerned with angled feed maybe allowing a lot of heat singe skin and hair of those feeding it (vice horizontal feed) but otherwise design is pretty awesome. have you or he boiled water on it?

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The feed was an issue and he got to use his torch, which made him happy. We boiled water and the pan did not get too hot. I think because the vertical is so high, burning will not be such an issue.

Tully Mars, SB21, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  5. sdr

sdr Monkey++

That is very nice! I want one.

Motomom34, UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Awesome Possum!

Makes cooking a good deal with little use of wood and no smoke, good stuff that.

You are right to be proud.​

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Interesting twist! Looks really tough, and I like the heavy steel, Keeps warpage down, and retains the heat good.
    Maybe a second prototype with out the angle burner at the bottom, but keep the devider, should generate more air speed and flow. Just a thought!
    Nice work, and the welds look pretty good, @Tully Mars will be impressed, I am!!!

8. ochit

ochit Monkey+

good work looks great

Motomom34 and UncleMorgan like this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Pretty cool (actually it's probably kinda hot once it gets going). Was never a welder / metal fabricator by trade myself, but really enjoy working with metal like that.

Looks like it could stand up to a 500 lb bomb.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  10. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Very nice you should be proud and let him know the Monkey's are proud of his work

Ura-Ki, Motomom34, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

What does he have to work with?

Having the ability to cut metal or stick 2 or more piece of metal together to make something or being put something back together has many applications for shtf if it's personal or major theater level.

12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Looks like it would be self feeding which is a drawback on mine. You have to keep pushing each stick until it is consumed. They do work well. Mine is a metal and concrete design. His appears much more durable.

UncleMorgan, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

You should be! It's a fine effort and turned out nice. Good for car camping, but my old @ss would hate to try and pack it anywhere;) It is refreshing to see a young man that is interested in working with his hands instead of having to be glued to a phone or game console. I started out exactly like he is now in high school shop classes and the trade has been very good to me. It could be for him as well should he decide to go that route.
    c4ee19862affa58ef664aa02634da76b.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Mountainman, Ura-Ki, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

What would be great is if he had a place to work at home and continue these pursuits .
    Good job .

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thank you all for the comments. With firing mine up yesterday, he was able to figure some adjustments that are needed. He will be making one for his brother that will be slightly different.

This one is Mom proof. No way can I break this.

Zimmy, Ganado, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  16. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

He could probably earn some money by making and selling those. I'd buy one!

17. ochit

ochit Monkey+

LOL - choose your words wisely we live in interesting times.

18. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Nice job. Looks sturdy. As in nine-generation service life.

The MkII version might include a horizontal feed tube that was separate and could be nested in the chimney tube.

A small diameter cross-bolt with a Mickey nut or binder screw could hold the pieces together, both in assembly and in nested mode, and the (drilled) slats and feet could also be nested and held in the feed tube on the same bolt.

That would make a compact rectangular package for easy packing, and it could be bagged up easily to prevent soot from migrating all over a backpack or BOB.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah thought about that.

Figured it'd be safe to say it here. People here have healthy doses of common sense. Other places, not so much.

20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That right there is a great idea, a sliding feeder that can be adjusted for burn intensity and output! Take two pices of square stock, a short piece welded to the chiming section with the longer one able to slide in and out. That could really make this thing rock, a slow burn for general heating, and a faster burn for heavier cooking needs, and like you point out, could also allow it to break down to a smaller package for transport or storage! I like it!

Tully Mars and UncleMorgan like this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. Hillbilly549
    Anyone here have any experience with these?
    Thread by: Hillbilly549, Mar 17, 2019, 10 replies, in forum: Off Grid Living
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Kamchuka
  6. Motomom34
  7. Gopherman
  8. Gopherman
  9. chelloveck
  10. Ganado
  11. Yard Dart
  12. CATO
  13. Brokor
  14. Gopherman