Rogers proposes CMP take control of old Army pistols

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, May 7, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Makes me drool thinking about getting another US GI 1911 but it will have a difficult time getting past barry.
    Rogers proposes CMP take control of old Army pistols | Local News - WVTM
    ANNISTON, Ala. —An east Alabama congressman has a plan to save taxpayers money when it comes to storing vintage firearms for the Army.
    The plan involves moving the weapons to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, which includes its facility in Anniston.

Congressman Rogers says it's a win-win because the pistols are placed in very capable hands at the Civilian Marksmanship Program and it also saves taxpayers roughly $200,000 per year.

The M1911A1 pistol was once the standard sidearm for U.S. armed forces. Rogers says a little over 8,000 of the 100,000 pistols were sold to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small price. The rest are in storage.

The CMP will inspect, grade, and prepare the pistols to be sold. It will also reimburse the Army for any costs associated with moving the firearms.

Congressman Rogers announced the plan after the passage of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2016. It's part of the House Armed Services Committee.

"This is an issue that a lot of people didn't know about," Rogers points out. "I'm sure a lot of collectors around the country are going to be happy that these are going to be available to them."

The chief operating officer of the Civilian Marksmanship Program in Anniston tells WVTM 13 in order to buy a pistol, you must meet four requirements. You must be a U.S. citizen, have proof of membership to a CMP club, have marksmanship safety training, and successfully pass a background check.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

You must be a U.S. citizen, have proof of membership to a CMP club, have marksmanship safety training, and successfully pass a background check.

Got 'Em, send it.

stg58, GhettoPass and Mike like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Got 'em also, and on record with a buy. Send it.

Mike and HK_User like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Another deal available to some but not all. That is one pistol I would love to own, but neither have the marksmanship training nor the membership, so once again excluded. Why should anyone be able to prohibit me from buying a legal weapon?:(

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  5. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey

Ok get me signed up for this CMP. My older brother got my Grandad's military 45, Even though it was promised to me. I'd like a shot at getting one of those.

6. stg58

The CMP has tried before on 1911's and tried to get M14's released with welded selectors but the ATF would rather feed captain crunch with M14's.

The ATF stood by their BS once a machine gun always a machine gun "rule" with the M14's.
    One of the local DCM now CMP instructor has a DCM welded M14 and we all have a huge smile when he uses it at a match.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  7. stg58

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.

Eligibility Requirements | Civilian Marksmanship Program
    Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

• Current or past military service.
    • Current or past law enforcement service
    • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
    • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
    • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.
    No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Marck, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  8. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

The only club up here that has the right membership is 60 miles away and also has a waiting list over a year long plus you have to have references from 2 members in good standing to get on the list. Plus it costs three times as much a year as the club I'm in. Oh well.

Marck and HK_User like this.
  9. kellory

"Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity."
    I wonder if I could get my Brother-in-law to sign off on it? He is a cop.

stg58 likes this.
  10. kellory

11. HK_User

Join the Home - TSRATSRA They can help.

ditch witch likes this.
  12. HK_User

kellory likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

I am in as an FFL, and a Washington State CCW License.... Now if I can find a CMP club in town.....

14. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Appleseed shoots qualify for the training requirements.
    Also, you do not need a CMP club, any duly organized gun related club will do, just send a copy of your current membership card.

Brokor and ditch witch like this.
  15. HK_User

Home - TSRATSRA

16. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Start your own club for youth. Should fit right in with CMP guidelines---get info from them. Nice brace of 45s in a shadow box would nicely adorn any room(of course it would need a quick entry option). Guns are for go--not show.

HK_User and kellory like this.
  17. kellory

I know how to build those boxes, complete with magnetic locks. It's the filling, that is missing from that pie.:(

18. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey++

I got all my club affiliation documentation together years ago when I made a trip to Camp Perry. Before I even got any of it out of the envelope I was asked if I was in the military. Maybe the haircut gave that away. I said, "USMC Retired." CMP said "That's all we need, you're good to go."

Nearest thing I've ever experienced to a secret handshake.

HD

19. stg58

Sent in an order for some Garand parts for the parts and to make sure my information is fresh and verified in case they do get the 1911's.

20. stg58

@BTPost For $25 a GCA membership will allow purchases from the CMP.

The main benefit of GCA membership is receiving the GCA Journal . Four issues per year are published: Spring (March), Summer (June), Fall (September) and Winter (December). Each full-color issue contains articles from some of the most knowledgeable people alive today about John Garand’s superb M1 rifle, complete with photographs. If you want to learn all you can about the M1, you will enjoy the GCA Journal. Also, the GCA is affiliated with the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). Membership in GCA fulfills one of CMP’s requirements to make a purchase.

Garand Collectors Association

Marck and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7