Rotating stuff from preps to use practice recipe

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by plumberroy, Sep 27, 2021.

1. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

I did my quarterly check of stuff stored . I pulled a bag of lentils and barley out to use . I pulled a couple of cans of tomato paste. I also sorted out a bucket of potatoes I dug earlier . Busy work because my feet and legs are keeping me from getting out much. I had sniped a couple of squirrels raiding the garden in the fridge. Since they were fox squirrel I usually make them in a slow cooker. But I decided to cook outside I used a 2qt pot and a single burner propane stove

Squirrel stew made from stuff rotated out of preps to use . Tomato paste and water cook squirrels until meat comes off the bones easy . Return meat to the pot add more water 1/3rd cup each of barley and lentils and a handful of marble size potatoes I saved when I dug my taters (1 medium diced potato) simmer until barley is tender. You can add other stuff from there this got a handful of dried mushrooms and a handful of dried squash this dense and filling
    Yes there are 2 squirrels in the pot . For some people it comes out a little acidic from the tomato paste , a little butter,or sour cream fixes that . We got two meals out it and a pan of womp biscuits
    IMG_20210926_162643. IMG_20210925_120033. IMG_20210925_120048.

GOG, Thunder5Ranch, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Eat what you store and store what you eat, Rotate, eating the oldest first.

plumberroy and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  3. Industry calls it "fifo" first in first out.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Unless you accidentally open the can of prunes. Then it's anybody's guess which meal wins the race to freedom.

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

We used to make two iron wash kettles full of squirrel stew every Fall with the last of the garden harvest after all the canning and freezing was done. I had three brothers, two uncles, my father, and a hand full of cousins that would load us with fresh squirrels. Everybody would show up on stew day, it was an all-day event with wash kettles on an open fire. Everybody would eat and we'd pour the rest into quart freezer containers and have stew all winter as a quick meal on a cold day.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7