Royal Canadian Mint-stamped gold wafer appears to be fake

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by DKR, Oct 30, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

(Source Royal Canadian Mint-stamped gold wafer appears to be fake)

Royal Canadian Mint-stamped gold wafer appears to be fake

Mint investigating after piece purchased by Ottawa jeweller Oct. 18 at Royal Bank of Canada branch

The Royal Canadian Mint is investigating how a sealed, "pure gold" wafer with proper mint stampings may in fact be a fake.

The one-ounce gold piece, which was supposed to be 99.99 per cent pure, was purchased by an Ottawa jeweller on Oct. 18 at a Royal Bank of Canada branch. Yet tests of the bar show it may contain no gold at all.

When neither the mint nor RBC would take the bar back, jeweller Samuel Tang contacted CBC news.
    Read the story linked above.

William Rentz, a professor at the University of Ottawa's Telfer School of Management and an expert on investments and equity, says it is troubling.
    "A currency counterfeiter doesn't make just one fake $50 bill," he said. "They make a whole lot of them. So I would suspect this might just be the tip of the iceberg."

RCMP said they are aware of the incident, but no formal complaint has yet been made.

As so it begins.... Note this was purchased from the Royal Bank, no shady deal in a parking lot, eh?

sec_monkey, Bandit99, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

It was only a matter of time, and I expected it sooner than this. Sounds like an inside job, perhaps someone associated with or working for the mint?

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

:shock: :(

yep not the 1st time n not the last :cry: :mad:

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I find it...odd that the RCMP has not been called into investigate. But, that's just me.

Wait - Royal Canadian Mint says phoney gold bar was counterfeit attempt does say the matter has been turned over to the police.

I did note the Mint made the point - 8 times - that the fake bar wasn't a Mint product. So that leaves the Royal Bank holding the peanut butter covered end of the stick.

I have my popcorn and am hoping for more reports.

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

The buyer should of called the cops first & ask for a lawyer to SUE the Canadian mint !! & called the press .

Canada is as bad as all are !!!
    Our IDIOT is a joke & WE as canuks are sorry to have a dram /ski instructor as / is /whatever joke !!
    Useless Kid of a image
    Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7