Ruger 57 in FN 5.7×28 mm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Lancer, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Anyone have any range time with one of these?
    I've always liked Ruger products, and my local mom&pop had one I could play with a bit. Seems like a very nice pistol, reviews I can find are good, but ammo isn't the stuff you'll be scavenging much of. It's full size, so concealment may be an issue in the summer, although open carry is completely acceptable around here. I just prefer not.
    At this time the weapon is pre-order only, but a rifle chambering with 20 round mags sorta makes me drool...

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The pmr30 holds 30.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yep the pmr 30 holds 30

uv cuz the P90 holds 50 [ aint a pistol tho but it is 5.7x28 ]

Glocks do have 31 round plus 33 round mags in 9x19 and so on

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'm not really up to speed on that round. I have read that in the United States, 5.7×28mm firearms are currently used by numerous law enforcement agencies, including the Secret Service. Sounds interesting, but I personally don't need another cartridge platform to support with my limited $$$.

Pretty to look at and 20+1 capacity... Review here [FIRST REVIEW] The New Ruger-57 5.7x28mm Pistol - USA Carry

[​IMG]

Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Do not own one.
    But compared to the FN in standard stock pictures I do observe a negative or 3.
    Double Safety levers seem large and might be uncomfortable in CC.
    Milled section in top of slide is a dirt catcher.
    The FN has a loaded round indicator that is a very small pin on the upper left side of the slide and appears better thought out than the Ruger.

When you consider cost and a Free light for the FN you may well find cost about equal.
    I may change my mind when and if I can get my hands on one.

YMMV

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

The hassle factor and expense of stocking another, somewhat $ caliber bothers me too. (I'd love to get rid of all my .380 , and 45 long colt, but - wife's guns ...) But at less than half the cost of a "real" FN, I may be able to live with it.The manual safety didn't seem to protrude enough to present a snagging problem when I was handling it, although holster design and cover garment(s) may change that opinion. The chamber indicator doesn't particularly bother me, and the fully adjustable rear site I really like. The weight for the size is very light, although reviews don't present that a negative regarding flipup or felt recoil.
    I called the store and told them to get me one along with the factory IWB holster in lieu of the usual OWB. $590 w/o taxes.
    we'll see....

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I like to CC with an inside the WB rig and am likely to have a skin rash of safety to bare skin.
    Waiting to hear your report!

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I might get one if some one sells a 10x1mm threaded barrel.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

Just watched Colion Noir do one of his "First Mag Review" videos on this pistol.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  10. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

5.7 + vest = warm butter

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have had my FN 5.7x28 pistol since 2007 and I was never very impressed by it when it comes to shooting through stuff.

12. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

And then you have the plethora of ammunition - or not. I like the PMR 30 as it shoots a much more common caliber though the magazines for the Kel-Tec could use a little work as mine seem to be a bit finicky. Couple that pistol with the CMR-30 and you have an interesting combo shooting the same caliber and same magazines.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The short bbl PMR30 spits out 40gr bullets about as fast as a 22lr rifle.
    But when you pull that PMR30 trigger it doesn't say "22", it barks more like a 380.
    So does a 5.7x28 pistol. But that fiveseven spits out 40gr bullets more like a 22WMR rifle, since it runs just double the PSI of a 22WMR.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7