Ruger acquires Marlin Firearms – It's official now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Oct 4, 2020.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/sho...fles.jpg?cid=1eae.3yyo&resize=43104e:880x567c
    As part of Remington's bankruptcy assets liquidation, Ruger has bought the brand for $30 million. But Marlin's fans don't have to worry too much, apparently: “The Marlin brand and its great products will live on,” says Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy.

upload_2020-10-4_20-49-48. A contribution from Piergiorgio Molinari10/01/2020

Marlin is now a brand of Ruger. Here, two Marlin Model 1895 ABL rifles.

Good news and bad news from the world of firearms. The bad news is that the dismembering of the Remington Arms goes on as a consequence of the company's bankruptcy. The historical US guns manufacturer is in fact selling its assets, including several well-known brands. Among the latter ones, Marlin Firearms, a name well-known to lever-action enthusiasts. The good news is that Ruger officially announced yesterday in a press release that “its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama”.

How is that good news? Because Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy also assured Marlin fans that Ruger will maintain the brand's identity and its current products. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings," says Killoy.

The purchase will cost Ruger the (relatively) modest sum of $30 million. There were fears that the acquisition would mean the de facto demise of Marlin brand and its renowned lever-action rifles. But this is not the case, it seems: "The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," adds Ruger President and CEO. "The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

Ruger's press release also stresses that “the transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities”.

Now it only remains to be seen what will be the fate of the remnants of Remington itself.

upload_2020-10-4_20-49-48.

nkawtg and sec_monkey like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Marlin will be FAR better served by Ruger than Remington. This is a good move for them.

Tully Mars, nkawtg, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

One would hope that quality goes up.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

When Remington swallowed H&R/New England Firearms , no more extra barrels. By 2015, it became no anything. (H&R 1871 - Dealer Locator) tho the site is still 'live'
    (H&R Firearms - Wikipedia)

The Hanirifle was a great entry level firearm. Safe. Low cost. Simple to use and fairly robust. I wonder if the 'new' Marlin/Ruger will bring them back?

I do see prices for the H&R Handirifles and shotguns have gotten to stupid expensive levels...

It will be interesting to see if the brand is resurrected.in full.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

From what I am seeing, this ONLY deals with Marlin, and no other brand, so the H&R concern will not be effected by this sale at all!

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This could be a very good thing for Marlin, especially in the Q.C. across the line! When I bought my Remmy era XLR, there were some pretty bad Q.C issues, and the warranty sucked so bad, I had no choice but to have my Smith go through it and fix everything, which set me back almost $200 on top of the high price they were getting for the rifles! This was unacceptable and I fought with them over those issues for several years to no avail!
    I have also had issues with Ruger's Customer service, but I have heard they are much better now! I would hope they keep this in mind going forward, rushing things to market, and then NOT supporting them when they fail, will lead them down the road to ruin Remmy has found it's self on! Many of our beloved firearms manufactures have found this out the hard way, and they have been dying off as a result!! Colt, Winchester, Browning, and now Remington, all floundering or gasping for their last! Colt has some how managed to hold on, but their Q.C. is so bad, I would not purchase anything from them at all, knowing full well that on top of the premium price, I would then have to employ the services of a good smith to go through it to make it what it should have been in the first place, Functional!

Tully Mars and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Yet, the folks at Rock Island Armory seem to be doing well.

Non-Union labor?

Tully Mars likes this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Amazing that gun manufacturers in this environment where they are flying off the shelves are having trouble staying afloat. Very sad that QC among all these once great brands is so lacking as well. I still can't believe that Remington killed DPMS just before the AR market overheated. Says much for their business acumen, but that's what happens when you replace passion with profits. Seen it in so many other businesses you would think people would notice that you need a balance between the two,

Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

How much of the collapse was due to the almost unlimited amount of money being spent on lawyers because of Sandy Hook? Read a couple of articles a while back that said basically no on wanted to fund anything due to threats of lawsuits, but going thru bankruptcy would in theory protect the new owners as they would have to get the money from the court, not the new owners. If the left gets in and allows lawsuits, the firearms industry will be dead.

Oddcaliber, AD1, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  10. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

On the same token why isn't Ford,Chrysler and GM being sued because there cars were involved in a drunk driving accident? Simple answer is that the left want to abolish all guns.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In fact, auto OEMs get sued regularly by the families of Auto Accident Victims.. My brother, (the Engineer) has made a nice living doing Accident Reconstruction, and testifying as a Expert Witness in such Civil Suits... He has only ever worked for Auto OEM Defense Attorneys... One of the biggest cases he worked on was the Rollover Case against Suzuki for the Samurai.. He proved that the issue was NOT a Design Defect in the vehicle, but a case of significant OPERATOR ERRORS IN Maintenance, Judgement and driving capabilities... However the legal costs were so hi, Suzuki quit importing that Model to the USA, even though it is sold to the rest of the world...

duane, Oddcaliber and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7