Ruger Mk II Cleaning

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Spartan300, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Spartan300

Spartan300 Monkey+

I have had my Ruger for quite a long time, a great little .22 target pistol. Lately after a good while in storage I have been loading the mags and shooting her quite a bit. I have never tore it down for a good cleaning and figure it is due. Difficulty level? Your opinion or tips? Thanks.

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If you need a manual for your Mark II they are available at Ruger's website. I downloaded a manual for my Mark I there.
    The most difficult part of re-assembly is getting the getting the hammer strut lined up with the main spring plunger. The manual has an excellent illustration.

3. hammerdrop99

hammerdrop99 Monkey+++

I did it once. ONCE! Took me an hour and a few dozen cuss words to get it back together. Sicne then, I just lock it open and clean carefully from the bore, oil and wipe down. It always goes bang. [gun]

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Visit youtube...several vid's on this...

5. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The only gun I ever had a ND with, and a pain to clean. I was using my bull-barreled MK II for Bullseye and cleaning it twice a week when I came home one day and the gun wouldn't break down. The only reason it won't is if it's cocked so I pointed it to the side and pulled the trigger. BAM! Luckily it didn't hurt anything and no one heard it. I guess I loaded 5 rounds at the range (we only ever loaded 5 rounds at that range) and only shot 4, leaving it "ready to fire". Very stupid! But that was 20 years ago. Good luck on the cleaning!

6. Spartan300

Spartan300 Monkey+

I have been told this model is a little tricky to clean. I have a buddy that frequents a local gun store and the owner told him he would take it apart and give it a good cleaning for $30. I might just let him...lol. Appreciate the insight.

7. Valkman

I had a very hard time prying the lever up so I could dismantle everything and used a paperclip bent into a loop to help grab it. Other than that I remember putting it together can be a pain also but if you could watch someone do it that should help you go on and do it yourself.

ETA: Here's the manual from Ruger:

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/markII.pdf

I found it so I could "relive" the fun of cleaning these again. I also remeber getting "sore thumb" from loading those stupid magazines!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
    Spartan300 likes this.
  8. RKBA2USA

RKBA2USA Monkey+

I ran across this a while ago and bookmarked for if/when I get another Mark II:
    www.1bad69.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
    Cephus likes this.
  9. Valkman

Nice! I like the video where he disassembles and then assembles the pistol in 30 seconds.

10. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I got my first Ruger auto (MKI) in the PX in 1974 for the price of 49.95!!! I can't tell you how many thousands of rounds I shot out of this gun. I have never found this gun hard to break down. Just remember the hammer shouldn't be in the cocked position for take down or assembly.

My son talked me out of the MKI and now I have a MK II. Still no problems.

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I bought mine in 1971 from Tamiami and I was surprised to discover the place was still in business.

The only problem I've ever had was after many years of use the rear sight came loose. It has been a very accurate and reliable firearm.

12. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Have a MKIII and it's no better.
    Like a combination lock - you need the combo, or you'll drive yourself nuts.

I know there are a bunch of Youtube vids on the MKIII - probably MKII if you look.

good luck.

13. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Monkey+

Yes I just bought one used and it was dirty. I imagine from the difficulty of dis/reassembly. Man did I have a fun time last night. Read the manual, watched two different videos. It is a pain. Haven't shot mine yet. Will this weekend. It will be a suppressor host.

14. Dubs Chops

Dubs Chops Monkey+

I was wondering if the 22/45 is the same? anyone know?

15. boltedsafe

boltedsafe Monkey+

Identical Take Down. Comes apart easy, I have found it not very hard to take down and clean. If you have the target version make sure to adjust the trigger over travel. Makes a heck of a difference. The hammer strut MUST go into its proper place.

16. craftypoppa

craftypoppa George

I have the Mark III and takeing it apart was easy 15 minutes and apart. After trying for 4 hours of sweat, lots of bad words a friend told me of someone who could put it back together. I boxed it up and said take it pleaseeeeeeee. I watched the videos, read the manual and never could figure it out. Now I spray and wipe, bore clean etc. If it gets bad enough I will carry it to someone to clean.

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Once you know the "Trick" Ruger Mk IIs and IIIs are easy to reassemble, and it only takes a few minutes. It has been DECADES since I had to do it, but I remember that it took me .5 hours to do it the first time, and 5 minutes after that. ...... YMMV.....

18. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Same thing happened to my co-worker. He asked me about my gun smith because he could not get his Ruger 22/45 back together. I told him I used to have one and I could do it for him. He gave it to me. I took it home, put it back together, and test fired it. Worked great... and that was 7 months ago. He went out on permanent disability and I cannot get a hold of him. I guess I own a new target pistol for the time being.

But you are right. Unless you know all of the positions you must hold it in, it is really hard to put them back together.

19. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I have found it easier to manipulate the hammer strut into it's correct position is to invert the pistol...I don't know why it works, but it does for me...

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is a MAJOR part of the "Trick" in Ruger MKIIs and IIIs....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7