Running after marital arts

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Hanzo, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Ok, first of all, usually no one is chasing me after sex. So I usually do not run afterwards.

Sundays are run days. And lately, the dog has been overheating because it has been hot and she has black fur. So my plan was to get up early and run before sunup. My internal clock woke me just before 5am. Wouldn't you know it, wifee had set her alarm for 5am. So since she was awake...

Anyway, got out the door about quarter to 7. Sun was up, but it wasn't oppressive yet.

Well, who needs the runner's high? I ran happy. But I ran tired. Especially since I did the long uphill run. Bleh. And I ran with a bottle of water in one hand and the leash in the other. (A first for me) Where I was running did not have the usual plethora of parks for me to water the dog. Maybe tired also because I did not take time to make and have coffee and a snack before going. Usually do that before a long run.

Mission accomplished though. Run finished although we didn't start before sunup. Dog did not overheat. We got back at 8:15 before it got too blazingly hot.

I knew it would be like that. I am usually happy and tired when hiking or doing any other physical activity after doing marital arts.

Who feels more energy after? And if so, what is your secret?

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I usually drink a beer or three before I run. I've found that this approach doesn't allow me to even get out the door, much less dress for the event and I feel just as tired afterword. :D

On a more serious note... When I ran cross country in high school, we made sure we were well hydrated and a supplement drink was always available (Gatorade)...

Having a good carb base so that your body has plenty of glycogen available is a good idea and should be done the day before your run. At least, that is what our coach used to tell us before a meet.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Had way too much carbs yesterday. Unhealthy kind. The big bowl of chips and popcorn.

I usually drink lots more water and coffee prior to heading out. And for longer than an hour outings, I eat something small. Like a banana with peanut butter and honey. But I was racing the sun today. That doesn't help.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

... I asked her to get up and make me some waffles. :D

Gator 45/70, oldawg, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You spying on me? Again?

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I'm sorry. I can't help myself.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I understand.

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7