Savage 10 FCP Looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Dunerunner, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I've been looking to rid my Savage .308 Model 10FCP of it's Accustock and drop the rifle into a new chassis system. I've looked around and the prices seem to range from near $400 to well over $1500. We;re talking polymer and machined billet CNC machined aluminum systems and everything seems to be so new that there are few reviews on any of them.

Has anyone here done this with any bolt gun, and if so; what do you think and what system did you purchase? yea, I've looked at savageshooters and although some members there have done this, there is little in the way of a review about the the change out other than "I like the result".

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Why a "Chassis" in the first place?
    I run Master Class stocks F-Class stocks on bench guns and long range rifles, but for real work, usually the factory "Tactical" design works well enough, depending on the rifle!
    For the 10 FCP, a Boyds is pretty good, and the price is reasonable!

Mountainman and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Any issues with stability, and was looking for something I could just drop the rifle into and torque it down without having to bed in or do any fitting of the the stock.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist 2 on my old Model 10 has an aluminum bedding system molded into it. It feels exactly like Blackwater's McMillan stocked rifles to me. Very ergonomic for a guy with long arms and the stock was the perfect height for my scope with no adjustment necessary. (luck of the draw there) The stock added a couple pounds to the overall weight, but this isn't a squirrel rifle. I've done limited testing since I swapped the stock, but what I saw on paper was that it was still just as boring as ever. Sight in on target, press trigger, make hole. Most five shot groups at 100 yards fit under a nickel. It's not tacticool, but it's a good looking stock that I'm comfortable behind.

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 2 Vertical Grip Remington 700™ BDL, Savage® 10/12, Weatherby® Vanguard®/Howa® 1500

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

[​IMG]

6. Dunerunner

That is very nice... Reminds me of my first recurve bow.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Dunerunner

I'm seriously looking at these... ESS Savage Short Action BASE Black by MDT

[​IMG]
    It's modular so I can build around the basic base, only downside for me is that I have to use AI pattern magazines which does get me around the 5 round stock magazine issue. Will be pricey by the end of the build, over $1500. There are some that accept AR type pistol grips and butt stocks and am looking into those as well. The search continues...

Like the chassis system from MDT in this review... Review: Modular Driven Technologies (MDT) LSS Chassis for Savage Model 10
    The authors build...

[​IMG]

LSS Gen2 Chassis System

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If this uses "Accuracy international" pattern mags, with Short actions, you should be able to use P-Mags! Double check me on this, but it's pretty standard for short actions these days!

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Yup... Magpul AI pattern magazines. (y)

Chassis Systems are sold out, but still looking for the MDT LSS. I can buy the stock, grip and other accoutrements while I wait for them to become available again. Or I'll just buy another AR... Sheesh!

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If I was looking at a chassis I'd look for one that puts the barrel/recoil force in line with the stock. This lessens felt recoil and muzzle rise

MDT TAC 21 for example. It also uses AR pattern grgips and stocks.
    upload_2019-1-17_7-37-19.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I like that one! Be a good host for a new 10-T-SR!

Really wish the magnum stock options were cheaper, hell, their only an inch longer!
    Then theirs the mags, its SAKO or A.I.
    Like I need another long range set up! Still............

Dunerunner, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have a Mossberg MVP LC in .308 and the chassis is pretty amazing. Chassis purchased separately, they're not obscenely priced, but also not a budget item.
    mossberg-mvp1.
    They can fit Ruger, Savage, Tikka, Remington, Mossberg, and probably more. LSS Gen2 Chassis System
    (about $400)

I think Dunerunner already posted a link, though. ;)

VisuTrac, 3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Nice work on that Mossy... I like that is just a drop in a torque down build. How did the new chassis affect the accuracy of your rifle? I've read that there could be as much as a 60% improvement.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That a threaded muzzle break?

Dunerunner, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Too bad this one (long action version) doesn't fit a Savage 110 in 338 Lapua :(

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That's where the Masterclass came in, though I had to carve the forend down and do some reshaping, it came out really well, and is actually slightly lighter then my A.I. .338 LM, and only slightly heavier then the TRG! Likely going to sell the A.I. and keep the Savage!

Dunerunner, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

1. You mean you can SELL guns?
    2. That says a LOT about the Savage!

18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I surely Can!
    The A.I. has the older slow twist barrel, while the Savage has the new fast twist, makes it really nice! Fire lapped it in real slick and she can ring steel out past the A.I.! Only one I will never sell is the TRG, that gets burried with me with my fav 1911!
    Wanna buy an A.I?

19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Dunno, it came with the chassis, got it from Bud's a while back with the Vortex scope. Might put an SWFA on it though.
    Yup, threaded barrel. But you don't need it because it has a SilencerCo Saker Trifecta muzzlebrake (removable). This means the SilencerCo is quick attach/detach.

20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thought that's who made it.

Dunerunner, Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7