Sawmill recommendations

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Bandit99, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Given the current state of affairs in this country and three more years to go under the most corrupt, incompetent, fool, that I wouldn't follow to the latrine - well - I honestly believe it is highly questionable if the USA will survive. Frankly, I think the economy will collapse. Gold is ~$1950, too rich for my blood (yes, I know if it could go to $5000 in a collapse) and land in my area is 2.5X to 3X what it was 5 years ago. I've got just about everything else covered meaning beans, band-aids and bullets so, what to do...

I have been given serious thought to a sawmill as I have a lot of logs and so much firewood I cannot store anymore. Plus, I have many more trees to cut this Spring/Summer.

So, I am looking for recommendations concerning sawmills: Make, models, nice to have, experiences, what you would do differently and info you can pass a newbie.

I have a new Kubota tracker and forks to move the logs and a flexible budget say around $10,000.

I do NOT wish to jump in with both feet and spend $35K but want a good functioning unit that is effective in time and cost. I tried those Alaska mills and they take too much time to make a good product and its very easy to make a mistake, making the product inaccurate.

Finally, no I will not be doing this professionally. The wood would be for myself and/or neighbors and friends.

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have no experience with 1man sawmills so to speak, But I do wish you the best of luck? Hell if I was close by I'd be in to help out and see what is what.
    Good luck in you're adventure!

Bandit99, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My only experience is with the portable kind that use a chain saw! It helps I have a mondo 2 man 660 CC Homelite from the 70's! Mine can handle planks up to 3 feet across and any depth of cut I want, usually ether dimensional board or post, or a few beams for the bigger stuff!

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

WOODMIZER
    Only !!
    BTDT
    I have 2
    plus alaska killers

Bandit99, SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

.. .. methinks dis is da company or unit Sir CS is talkin about .. ..

[​IMG]

LT15 Portable Sawmill [ woodmizer dot com ]

da price is around $10,000 fer da gas unit .. ..

$13,000 fer da diesel?? .. ..

$11,400 fer da lektric?? .. ..

da problem is dese units got IR plus noise signatures .. .. folks is gonna know ya got em fer sure .. .. friend plus foe alike .. .. gonna be a target .. ..

do ya have a way ta treat da lumber after ya process it wid da mill?? if ya dont yer gonna have yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge trouble .. ..

shippin might be yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge too wid $4 or $5 a gallon gas .. ..

.. .. cant find a quick way ta calculate Tax or shippin .. .. ya need an account on da website methinks .. ..

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Bandit99 and SB21 like this.
  6. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Timber King

Bandit99 likes this.
  7. sec_monkey

[​IMG]

.. .. looks gud .. ..

dey aint got em in stock tho :(

.. .. dey cant even quote a real price fer it .. ..

.. .. if yer lucky ya might get it in late 2023 or 2024 or 2025 .. .. [dunno] [dunno]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Bandit99 likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Im glad I went with woodmizer LT15 and an LT 40 Hyd on wheels , both take the same blades , and for parts when you make that expensive noise , you can get them from the dealers all over .
    Alaska mills are stihl saws

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  9. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Anyone hear of Hudson Foret equipment

Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. sec_monkey

johnbb and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

You need to find them used. They’re out there. Look for a B-20.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Bandit99

@Cruisin Sloth "I went with woodmizer LT15 and an LT 40 Hyd on wheels..."
    Yes, I have been looking at the LT15 for ~$10K and parts availablity would be a huge reason to purchase Woodmizer as they are the most popular sawmill. Thinking real hard on trailer also as really like the idea to be able to move so easy but then it is harder to get logs onto deck so... What size motor do you have as it comes with 19HP (standard) or 25HP (option)?

Looking at the photos, the TimberKing seems like a brute! But, I can't wait until 2023. I've also been looking at Hud-son and Norwood.

@CraftyMofo "You need to find them used. They’re out there. Look for a B-20."
    Up this way (North Idaho), you will very seldom see sawmills for sell. They are like tractors as soon as someone decides to sell it's gone or it is sold to family member or friend but I will take your advice and look in the local papers. I was looking at the 1220CRZ for $13,200 (that's with trailer) but I don't think they make the B-20 anymore. Besides, they are taking orders for 2023 and 2024 and I can't wait that long. Do you have personal experience with TimberKing?

13. Cruisin Sloth

What wood are you milling ?? this makes a difference
    Sloth
    Softwood as old guys have ;) or hardwoods like i was 50y ago
    Sluth
    @Bandit99

14. Bandit99

Mostly all Pine (softwood), specifically Lodgepole pine and Ponderosa Pine, maybe some Tamarack. No hardwood around here, at least, I don't have any.

15. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Homesteaders magazine has a review in this month's paper just as a heads up.

Bandit99 and sec_monkey like this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

This year I finally got a wood processor from Range Road (Range Road USA - Range Road Enterprises Ltd. (USA)) I really like the machine, Logs go in one end and split firewood comes out the other. The quality of the product is great for the price and while I changed a few things more to my liking, there wasn't any issues with it...
    All this to say, they also make a saw mill and I have had my eye on them for a while as well, but I have no experience with them directly.

19. Cruisin Sloth

Dealer in Canada :
    @JediWoodsman

With this mans recommendation of the tool , I purchased the item with all his options he suggested.
    Thank you sir .
    Sloth

rr1. rr2.

When all the items are here and installed with the HYD Oil filter , I'll post pix again

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7