1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Sears maybe selling the Craftsman brand

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by stg58, Oct 4, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

"Sears Holdings Corp.’s sale of its Craftsman tool business has attracted bidders including Stanley Black & Decker Inc. and Hong Kong’s Techtronic Industries Co., people with knowledge of the matter said."

Sure Snap On and Mac are better but Craftsman are still good tools and if Hong Kong’s Techtronic Industries Co. buys them it would be the end of yet another great American brand as ALL production is moved to china if Stanley buys Craftsman it will be a wash since they have made many of the Craftsman hand tools for decades.

I am going through my Craftsman tools and checking for any that may need to be taken to Sears for new ones..
    To this day as much as Sears is in trouble when I take tools in it is a no questions asked instant replacement.

Sears’s Craftsman Said to Get Interest From Black & Decker
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Sad, the tools are one of the best reasons to go to Sears. I've gotten a lot of tough use out of mine and never a failure.
    AD1, Ura-Ki and franks71vw like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Interesting ideas, interesting stories

The tools are now Hencho en China. They sale "Craftsman" tools at my local Ace Hardware outlet. So - no big.
    Altoidfishfins likes this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey++

Actually, the tools for me is about the only reason I go to Sears. I hear they are not the same quality as they use to be but the hand tools seem to serve me well enough. My guess is that they are already made in China anyway so...
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Over the last year I picked up two grab and go hand tool sets 230 pc and 180 pc still USA tools all at Sears not at Ace.
    My main post is about hand tools Snap On, Mac and Craftsman.
    Snap On is marketing chinese made eectric devices like:
    Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop

Electric tools like Milwaukee, Craftsman, Dewalt ect. are sadly made in china.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I watch Ebay for "real" Crescent wrenches, Utica pliers and dikes (cutters), and many others.
    And yes Craftsman wrenches are made in China, and I caught a bit of a conversation in Sears that not all Craftsman tools have a lifetime exchange...
    Can anyone collaborate that?

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I only buy metric crescent wrenches!
    AD1, Homer Simpson and Altoidfishfins like this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey++

There are two different "Craftsman" lines...one made in US, the other made in Japan. US is lifetime (except for electrical such as drills) Japanese IIRC is one year.

And Gator, there are metric crescent wrenches...just look at the scale on the sides of some. Mine are SAE, but I have seen metric too...
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I have bought Craftsmen since the 60's , in the 90's they turned to off shore & then the Canadian Crapsman area was downsized to vacuum cleaner area. USA is still 85% but dwindling..

I'm a tool junkie + . If I borrowed it twice I should of owned it ,,

Never around for warranty , & This IS my trade , Subs to Fling-wings MIL.Spec.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    GOG, Gator 45/70, ghrit and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey++

This is good info. How does one tell the difference btw the two? I usually try to purchase USA made if the quality is good and the price fair.
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey++

Look for "Japan" on the tool...seriously :)
  12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

THe only Craftsman tools I've seen any more are made in China. I just bought a bunch last spring for the company tool box. Could not find any Craftsman tools that were made anywhere else. That's all their hand tools, wrenches ratchets, sockets, etc.

I purchased some ChannelLock brand slip joint pliers and they too, were made in China. There's no getting around it. A Milwaukee brand battery drill I purchased was also made there. The DeWalts are made in Mexico. Take your pick.

At my company I work with electronic devices, high precision GPS receivers, etc. Some are made by a company called Topcon. Guess what? They're made in the USA - SHOCK! Although I wouldn't doubt that most of the components come from China.

The US, and probably much of the world, is being backed into a corner such that we are becoming very dependent on a not-so-friendly country for all of our basic needs.
    GOG and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have not had issues with hand tools from craftsman but not one of the electronic test equipment is worth a dime.
    I have a very broad range of tools a collection over 100 years old an brand names no one has ever heard of . Even hand made adjustable wrenches.
    Critical jobs require the best you can afford , some shops will not allow any thing less than Snap On , particularly in the aircraft industry , I'm told.
    Often times though it's not tool quality but technique in attacking a problem and having EXPENDABLE/ SACRIFICIAL tools .
    Craftsman come in handy for that .
    When wrenching over or under water the harbor freight or craftsman are what I used.
    I must admit in the last few years I've noticed some new configurations from craftsman that show promise, but now that I'm retired I don't care .
    My favorite wrench style of all time though, is the combination socket head end wrenches .
    I think only Mac tool and Cornwell and Snap on carry them now. I liked the style so much that I made one that no one else provides in 11/32" .
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

the lifetime warranty only ever applied to non-powered hand tools, I don't know anything about "Made in Japan" not being warranted. But it all went into "waiting for the end" mode when KMart bought sears anyway. (or whichever way it went... they're closing all the sears here anyway, and the Kmarts are already gone)
    techsar likes this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

[​IMG] I run a few of these that are great .
    Fluke are 5 times as much .Read the scales
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You are welcome to all my failed craftsman meters .
    Unfortunately I've canibalized them for parts.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

That is what was on sale last month & the RE crowd buys lots of them , Made by the same CN folks as flukes 35 over 80 bucks , I bough a spare (Apprentices)
  18. natshare

natshare Monkey+

Sears was kind enough to close our local store, so now the "local" store is only an hour away! :eek:

I used to buy lots of Craftsman, but not so much anymore (especially recently, since the store closed! LOL). I was also a big fan of their 19.2v cordless tools, but I've just about had it with the company. Their customer service stinks! I ordered a new cordless drill (my old 19.2v unit was 15 years old, and the motor's starting to smell funny.....not funny "ha-ha", funny weird!), and had it shipped here (since the store had closed).

It get here, and it was obvious that this was an open box unit, that someone had purchased, then brought back, and that Sears should have never sold again as new....but they did! I called, told them it was unacceptable, and I wanted another one. A NEW ONE! The nice girl from another country told me that I could take it to my local Sears store, and exchange it there....so I explained to her that my local store was closed, and I wasn't driving an hour, each way, to exchange a cordless drill that THEY had messed up and sent me.

You would think that it would be as simple as them sending me out a new drill, and a label to return the first one they sent, right? NOPE! She had to charge me for the second one (but gave me a slightly better price on it), then have me ship the first one back, with their label that they'd send me, and I would get credit on my Sears card, once it showed up. Yeah, okay, whatever. A week later, the 2nd one shows up, and I never see a label for the first one....but my credit card was credited for the return! So now I have TWO drills, with two chargers, and four batteries! And you wonder why they're swirling around the drain??

As far as hand tools go, Harbor Freight, if you have one locally, sells hand tools with lifetime warranties. The only caveat, is that you have to have the receipt, to exchange a broken tool. That used to be a pain, having to hold onto all those receipts....but now they e-mail you the receipt, too! I've got a special folder, in my e-mail, just for those. (y)
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary