Security camera question

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by SB21, Apr 11, 2021.

1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I have a few cameras around my place. My daughter says every now and then, that someone is knocking them out by shooting a laser at them. I have seen them blip out a few times,, but never saw any laser. But , my question is ,, will a laser knock out and security camera .?? And if so ,, can you put the cameras behind a small 2 way mirror to divert the laser ?? And if this is possible,, do you know where you can get small 2 way mirrors ?? Or ,,, Maybe my daughter is more paranoid than I am,,,,

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

Would help if we knew brand of camera. Are they wired or wireless?
    Might have to find a laser and test mine out and see.

-JW

sec_monkey and SB21 like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Sounds like it's pretty hard to disable a camera with a laser: Will a Laser Pointer Damage a Security Camera? - TC Tech Systems.

Because criminals will try to defeat cameras by other means, such as spray paint, a common strategy is to place your cams to that they also cover other cams as well as your house or other object.

Another strategy if you suspect tampering is to hide any additional cameras. People have used dummy bird houses and bird or squirrel feeders as well as other objects for this

If your cameras are wireless, then it could be an intermittent issue with the camera and/or your wireless system. It could also be intentional or unintentional jamming

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What? I would think it would take a very powerful laser to begin with and you would see the beam bouncing off the surrounding area first before it gets lined up? Most of those security cameras will put off heat when viewed thru thermal vision btw

SB21 likes this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Mine are wired. A couple of them Nest cameras.
    Im about to set out a few wireless one . Well see how they work out as well.

mysterymet likes this.
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have an Artic Wicked Blue laser bought specifically for disabling cameras after getting a ticket because of one that captured me facing the wrong direction in a downtown parking space. Always parked there the same way but just a day or two before the ticket, some traffic engineer decided cars had to back into the spaces there. I parked between two cars both facing the same direction, didn't see the sign, and the idiot's sign was removed a week later because most everybody disagreed with it too and thought it was stupid. They made me pay a $75 fine and no recourse. I fried their cameras, it worked. Parking fine $75, Artic Wicked Blue Laser $245, satisfaction Priceless.

oldawg, jim2, Quigley_Sharps and 8 others like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

All electronic cameras use CCD Sensors for their light capturing element... These can be sensitive to a Laser Strike, directly on the CCD via the cameras lens setup... It will depend on the frequency of the CCD, and the Laser used, as well as the Power output of that Laser... Seacowboy’s High Power Blue Laser certainly would do the job, but a small Laser Pointer, or inferred Laser may not take out a Security Camera or just blind it while the lasser is actively on the sensor...

SB21, Tempstar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Dee and I were up at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot a few years ago and had a ball with that blue laser. We started a campground laser war, it was funny to see all the little green and red sights trying to compete with big blue. We actually directed the fire at the night shoot with it, outshining all the tracers, even on the mini-guns.

Quigley_Sharps, SB21, Dont and 2 others like this.
  9. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

please never git wireless they is too easy to hack plus disable

low power lasers can blind the sensors

higher power lasers can destroy the sensors

there is two major types of sensors CMOS plus CCD both can be messed with

dat is all i is gonna say openly

3M-TA3, SB21 and Tempstar like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have old nonfunctional cameras that you can easily see, other working cameras that you cannot easily see. Problem solved.

oldawg and SB21 like this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thank you Sir Sec ,,, my wireless ones are going to be the temporary,,, moveable,, just to check out different views from different areas ,, to see exactly where im needing them to get my best coverages .

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Something to check for on a wired camera are wiring issues like an intermittent connection. If connectors are involved clean and protect with DeOxit. If no connectors then it may even be something as simple as a cold solder joint somewhere. Could be signal or power.

How long have the cameras been in place. Might consider an internet search for that model and known problems and issues.

SB21, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

...or is she knocking them out for some reason? Perhaps to meet a less than savory character or some such? Just seems a bit odd she would know "someone" is knocking them out with a laser.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Dark Wolf, SB21 and Mountainman like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

This was actually a thought i had as well.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Same exact thing happened to me in San Marcos Texas. The CS cop was hiding about 50 yds away and I couldn’t see the sign because the sun was blotting it out. I was gone less than one minute. Haven’t exacted revenge yet but will

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Not say'n that roofing nails work on the cops hidey hole speed trap.....But when they have to spend time changing tires that's less tickets they can write.
    This is purely theoretical and everything?

crowdaddy, Dark Wolf, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Do cops really change their own flat tires ??

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Small towners have too, Others call for trustees to come out,
    Bigger departments call out the maintaince group which is still made up of trustees,

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7