Seed Saving Instructions (all on one site!)

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by natshare, May 12, 2019.

1. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

My cauliflower & broccoli plants (now in their 2nd year, as they were planted too late for a harvest last year, but survived our mild winter) have gone to seed, and I figured I'd check out how to save the seeds they produce.
    Unfortunately, since Brassica plants can easily cross-pollinate, it's unlikely that my plants will produce "true" seeds (more than one source I saw, suggested at least a mile between different crops, to prevent this!)....but what the heck? Maybe I'll come up with a wicked cross-pollinated Brussels Brocauliflower plant?? ;):eek::rolleyes::LOL:

Anyways, I figured some of you might want to put this site in your favorites/bookmarks, too, since part of growing your own food, will include saving your own seeds. That is, if you expect to eat what you grow, over successive years! :D

Completely Free, Detailed Seed Saving How-To for All Common Garden Vegetables

chelloveck, SB21, BlueDuck and 5 others like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Seed companies in US, seed packets, isolation of seeds to prevent crossing, etc, almost all traced back to the Shakers. Thank you for resource.

SB21, Ganado, natshare and 4 others like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ran across this for tomato seeds, but the fundamentals should work for many other plants. Basically he mimics nature to remove the natural sprouting inhibitor before drying.

natshare and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7