Selling PM, where to start.

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Aug 17, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Learn from my mistakes and get several more dollars per ounce on silver and 100 to 200 more dollars per ounce on gold.

The anti PM people like to show off this video to discourage people from PM.

Remember these are the useful idiots who will be voting for political flunkies that will try to seize your 401k because they never saved anything for retirement. Who really thinks any of the people shown will last more than 2 weeks once cut off from government provided fresh food and clean water?
    The 2 groups always wrong about PM are the wild enthusiasts and the haters. The PM enthusiasts will tell you every week for 8 years "gold is going to $2,000 and it's going to stay there" these people must be employed by PM dealers. And the PM haters, they think PM is dumb, they are usually gay for the stock market and are probably brokers for assorted fiat, work at a bank ect.

Who uses gold? Banks out side of Switzerland and Spain don't give a shit about gold. In the US banks only want to deal in fiat money. Gold is useless to them since they can't move it instantly, manipulate it, double count it, include that which they don't have in their holdings, ect, ect, ect. It facilitates the counting of chickens that's have not hatched.
    Most places outside of Alaska people won't use it as money regularly.

At some point you are going to have to sell unless you plan to die and let your kids inherent it all.
    At some point most of us will have to pay taxes on something or buy stuff, so you might as well not get screwed.
    And don't plan on "it will be worth so much when I sell I can take the dealer hit" ok, if you like getting screwed literally all the time good for you. Don't bet on the price going ridiculously high and staying there for your convenience.
    Remember people couldn't retire there for a while because democrats forced everyone to buy health insurance and that has exploded the cost of health care for older people. The only thing you can count on is someones stupid idea ruining your well executed plans. So just plan on and get good at getting the most for your PM.

When you sell you can be a dealer or sell to a dealer. So when to sell to a dealer when to be a dealer?
    Why be a dealer.
    Dealers sell above market value and buy below market value, unless you're a PM trader who is regularly buying tens of thousands of dollars at a time you're not buying at or below market.
    When to sell to a dealer.
    If you need some money fast for a limited time opportunity, definitely sell to a dealer, take the hit.
    If there is a runaway bull market and all the dealers are sold out because people are panic buying everything you should be able to sell popular gold and silver items for at least the spot price to a dealer. This will allow you to move a lot of PM fast and get great money for it. But these opportunities only come around once every 6 to 10 years and are for a limited time only.

Normally when the gold and silver price is in its normal range dealers will bid -10% below market value and ask up to +10 to 20% over market value.
    Apmex is bad about this. Don't sell to apmex unless they're sold out, but I have seen them offer above spot for coins and bars when they are sold out.
    Under normal conditions they will try to buy for $100 to $200 under spot. F that.
    Generally local coin shops are your best bet, not "places that buy gold". I have found "places that buy gold" only want to give you 3/4 what it's worth. Most pawn shops are just as bad.

The ultimate time to be a dealer is when the big guys are sold dry, you have inventory and do business with no minimum purchases.
    The easiest place to get dealer prices may be ebay. But unless you are a big seller your account will be limited to $5,000 or less of listings or sales, which ever one hits first. That worked for me because I only wanted to sell around that much silver.

The best way to sell is probably at gun shows. Everyone deals in cash, the cops are near by, no shipping costs, no packing stuff to ship, the only fees are a flat rate to get the table and it's over in 2 or 3 days.

2. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I've never been flush enough to buy shiny coins that people will kill me over. At least Gold holds its value but it doesn't work as well as paper money for wiping. I only own silver because an employer used to toss me a coin once in a while.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I got a 1943-P nickel with my change the other day,I'm like,This is worth more than a stinking nickel....lol

VisuTrac and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Everyone should buy at least some silver so in case the democrats ever succeed in turning the United States into a 3rd world shit hole country you can save your self feom dieing from a minor cut. That gets infected.

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well I got one dead beat not paying.
    That lowered the total to 157oz for about $5,870. It was 10 ounces and 1 shipping charge so profit margins were pretty high on that one.
    So next round I'm definitely not selling any 10s, I got way too many singles and shot to off load.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh yeah I cleared $30 an ounce on that last round.
    And I'm back. I think ebay only raised my listing limit to $6,000. But that's OK I should be able to sell all my singles and a good portion of my shot.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

@oil pan 4 How many auctions are you running at a time? Do you do any craigslist to cut out the ebay fees? Speaking of fees, you are clearing over 30 per ounce, buhjezuz people must really want to get their hands on Ag cause there are cheaper places than ebay. Are you selling ASEs or generic or ?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm just selling whatever for bars and shot.
    And some coins but nothing special.
    Only on ebay. People on Craigslist are retarded, ebay keeps most of the stupid broke people away.
    When I was selling solar panels on Craigslist I was selling 48v 395 watt panels for $150 each, very clearly stating that in picture and text. I had mental defectives contacting me "hey are these 12v?" Or "did you want $150 for all of them"? Fucking blitzing stupidity on a scale most can't comprehend
    Shot has been the best seller on a count of I only bought it 3 to 4 months ago and I'm pocketing at least $10 per ounce. I don't know if that will still hold true this go around.
    I was told silver shot was stupid and I would regret buying it. My only regret is not buying at least 4 hundred more ounces at that price when I had the chance.
    I track ebay, shipping and paypal fees very closely. I used to manually track it on paper but I sold enough last time I unlocked new seller abilities and all that stuff if figured automatically for me.

I don't think I'm going to make that much this time. The biggest sellers removed their minimum $300 and $500 orders, but they are still out of stock. I just put a small selection on there to see what happens.
    Last time sellers had minimum orders, I had a lot of fractionals and the fractionals were selling for about as much as whole ounces. That's what what allowed me to clear 30 an ounce.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I'm down.
    Price is down about 3 US fiat units.
    Views are down on my shit by about 27% on average.
    Clearing $27 per ounce.
    I have little motivation to sell at $27.
    All the weird stuff and fractionals that blew up my numbers big time are all gone.
    Five single ounces seems to be the way to go, sell 5x as much, same price per ounce as a individual ounces, but only print 1 shipping label.
    Start the bidding real low, make sure the auction ends in the early evening, on a weekend day when possible.
    Avoid big holiday weekends

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh and forget coins I paid more for them and they are selling for consistently less than the bars. I'm glad I only had like 40.

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Number of times my silver appears on peoples search is down by half and views are down a solid third.
    Time to pack it up.
    So a month ago there were a crap load of people looking, probably got scared off by high prices.
    There's less people looking now, but when they actually look, they are more likely to bid on something.
    If I can do this ever 4 to 7 years yeah it will make some money.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well that explains why. Here is the ebay chart showing all ebay sales for bars and rounds broken down by volume/time and volume / quantity.
    So July and august is a great time to sell.
    Then it drops to nothing in September, most years. The wavy line is the last 5 years average ebay sales in that category. The bar graph showing all ebay sales by dollar amount for that item category for the last year.
    I was selling the 3 peaks. Singles, twos and 3s were starting in the less than $20 32% category then selling in the 45% category. The 5 ounce packs and 5oz bars were starting in the under $20 category and were driven through the 45% category and into the lower end of the 19% category. I learned that selling tens just wasn't bringing home the bacon and that's why.
    So I'll probably need another plan to off load tens and kilos.

Knowing this I'm still buying poured tens and poured kilos when the price goes back down and I bulk buy.
    I'll still definitely buy fractionals, ones and fives when I can get a deal on them. Picking them up when the opportunity presents itself.

20200912_083757.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well 116 orders and over $11,000 later, just over 300 ounces I'm a top rated seller and my listing limit is now $17,000 per month.
    I had 1 late order out of all those, inventory control problem due to having a nearly 2 year old child on the loose.
    That wiped out all of my fractionals, nearly all of my singles and a good chunk of my 5 ounce bars and maybe half my shot.

So next time the price spikes I'll move $5,000 over about 3 or 4 days.
    I want the most $ for the fewest ounces of metal.
    I'm going to try to limit myself to $9,000 a month so Flowers By Irene don't bother to look any closer at me. My nefarious plan is to retire before I die. Sounds horrible right?

The last ounces sold late last week and all but 1 order went out Monday morning. Then the price went down nearly 2 and a half dollars Monday. Hahhahaha.

Lessons learned. Go to the coin shop more often. Buy old silver, really old when possible, always buy fractionals and weird stuff, definitely buy shot.
    Absolutely don't fuck around when buying shot, when I can get it cheap, buy hundreds of ounces.
    I can sell 2/3 to 3/4 of an ounce of shot and get as much as I would for a 1 ounce bar. But it sucks buying, printing, packing all those fractional packages.

List plenty of single and 2 ounce lots when the price spikes and the big sellers implement $300 to $500 minimum orders.
    The best way to sell on ebay is 3 and 5 ounce groups, not 4. For some reason people don't want 4.
    Start the bidding below $20, keep your items grouped so they max out around $150.
    Individual 10 ounce bars and 10 ounce single bar lots didn't really bring in the money I'm guessing I'm losing business to the big guys at that price and volume point. I just wasn't getting as many dollars over spot as I wanted.
    But next time the silver price spikes to $40-50 an ounce I will definitely be selling lots 10s and kilos at spot if I have to.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Might be time to start selling again.
    If you look at my ebay chart November is peak sales for the year.

15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

what was it for an election year?

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The chart only goes back 5 years and is just an average. Silver was dead in 2016 for the election. The choices were more of the same or trump who would likely make stocks soar.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh I can feel a disturbance in the silver price. Nearly $26 an ounce spot with the big guys doing about a $4 spot fee.
    That's on the edge of making me want to go back to the dealer side.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. tinfoil hat Davy

tinfoil hat Davy Monkey++

I used nickels as a savings plan. It is the only coin that has not changed in metal content- 75% copper, 25% nickel. When I started picking up a box (22 pounds, $100.) every time I cashed my paycheck the melt price was about $.07./ per. nickel. I did this for a few years. Then I put my house up for sale. Not wanting to move 3000 pounds of coin I started returning them to the bank. Commie virus and coin shortage were in full swing, they were happy to take them. Paid for my moving truck and trailer. That war nickel is worth about $2.00 melt, more to a collector if in good shape.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. tinfoil hat Davy

tinfoil hat Davy Monkey++

CMI has a lot of odd stuff for $1.15-$2.00 over if you can buy 100 ounces or more. Check out their silver specials page. I would like to pick up another 1000 ounces but not at these prices. SD bullion has 5 ounce bars for $1.79 over and Britannias for $2.25.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Silver is back over $27 an ounce, so close.
    I may list a few small lots just to try out ebays new pay system.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7