Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties: The Classic Guide to Building Wilderness Shelters

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Guerrilla Tactical, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Guerrilla Tactical

Guerrilla Tactical A Well Dressed Monkey

Anyone ever read this book? I love this book. I would have to say this is the book that introduced me to survival and bushcraft.

I first read the book in third grade, after finding it in the elementary school library. I think I was the only one that checked the book out, and did so repeatedly until I entered 7th grade. This book is awesome! It's filled with illustrations for how to build various shelters from primitive, underground, to lodge style log cabins!

It's not step-by-step, of course, but it's super well thought out. If you can survive in the wild, you can understand this book.

Bonus info: The author of this book is the co-founder of the Boy Scouts of America, so you know it was well thought out!

I had completely forgotten about this book after a few decades of other things to worry about, and only recently ran across it again on the Internet, in a bit of serendipity. Needless to say, I went and bought a copy for myself, and now own something I treasured as a child!

You guys gotta check this book out if you've never heard of it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486437477/?tag=survivalmonke-20

2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Here is a copy of what I assume is D.C. Beard's original 1914 version? But, I don't recall it having any images, like the version on Amazon apparently does? Click HERE to download a copy of the eBook.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    ochit, snake6264 and chelloveck like this.
  3. ochit

ochit Monkey+

WOW even print back in the day was small that whole download was less than 500KB thanks I will read it as soon as I get an odd few minutes.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  4. john316

john316 Monkey+++

5. Guerrilla Tactical

6. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Guerrilla Tactical likes this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Here's a few books...

Attached Files:

8. john316

john316 Monkey+++

gone,gone,gone

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  9. Guerrilla Tactical

Oh, we love books!

10. Guerrilla Tactical

These four books are going to help out tremendously for my future plans!

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  11. ochit

ochit Monkey+

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7