Sheriff vows to deputize thousands of citizens to uphold “God-given right” to bear arms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Dec 8, 2019.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

“If the legislature decides to restrict certain weapons, I feel harms our community, I will swear in thousands of auxiliary deputies in Culpeper. There’s no limit to the number of people I can swear in. Personally, I don’t think some of the bills that are proposed will pass, I don’t think we’re that far left in Virginia.”
    Sheriff vows to deputize thousands of citizens to uphold “God-given right” to bear arms

Sounds like a plan to enforce the 2nd.

The area Minutemen fought in one the first battles of the revolutionary war in Va.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Altoidfishfins, BenP, 3cyl and 11 others like this.
  2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

if any of those VA sheriffs think they can obviously legally rebuff a state law and get away with it are going to get set down quikly - the governor can suspend them without a problem ...

in regard to deputizing the masses - it would only take a single judge to stop that dead ...

you can do all kinds of rebel stuff - it just won't be legal

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Better go back and READ VA State Statutes.... Especially the Statute that defines the County Sheriff and who he reports to... That is what defines the County Sheriffs Office, Duties, and oversight....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

guy - if the governor wants to stop a renegade sheriff - HE WILL - there isn't a law enforcement officer of any kind in the US that doesn't answer to civilian control >>>> even the mighty FBI and CIA are finding that out ....
    if a governor wants to - he can push the big red button and declare an emergency and do anything damn thing he wishes ....
    comes simply down to - a law enforcement ENFORCES a legit law passed by civilian run gooberment - he does get to make them and he most certainly doesn't get to openly decide whether he will or not enforce it >>> that LE that thinks he's some f___king self made dictator needs to move to Venezuela and run over civilians with his armored vehicles ....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. HK_User

I doubt you understand the position of a SHERIFF.
    Yes the governor might want to do something stupid but the sheriff must first be tried and found guilty of a crime, deputizing the whole county would not be a crime.

BenP, 3cyl, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Keyword is "legit", if it isn't legit, it doesn't exist. SCOTUS said so a LONG time ago. I've lost the exact words, but it's to the effect that a law "abhorrent to the Constitution" (I think is the phrase) doesn't stand. Also, I would not be too surprised that stuff like that will vary a bit state to state, but the net is the general sheriff makes the decision to enforce or not. Much the same, prosecutors have some leeway to prosecute or not.

7. HK_User

The Sheriff in this case would have been elected by the voters in the County, in short they would have to vote him out. No other LEO has the legal power to remove the Sheriff with out a legal Reason.

marlas1too likes this.
  8. BTPost

A sheriffs duties are defined by State Statute, as is the Governor’s and the AG’s... Each State may define these positions, and duties differently... Here in Alaska the only elected LawEnforcement Officer is the Governor... All the rest are Appointed, and serve at the Governors Pleasure... We have NO Sheriffs PERIOD... Virginia being one of the Founding States, their Founding Statutes came into being BEFORE The Constitution, and before the Union was formed... It ALL DEPENDS on how those Defining Statutes, as Amended, are written... In some states, the Sheriff is ELECTED... and can only be removed for CAUSE, which is determined by the defining Statute... CAUSE, in some cases, is determined in State Court...

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Actually, the Governor has NO SUCH POWERS, over any sheriff!
    What they do have is the Dept Of Justice who can choose to act or not, but NO governor can remove a Sheriff or interfere in his administration within his county! That's the real beauty of Office of Sheriff, he IS the ultimate authority in his county and is not under any ones thumb!

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3, Dont and 3 others like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

17 kids shot dead at MSD HS.

*"Fla. Senate votes to remove Scott Israel as Broward county sheriff"

*Video can be found on youtube.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  11. BTPost

Actually, That depends on how the State Statute that defines the Office of Sheriff, in that State is written.. There are States that use the US Constitutional Definition of Sheriff, and in those States, you may be correct... However, in some other States, the Office of Sheriff is defined differently, in the defining State Statute, where the Governor can remove a Sheriff for CAUSE, and appoint a replacement to fill out the Election Term... It is ALL defined in the State Statue that covers the Office of Sheriff...

12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Correct, and to my knowledge, only 7 states have any State Governmental say over their Sheriffs, including the right to recall, Terminate, and replace as apposed to a vote of the county in which the Sheriff is/was elected!
    As far as I know, only 2 states provide the ability for the Governor to assign duties TO their Sheriffs, and to control their offices as "Needs of the State" provide ( Within Limits) BUT, the Sheriff does retain his/her Powers over the County as the Ultimate Law Enforcement Officer! States with out a Sheriff generally suffer for it under the State Police and or Governor, and I'm not sure How Alaska manages it, but it seems to me that it does not work out very well! States with a Rangers service, also have issues with jurisdiction, as Rangers are NOT sworn or chartered officers of the law, rather ( Should be) auxiliary to the Sheriff! Another issue is Tribal Police, which should, ( and in most cases do) serve within the limits of the Sheriff! In other words, a sort of agreement is reached between those contractor agencies to serve along side the Sheriff, while the Sheriff retains control and the last word!

Gator 45/70 and Dont like this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well , if the good Sheriff is unable to carry out those duties ,, then hopefully the good citizens of those counties can step up and take over for the Sheriff .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. BTPost

As I stated above, In Alaska, The only ELECTED, and Senior Law Enforcement Officer, is the Elected Governor... All other Law Enforcement Officers including the Attorney General, are appointed, and some need to confirmed by the State Senate, LIKE THE commissioner of Public Safety... All of these folks, serve at the Pleasure of the Governor, and can be canned by him, at ANY TIME, and for ANY REASON.... All City & Borough LEOs also are under the Commissioner, for their Certification, who can deCertify any of them, for Cause, or Fired by the Governor, without cause...
    The EPA found this out when they tried to do Forced Clean Water Act enforcement, on the Placer Mining, near Chicken, Ak... The EPA sent their Enforcement SWAT Team from down south, to carry out these inspections... The Miners were very upset about the “Bullying” tactics, and called the Governor while the inspections were still being done... The Governor told the Commish to Chopper out a bunch of State Troopers, and take these outside Yahoos into custody, and transport them to the Anchorage Airport, to be flown out of the State. He then called the EPA Administrator, and told her if she ever sent them back into the State, they would be arrested, and locked up in State Prison, FOREVER.... and he wasn’t joking around... They haven’t ever tried that again... Oh, Yea, No violations were ever noted, before the inspections stopped...

15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

@BT,,, That is when you know you've got an elected official that is working for the people ,,,, (y)

16. BTPost

Yea, he was Pissed to the Max...

HK_User, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

BenP, HK_User, 3cyl and 2 others like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Man, THAT'S the Good Stuff! Glad to hear you guys take the Constitution serious up there, sure wish we had more of that down here in the Lower 48!

BlueDuck, HK_User, 3cyl and 3 others like this.
  19. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Actually, most sheriffs do not report to anyone but the people who elected them.

HK_User, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

Regardless of who answers to whom......this will force this right into the Courts...real fast. Hopefully fast-tracked to the SCOTUS (after Ginsberg croaks)

BenP and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7