Shortage on Canning Supplies

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Anyone noticed the shortage on canning supplies? Lids and jars are in short supply and have been this way for a few months. I have heard a few folks comment that they cannot find lids. Anther lady said she had to got to multiple stores in order to find all the jars she needed. My local market has had bare canning shelves quite a while. Amazon has limited quantities, same with Wal-mart. Ace Hardware is limiting one per customer.
    Amazon:
    Screenshot_2020-09-21 Ball Lids and Bands.

Ace Hardware:
    Screenshot_2020-09-21 Canning Supplies at Ace Hardware.

GOG, GrayGhost, UncleMorgan and 5 others like this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Been nearly impossible to find wide mouth lids for a while now unless you get the ones coming in out of China. The regular mouth Ball lids are usually in stock at the grocery store and Squallmart but seems like the price has doubled. I had a pretty good stash plus a few dozen Tattlers in each size, but been canning everything in the regular mouth first since I still see that size. Every time we go shopping I get another box or two.

The jars are definitely depleted here. Weird sizes are still easy to find like the jelly jars and the 1.5 gallon ones but the wide mouth pints and quarts are gone. Fortunately I have so many jars that I have almost a dozen cases I've never even opened up.

reconprepper, oldawg, GOG and 6 others like this.
  3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Thing are getting skinny around this AO as well, and yes the prices are going up..

GOG, UncleMorgan, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  4. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Same thing here.

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just like ammo, stock up or be left along the side of the road.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

What until the "Carter-era' inflation kicks in.

If you don't have it now (or real damn soon) you won't be able to get it (whatever you are looking for) at all.

I do wonder if that unrestrained trade with China and their cheap (and lousy) glass has anything to do with this??

7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Declining usage, not so many canning any more. I just put up several jars of tomatoes and some pear preserves, if I had had to purchase supplies at today's price, could have bought them in tin cans cheaper.

GOG, UncleMorgan, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  8. DKR

Yup
    That's the biggest reason we stopped canning

Still have the can-ner pots and a slug of parafin in case lids are a no go.
    Canning 101: Why You Shouldn't Can Like Your Grandmother Did – Food in Jars
    or not. Wax is mostly a last resort with the danger of a high rate of seal failure.

9. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

there are none to find in the mid west no seal lipds maybe if your at the right place jars but that's it

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We haven't had lids nor jars around here for months.
    during my annual summer vacation across this great state, only found a scant few items during 14 days out and about.

HK_User, BenP, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Deer tags sold out quick here! My hubby was able to get 3 for bow season. He should be able to fill them.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Usta bee that yard, garage and estate sales were overloaded with Ball jars with lids and gaskets. Not one to be found this year.

13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The Local store has some but in short supply, at least not as bad as ammunition. Not all jar sizes available, pints mostly. Plenty of sugar, salt and spices for pickling and gallons of white vinegar.

HK_User, sec_monkey, BenP and 2 others like this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"Anyone noticed the shortage on canning supplies?"

Yes! Here in Northern Idaho they are pretty much sold out, probably due to a number of reasons but what I found is that anything to do with one's survival or preparedness has gone up in price and are hard to come by, things like ammo, freeze-dried food, canning supplies... November is coming and soon! People aren't stupid and they see what is coming so...

HK_User, sec_monkey, Dont and 2 others like this.
  15. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

This ^^^
    Four or five years ago I bought a 50 gallon bag of pintos and canned them all up in various ways. Taco, chili beans, jalapeno bacon pintos, ranch style. Pain in my ever expanding backside lemme tell you. Well we are down to the last 2 quarts and I was dreading the thought of doing it again but I was going to. Until I priced it out. If I bought the dried beans at Sams, which is the cheapest by far, it came out to .78 a pound. Jars are reusable but the lids cost, and I won't even let myself think of the labor end. Then I saw the case of ranch style beans came out to .89 a pound. Ranch style pintos with jalapeno were on sale .99 a pound. If I went generic I could get beans at around .69 a pound. SO, I bought a ton of canned beans in all our favorite types, and saved my jars for canning stuff that actually saves me money, like milk and meat.

HK_User, GOG, Ganado and 7 others like this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I live in Amish land. This stuff is everywhere, now. Wasn't much around right at the start of the panic, though.

reconprepper, HK_User, GOG and 3 others like this.
  17. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Yep. The laws of economics are very specific. Food factories really can make it for less.

That being said, us prepper types should save every jar we buy (peanut butter, pickles, whatever) plus latch onto every kind of canning supplies we can find at a good price.

We'll all be canning again when the food factories shut down (for whatever reason) and the old economics will no longer apply.

It costs three times more to buy the cucumbers to make a quart of dill pickles than the cost of a factory quart--plus you get the brine and jar for free.

I buy stuff in glass jars so I can hotpack them again if I choose--whenever it becomes necessary. I can also drypack dehydrated foods in them. A lot of garden produce dehydrates well and has a long shelf life.

I refill used Christmas tins (usually costing $0.25 to $0.50 each) with dry goods like sugar, salt, rice, pasta, flour, and dry beans.

Buy what you can, when you can. Find or make the necessary cubic for a years' food for each family member. Store at least a month's supply of drinking water for each family member.

The future is uncertain, but will inevitably be perilous at some point in time.

18. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Canned food is getting scarce at the grocery store from what I hear.

HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I was in a grocery store looking around this am
    A lot of empty shelves in the can section
    Something I haven't seen in awhile.
    But by the same token,Theres a tremendous amount of food drives donation type going on for the people out west Louisiana

HK_User, GOG and sec_monkey like this.
  20. DKR

Was at the local .mil Commissary today.

A massive amount of enpty shelf space and more than held just a can or two.

The shelves for chips, cookies and other junk Chow however were nearly full.

HK_User, SB21, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7