1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

SM Moves to a Responsive Style

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by melbo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Responsive what?

A responsive style is a web site syle that automatically adapts to different displays: from a desktop/laptop monitor to a table to a phone.

From Wikipedia:
    What does this mean to most of you? Probably nothing as you browse the web on a typical desktop or laptop. The differences come into play for those on tablets (iPad, Kindle, etc) or a small mobile device (iPhone, Android, Galaxy, etc) where certain site features are slimmed or stripped to display the important content on smaller devices.

SM had 22,149 visits from mobile devices last month. We've converted out new dark style (Dark monkey) and our default style (Monkey Style) to responsive as described below.

SM normal screen view (Monkey Style)
    Screenshot from 2013-02-07 20:52:28.

and New Threads:

Screenshot from 2013-02-07 20:52:53.

On tablets (I've only tested with iPad and iPad Mini), we lose the sidebar to allow for more forum viewing (the sidebar is now accessed by a button at the bottom of the page which expands it):

What's New view iPad:

The biggest difference occurs when we browse via iphone:
    The navigation buttons and anything else that would get too small to be functional disappear:

The normal Navigation buttons have all been placed into the single button titled Forum Navigation (see it in the above image). It looks like this when you expand it (containing all the normal navigation tabs we're used to):

image (7).

So we just clicked on What's New and see this:

image (8).

The navigation is different but it's a move towards doing away with tapatalk as we don't like relying on 3rd party providers. It's going to take a few days to get used to but after 3 days of testing, I'm now using my phone browser over tapatalk to access the site.

If anyone doesn't wish to view the site in Mobile or this Responsive view on their device, they can always find the styles at the bottom of the forum and choose Monkey Style Full to get back to full desktop view.

We're still working out a number of bugs but wanted to let everyone know since we switched the default style (live) to this new technology last night.
    CATO, chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Pioneer in a New World Moderator Founding Member

Just tried it...cool
  3. melbo

Give a some other 'trys' and let me know how it works.
    This was a larger task than our forum move from vBulletin to xenForo in terms of hours spent... Problem is that I'm not much at CSS styling and <div class = crap> rules.

I think that most people do not participate in forum discussions from their iPhone browsers. This type of a style and it's functionality is best illustrated by visiting a single thread (linked from a friend via email, found in Google, etc) on a small device using the Monkey Full style and then using the Monkey Style (default). For seekers of survival information, the responsive view is nearly perfect for reading on whatever it was they were looking for.

I've also seen a larger number of attacks from .cn domains against the directories that house the Tapatalk files (also created by a Chinese software company) and I'd feel better if we could handle the mobile solution ourselves.
    chelloveck likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Thankyou to melbo and the team who are constantly improving the useability of the site.
    ColtCarbine and CATO like this.
  5. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

@melbo the Shepard, always making life better for us sheepdogs!
  6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

So, this is what you were doing. You guys and your electronic gadgets, I'm still using a flip phone. LOL!

Keep up the good work for those who are up to date with electronics.
  7. melbo

One additional benefit over Tapatalk is that you'll have a fully functioning Shoutbox

These images were uploaded from the camera roll on my iPhone. :)
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I am not using Tapatalk, just the default browser for Verizon.
  9. melbo

TT is an app that allows you to browse forums in a more simplified style. It costs money too.

These screenshots are from the default iPhone/iPad browser, Mobile Safari. I think I took a couple with another browser that has a 'full screen' feature too.

10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

this made it seem as if you believed I had tapatalk.
  11. melbo

Nope, I've learned to assume nothing. Just posting added features as I discover them.
  12. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja Jedi Bipolar WINNING M.L.F.

Note - you can get rid of the amazon banner by hovering over it and clicking the X when it appears.

Keep up the good IT work guys...it's much appreciated.
  13. melbo

Yep, all of the Notices are 'dismissable' by design.

and thanks
  14. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

JMHO, but it reminds me to use the portal when I shop.
  15. melbo

Yeah and we thank you for that. They are 'dismissable' so that anyone who wouldn't use them or need them can move them out of the way.
  16. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I like having it there, that way you don't have to search for it. But, for those who want it gone: you can always find the thread with the link and "watch" the thread; then just find it in your "watched threads" screen.
  17. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Just thought I'd give you guys a little bit of positive feedback, I've been checking in here during the day via my phone and I really like the phone version. Well done Monkeys, well done !
  18. melbo

Interesting stats. SM viewers are 44% tablet/mobile today

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary