Small pond catfish

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by TnAndy, May 28, 2020.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

We have a wet weather spring that runs down the center of our place in a natural draw, so years ago I dozed out a couple small ponds and we raise catfish in them. I get fingerlings every couple years from a mobile fish truck out of Arkansas that runs a route thru the area and feed them a commercial fish pellet. When they get up to couple-three pounds, I'll fish out some and clean/freeze the fillets. Mighty good eating !

Feeding time at the upper pond.

[​IMG]

Partial view of the lower pond:

[​IMG]

Yard Dart, 3cyl, Mountainman and 9 others like this.
  2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Be sure to let us know when you start noodling the cats in your pond. We want to see a video like this!

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

My Grandparents had catfish in their ponds in Arkansas. They fed them like you do with floating pelts and they are tasty. We use to catch them and let them spend a week in the clean pond by the house so they didnt taste muddy.

One year an albino catfish bred (genetic recessive) my Grandpa loved that albino and we had instructions to let it go if we caught it.

and of course i caught it one day and it swallowed the bait and hook whole. I couldn't bare to tell him so i cut the line and thru it back. That fish survived 5 more years before a portion of the carcass washed up on shore

3cyl, Wild Trapper, Bandit99 and 7 others like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Cool! I really like catfish. Good eatin'! :cool:

SB21, Gator 45/70, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

They are dirty, filthy, smelly disgusting creatures, but when breaded, fried and served with hush-puppies.;)

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Love some good Catfishin, we got the big ass channel cats up here, pretty fun catchin them, but not so much good eatin, the smaller ones are best, warm clear water cats are the best!!

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Not sure if this is true or not,,but I've heard 2 stories,, 1 ) hooks are made from a metal that rusts away pretty quick just in case they are lost in a fish's mouth,,,, 2) that fish secrete some type of enzyme or something that makes the hook dissolve quicker ,,, not sure if either are true ,, maybe someone here can sling bull on the story. But I was thinking after 5 years , maybe you weren't the cause of the fish's passing.

Gator 45/70, Wild Trapper and Ganado like this.
  8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

My Father built a fish pond about 30 years ago, and today I consider it one of my most important preps. Fish whenever we need the extra protein, and water for drinking and irrigation.

9. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Exactly.......and a fire protection reserve.

Gator 45/70, 3cyl, Airtime and 2 others like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

My grandfather had a pond dug to keep the cows watered the year hurricane Hazel came through,, they actually had to quit digging till the hurricane had passed and everything got back to normal . Sadly the land was sold off around 2014,,, ( stupid family) ,,, but it at one time or another it had about any fresh water fish that can inhabit a small pond. Fished that thing many a morning, and evening with a cane pole and a can of freshly dug worms in 60s and 70s. Even hauled out a few snappers as well.
    Thanks for the memories.
    :rolleyes:

Gator 45/70 and Airtime like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Geez, what an interesting video. I enjoyed it so much that I watched it twice! Never seen anything like it before, never even heard of 'Noodling' before!...and that fish is about as big as she is! What accent is that they are speaking, Louisiana?

Gator 45/70 and Airtime like this.
  12. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

That lady has been at that a while.
    She has several videos on youtube.
    I've watched several of them.

My pond does not hold water.
    I dug it down to about 4' and hit pure sand.
    Been meaning to get either clay or a liner.
    Granddaughters probably would stay out of it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I believe she's an Alabama critter. I like her attitude ,, always seems to be happy ,, that's something we could all use in our life. I'm more of a hook and line catfisher tho ,, not much on diving into their AO to catch one. I'd be scared a 50+ pound cooter would hold my ass on the bottom till I saw Jesus. :eek:

Bandit99, oldawg, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  14. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Alabama.
    The Huntress Hannah Barron

Hannah Barron Outdoors

She has several dozen vids with more catfish, hunting ferel hogs, bow fishing, catching and cleaning snapping turtles, carpentry, shooting, etc.
    Hannah Barron

Good all American redneck fun that sure beats watching thugs and thieves plunder and burn cities. I prefer to smile than get irritated.
    AT

Seawolf1090, Bandit99, oldawg and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7