So What is Your Deciding Factor to Leave Town Before Logjam in Beginning of TEOTWAWKI?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Oct 28, 2019.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I assume many of you monitor for SHTF evolving into TEOTWAWKI events, daily. What would your deciding factor be, assuming you can miss work, deciding to get out of town in the early stages before logjam?

2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Ummm Ed in TEOTWAWKI missing work is kind of not a factor anymore :)

3. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

That may be the hardest call to make. It takes situational awareness, monitoring LEO and emergency management, and local news. When everyone else is leaving it's too late. Better to leave for nothing than to not be able to leave at all. Official agencies have full scale exercises, why don't you?

4. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

LOL I mean situations where there is a deadly flu but people don't know it yet and are going to work, etc.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  5. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

In my opinion, I think its better to live where you don't have to leave.

3cyl, ED GEiN, Seepalaces and 13 others like this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

"It depends" on the cause.

Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The denser the population the earlier you need to leave
    The denser and more violent the criminal element the earlier you need to leave
    The more dependent the population on government the earlier you need to leave
    The more dependent the population on grocery stores the earlier you need to leave
    The further you have to travel to a place you may think as safe the earlier you need to leave
    The more choke points in the roads between your AO and "safety" the earlier you need to leave

By my calculations the time to leave SoCal was about the time California became deep blue ensuring that bad things were going to happen. Yes, it's a fun place to be when things are good. I've been there many times on business and even recently. Since I haven't been one of the "frogs in the pot" I see things that locals don't and I was "on alert" the entire time and praying to God things didn't go wonky while I was there.

I know that you won't consider relocation and that's your prerogative and I hope that you are aware of the risks. The sad reality is that you are unlikely to make it out if you wait for it to begin. I don't think I could either so I'm not slamming you.

I suggest you build up sick leave as much as possible and aquire a "chronic illness" so that you can justify taking a sick day here and there. When your spidey sense goes off then call in to work (cough, cough) and split to where you can monitor.

Best situation is if you can telecommute since you could work out of a hotel room or even a coffee shop anywhere. That way you could split to Nevada and as far as your employer knows nothing has changed even though you are working from the cheapest room in Vegas while you continue to monitor. Being able to telecommute also means you can more easily permanently relocate if/when the end becomes apparent to a safer AO, even if it's still in CA.

Seepalaces, Mountainman, GOG and 4 others like this.
  8. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Man, I'd think twice about Vegas. Right in the middle of a not very friendly desert. I'd agree with others Ed that the time to leave Cali is now. I wish I could get my daughter out of there but she loves it and frankly has her head in the sand and refused to discuss politics or news in general. I don't even want to visit there these days.

9. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Being there now is the best plan. The place you live in is a place you need to escape from?

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I wouldn't stay in Vegas long if things weren't going in a very positive direction. From Ed's AO it's along the closest escape path and it's closer to his sister's. Relative safety from SoCal has bad choke points regardless of direction. I'm definitely not saying that he should rid things out in Vegas, just a first step where he can do a spot check to decide if he needs to bail.

11. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

your posting immediately belays a thought problem >>> it's not an "either/or" decision you're making - it's bugging out - there's SHTFs where you're not going anywhere or shouldn't be bugging out ...
    in regard to intel monitoring - better have grading system you use and have it linked to your evaluating prep level >>> you definitely have the correct idea about getting an early heads up on the sheeple types ...

Seepalaces, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Things can turn south any day no matter where you are on the planet.
    I know a family that moved 3 times in a year running away for storms flood and earth quakes each time.
    In the light of eternity what matters is not surviving this life but property trained for the next.
    Trouble is always about to come ,thought it be real or speculative.
    I have lived through many different disasters unscathed . I am no dare devil nor do I intentionally tempt God but till He gives me specific direction I'm staying put, because my purpose is not personal survival, but to help others survive judgment.

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lets see Ed
    Shit and needles in the street...Check
    No power....Check
    State is on fire as usual...Check
    Liberals running the government...Check
    Taxes and gasoline high as a giraffes ass...Check
    Homeless bums humping your leg for drug money...Check
    May want to start looking old Pard-Nahhh!!!

14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

If you need a "chronic illness" you can always claim to have migraine headaches, allergies, or food poisoning/ stomach flu (diarrhea and vomiting ). You will have to miss a few days of work, now and then, to make it believable. That should buy you a few days.

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Ed, most of your posts seem to focus on getting out of where you are. I believe that if that were weighing on my mind so heavily I would take it as my subconscious telling me to go ahead and leave. Hopefully you have gathered plenty of information here that tells you that your current situation sucks. No one can know anyone's exact circumstances but you seem to be rather close minded about taking proactive steps now and focusing on "what if" way too much. You aren't alone, there are tons of people out there with a Wise food bucket and a case of bottled water hoping they will be OK if something happens, but unwilling to take that next step and improve their situation. If your past posts are truthful about where you live, you are more in need of a genie in a bottle than a BOB to survive a catastrophic mass casualty event. The majority of us here think out past a year, and you seem to only think as far as your sisters house. Please, if you are truly serious, start thinking of improving your situation long term now, and not after "something" happens. If you experience a major earthquake you're stuck. Pandemic, stuck. Foreign invasion? Stuck. Nuclear attack? Well, ashes.

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I don't worry about it. Things are about as shitty as I've ever seen them over all, and it's going to get worse. I've reached the stage where I don't care any more. Want my stuff, come take it at your peril. I'll be polite to a point, I'll be a good neighbor, I'll help where I can,beyond that I just don't care. The world I grew up in is dead and gone forever. I won't play by the new rules, no PC, a spade is a spade, not a multi-purpose digging implement. I got a dick so I'm pretty sure I am male gender. I don't want to use the women's bathroom, bad enough to pee on my own toilet seat and I can leave it up if I want to. I drew the line at women passing laws that make it a crime to leave the toilet seat in gender neutral bathrooms. I'll drive at safe speeds given the traffic conditions, I will carry a gun or two whenever I leave my walls and I don't care if you like it or not. I don't cut my hair any more and I don't care if you have an opinion about it. Last night, I stood by the fire pit with some neighbors, got invited to a dove shoot this weekend but one lady left because she didn't like my cigar. She made the comment that she was leaving because of my cigar. Tonight all the neighbors will be smoking cigars and that hypocrite will sit on her own porch with her marlboros by herself while we drink whiskey and tell lies.

17. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

Lets, see..... how can I phrase this..... If you reside in a location that you believe will become dangerous and/or untenable for you as the result of some man-induced or naturally occurring disaster and your Plan 'A' is to somehow recognize its approach in advance and get out ahead of the unpleasantness, they you should already have left. I take it Ed lives in S. California. Frankly, the entire state has 'signs' aplenty to un-ass that place already. What more could anyone be waiting for?

Seawolf1090 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Like a lot of people Ed has a job, apartment, family(sister and BIL), friends, etc.. Plus folks will think that you're a failure, if you leave California or NYC. Ed, I'm assuming that you have a car, but the only mode of bugging-out that I can recall you posting about was walking to your sister's house. With a car, a full tank and 5-10 gals. of gas in jerry cans you might be able to go out of town, if you leave early. The bad news is that you will be restricted to the West Coast, because you won't have the range to go anywhere else.

3M-TA3, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

A lot of good thoughts here. Ed, if you can see it coming (financial collapse, urban unrest etc) that's one thing, the immediate events, earthquake, EMP etc, are an entirely different ball game and require some very different thinking. I would agree with most here that getting out of Cali is something to consider. Having flown in to the LA area to visit Mom when she was alive, if the balloon goes up, geographically, you are in a terrible spot. You have almost 40 million people that will need stuff and are trying to get out of whatever place they are in. Of that 40 million, 13 million are in your neighborhood, then you have San Diago to the south and SF to the north, your only way out is east and that's desert for a long damn way. Fire is another thing to think about. Roads can suddenly close, escape routs can clog almost instantly, if you are trying to walk somewhere and some idiot starts a camp fire that gets away from him... . Your choice, pray on it.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and chelloveck like this.
  20. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I think there would be different trigger events for each scenario. Like the government declaring a bank holiday, rioting in a nearby city, welfare checks being delayed, large solar event prediction, the use of nukes anywhere in the world, or Trump actually being removed from office.

Seawolf1090 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7