So you think you can walk to the woods and live! Explicit Photos You have been warned.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by HK_User, Feb 16, 2015.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

The killing continues, Cougar or other has taken 3 calves and this older cow.

This is the competition the "City Survivors" will be up against when they BUG OUT, eat or be eaten, other scavengers on another camera later.

I__00000.JPG

stg58 likes this.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Which is exactly why I am in the woods now and forever. Most of my tribe is within a mile as the crow flies. Roads and clear cuts will need to be blockaded, gated, guarded, and access controlled. The coyote, feral dog and cat, panther and bear, will not be allowed to threaten our livestock or loved ones. Four small towns within 20 miles will provide all the commerce and group interaction needed. Small I can tolerate for short periods of time. Turn the clock back. Let us get on with it.

pearlselby, Georgia_Boy and Shaunda like this.
  3. HK_User

Scavengers of large cattle, maybe killers of the calves. No action this day from Buzzards, too cold and too overcast.

I__00126.JPG

I__00030.JPG

I__00033.JPG

stg58, Tully Mars and ditch witch like this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

The yote looks healthy and well fed. ....

HK_User likes this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

WAR....Good luck with your hunt.....and very sorry for your loss!!

6. HK_User

Day time will be spent making a large box trap.

Take a while but pictures when done.

From other indications this Yote is the leader of a pack. I will use another camera with a black flash and may get more information. I used the visible flash to check for eyes in the back ground.

Yesterday as I checked the site it was clear to me that I was being watched, this size kill and no other varmints around means something was guarding the kill site. Tomorrow/today I will have a 12 gauge and do a bit of brush hunting.

I do not expect much success but you do what you can.

Georgia_Boy, Bear, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

HK with all the cat sightings around our AO and even as far north as Palo Pinto county it wouldn't be a surprise if that's your predator.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. HK_User

Even the Ranch Dogs have stayed clear of this site. I believe they may have meet their match. If the cows were not so well feed as shown by their full gut of grass then I could blame winter. I just wish I'd had my camera when I found one of the calves pulled up into a basket like affair along a ravine bank. All stuffed into a small pocket against the dirt on one side and old cedar poles on the other. Cats place kills this way to keep other predators from the kill. I have the pictures after the fact of the calves but mostly just rib cages. 24 hours and most kills are only a bone pile. This time the predator seems to be hanging around and having a buffet at our expense.

9. HK_User

All cattle accounted for this AM.

pearlselby, Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The trick to "Walking in the Woods, and Survive" is knowing what else lives in those woods, and how to deal with them, in their country. I routinely walk around my "Woods" unarmed, simply because I know what is living here, and how to deal with them, if I encounter them, while on my walk. I have Wolves, Yotes, Bears, Moose, Lynx, and a variety of small Critters that live here. It is just a matter of knowledge, and Skillsets.

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Unarmed? Methinks you ain't far from a powder propelled disencouraging device and if you aren't, your gears are slipping. Further, methinks you are too damn old to take that chance.

12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

other ways to kill off predators but could have collateral damage if you are not careful...

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Bears are asleep this time of year. Wolves do not eat people and mostly stay clear. Yotes the same. Lynx are night Cats and again stay clear of people. Moose, just keep a tree between yourself and the moose and you will be alright. Lived here for 30+ years! and never had an issue. I do carry, if I know a "Grumpy Animal" is around, but that is a fairly rare occasion.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  14. HK_User

Nothing except snakes sleep the winter away around here. Cougars hunting or guarding a kill will attack. Rabid skunks, cows or yotes are always a possibility. Once had a Bull jump the fence to get in my pasture, all our pastures are heavily wooded, and if any think that a big bull is not stealthy then they may be next on the kill site occupant list. That bull had the first warning shot at his feet and was about to meet his maker when he changed direction and was gone. Never did find out where he came from but there are several thousand acres around me. I never assume the place is safe.

15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I am amazed at the number of people who enter the wilderness thinking and prepared like they are taking a walk in the park!

stg58, Bear, Tully Mars and 1 other person like this.
  16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@BTPost , with your ankles, and you recent injuries, you would not be able to respond quickly to an unexpected "grumpy animal". When people get complacent, they become lunch. That concept of 2=1 and 1= none means you should have a backup even if you don't expect to need it.
    Speaking of backup plans, how are plans for teaching the generator swap out, in case of need, coming along? Have you figured a simple swap for you lady, in case you are not able to help?( like recently) maybe something color coded, and foolproof? (So she will not stress out about it)

tacmotusn likes this.
  17. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

We can thank TV for the "Disneyfication" of the wilderness among the uneducated.
    And when TSHTF and these city-bred 'survivalists' hit the Great Outdoors, they won't just take one of your cows for food, they will kill the entire herd just for fun...... :mad:
    I expect some of these fools will be 'piked' along the fenceline to warn the rest......

Georgia_Boy, Bear, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  18. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I would not go for a walk in the 'woods' without at least a walking stick/staff and a knife. Also teaching myself the habitats of certain wildlife to know where not to be.

Georgia_Boy, stg58, Bear and 2 others like this.
  19. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

LOL. Ever been to Yellowstone in the summer. Not wilderness, but GEEZ! How stupid people can be!

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ah, yes, Yellowstone in the summer. My ex MIL was (and remains) such a person. Saw a moose cow with calf and thought to go have a closer look (while I was cooling off the engine after a long climb uphill.) Just about reached the point where she would have invaded momma's personal space when momma took a couple rather quick steps toward MIL. Old MIL turned and put it in high gear just about in time to avoid a stomping. (Meantime, my ex and I were laffing our drawers off at the sight.)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7