Energy Solar Shed Lights

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by 3M-TA3, Jun 24, 2018.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm going to build an 8'x12' shed this summer to store yard equipment an a few other things. All I need electric wise are lights - I use my garage for power tools. I've been looking at the light kits on Amazon and eBay, but don't know which will hold up.

Does anybody have experience with any of these or recommendations?

Here are some of the kits I've looked at:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017X5ITPM/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5JCZT7/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WLQYPHD/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Seepalaces and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Seepalaces and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. Asia-Off-Grid

Seepalaces likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't by the cheap garbage.
    I bought an eaton solar motion detector light. I think it was $70 but it works great.
    I recommend doubling the battery capacity and unplugging one of the 2 lights, but I use mine a lot more than what the design inteded.

Seepalaces likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Busted - I added them a few minutes after the OP in order to help explain what I've been looking at.

Asia-Off-Grid and Seepalaces like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Most important in my eyes is the battery replacement , And I'd think if you could keep a larger Amp size battery charged , then buying replacement Li-ion , just a 14500 or a 18650 cell type.

Sloth

Seepalaces and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

What are the better brands in the Solar arena for cells, batteries, and lights? Maybe I'm better off picking and choosing components?

Seepalaces likes this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This is kind of intriguing:

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

8X12 shed for storage only , so light to see in winter only , I'm thinking .
    Can't see any power draw thats major .. If your talking 50-80 bucks wont touch a piece meal stuff bought separately.
    And then it'd just a small light !!
    Battery is the weakest part!!

Sloth

10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I have seen people use all sorts of batteries and Trojan batteries in pairs 6 volts each stand the test of time even deep cycle 12 volt trolling motor batteries don't seem to last as long if at sometime in the future you want to reconfigure additional batteries can be setup into 12, 24, 48 volt systems if you buy all sorts of batteries they cannot be integrated into another system because they have differing capacities and your charge controller is not built to handle a bunch of different capacities.

11. Asia-Off-Grid

When I first read the thread, I had considered suggesting a piecemeal system. However, it would cost considerably more to go that route.

IF you decide to go with similar system, I would suggest installing going with a large enough system that will charge battery powered tools, as well. Just a thought.

Cruisin Sloth and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I get harbor freight motion sensor lights $9. that run on 4AA batteries and use rechargeable's .A cheap 6 volt solar panel and diode is enough to maintain charge.
    Good enough to be using all around my house in side and out.
    Seeing I am on solar and using 6 volt deep cycle batteries for 12 volts and 6 volts through out the house , some of these motion sensor lights are on the 6 volt line . I count on the fact that they will die in a few years , (I use just any battery to hold the wires in place on the 2 necessary battery contacts) . I'm good with that .
    Ones that run on their own batteries live a little longer , probably calculated for 5 volts originally , figuring on the drop in voltage through usage . Been doing these better then 10 years .

Cruisin Sloth and 3M-TA3 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7