Some Mormons stocking up amid fears that doomsday could come this month

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Sep 13, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

I always wonder if things like this are started by vendors to increase sales.

////////////////////////////////////////////////

Some Mormons stocking up amid fears that doomsday could come this month | The Salt Lake Tribune

Mixing a brew of biblical prophecies, the Hebrew calendar, a volatile economy, world politics, a reported near-death experience and astronomical occurrences, hordes of Utahns have become convinced that calamitous events are imminent — maybe by month's end — and are taking every precaution.

They are called "preppers" and are buying up food-storage kits, flashlights, blankets and tents. Some are even bracing to leave their homes — if need be.

At American Fork's Thrive Life, which sells mostly freeze-dried food, sales have shot up by "500 percent or more in the past couple of months," says customer- service representative Ricardo Aranda. "There is a sense of urgency, like something is up. A lot of people are mentioning things about September, like a financial collapse."

Marck, Tully Mars, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

No doubt in my mind. Works every time.

3. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Mormons have been warned, by their Prophets, for over a hundred Years, to be prepared, to be as self sufficient as possible, to have a "Years Supply", to read their Scriptures, and be aware of " The Signs of the Times"... Many are, and many more are Not, and just NOW, are getting nervous, about being considered " Slackers" because they were lulled into the SHEEPLE Attitude, by their perceived Good Lives. If you are interested in what " The Mormons". Think about what it going on in the World, all you need to do is listen to the churches, General Conference, coming up, the first Weekend in October.... The Leaders will tell the World, what they believe, and explain Just WHY, they believe what they are saying.... If you listen, you can decide for yourself..... If not, then you have made your decision...

Tully Mars, HK_User, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

When I saw this not so discrete quote, it made me think I was reading a cute ad copy that someone had developed.... like you said, to sell stuff. Keep them worried.... and they will keep buying. ;)
    On that note, I have some shopping to do tomorrow. :)

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++ Site Supporter++

Well said @BTPost and I doubt any ad agency has enough talent and media clout to sell a bill of goods such as the threats, foreign and domestic, we are facing today. It's not a matter of if, just when. This country is going to hell and we are still a long way from the bottom. I am not Mormon but I do admire there prepardness teachings and their willingness to help even non Mormons prep.

Marck, Tracy, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  6. KAS

KAS Monkey++

are the Mormons the religion that believes in the secrent hand shake to get into heaven ?

7. BTPost

Don't forget the Magic Underwear..... And the Small horns on their Heads.....

8. KAS

KAS Monkey++

wooo this just got interesting

Marck and chelloveck like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

No, He will not sell you any magic underwear.......:lol:

KAS likes this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

And next month, It will be "We meant next year..". No one will know.

KAS, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

IMO the title of the article is misleading. It is not the Mormons that are stocking up, it is the public ordering from a food company that specializes in dried foods. I order from them and I am not a Mormon. Yes, one Mormon in the article wrote a book that cried doom but I just think the person who wrote the article could have been a little deeper in her reporting. Bottom-line, people are not feeling secure about the state of things, thus and up-tick in people putting food aside.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Tully Mars, stg58, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  12. HK_User

Problem is, if you're just part of the herd then you can expect to be trampled.
    If you're the leader of the herd then you can expect to be run over if you make a misstep.

The ideal is to be way ahead and not part of anything except taking care of you and yours.

IF you find yourself in the middle of the present rush then you are behind the curve.

13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Man oh man....This article and the behaviour of the people that it describes as "preppers", is yet another "end times" panic.

When people are making decisions on irrational "Signs" of end times, I think of Harold Camping. Harold Camping - RationalWiki . At least the purchasers of survival supplies and equipment will have the items that they bought in their possession once the panic is over. More than can be said about Camping's parishioners whom Camping convinced that FRNS were not needed in heaven (and probably would burn in hell with the wicked anyway ;) )

14. BTPost

True enough Chell.... ANYONE who says he KNOWS, when the End Times will Start, or Come, is an Out and Out FRAUD..... and we should steer clear away, from such Folks..... If one believes in the Bible, It is stated in there, ParaPhrase... "No Man Knows when the End times come, Not even the Angels in Heaven, know when that will happen..." and really what difference does it make, to any individual.... If you are Prepared, you are OK, and if you outlive the End, and have taught your children Well, they will use your Preps, to enhance their own, and will be Prepared, and your will not care, as you will be in One of Two situations. Either, there is an AfterLife or there isn't. So you will either be DEAD, and that is IT, or you will meet Your Maker, and hope for the Best, but you will not CARE, about Preps any longer.... but you WILL Know the Truth, about the AfterLife....

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

I do believe that Harold Camping is a fraud. But to my knowledge the Bible has many writing on the signs of the second coming. I personally will always listen if someone says that they are seeing the signs that the end is near.

16. HK_User

The time of Prophets is past also paraphrasing the Bible.

17. T. Riley

Do you have to be a prophet to read the handwriting on the wall? " A prudent man foresees the evil, and hides himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished." I would rather be wrong 100 times than be caught unprepared once. We are not talking about the end of the world, but maybe our time in it.

GOG, Tully Mars, Tracy and 3 others like this.
  18. HK_User

I think you might have misunderstood my post.

That being that those who do play the part of a prophet are always going to be wrong since that time is past as stated in the Bible.

1. Harold Camping proclaimed the Lord's return would be in 1994!
    2. Harold Camping now proclaims the Lord's return will be on May 21, 2011!
    3. Harold Camping teaches that the world will end in fiery destruction on October 21, 2011!

Ganado likes this.
  19. T. Riley

I did not, and I agree with you. What I fear we have coming may surely feel like the end times. Yet they could still be a thousand years away. I intend to live through them regardless of what is on the other side.

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. T. Riley

i just checked the Mormon Online Store (store.lds.org). 72% of the food storage items they sell (13 of 18) are listed as "out of stock" so I think it's safe to assume the Mormons are buying.

oldawg and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7