Some shooting glasses made for poor eyes

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Aug 23, 2016.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

If I read it correctly the ones along the bottom have the bifocal on the TOP of the lens... a reverse kinda setup it seems...

Tactical Eyewear – SSP Eyewear

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My father had a set of trifocals with near vision at the top. Made life easier when working on ceilings. Grinds are available in just about any configuration you might want, including snugging down behind a scope.

Sgt Nambu, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I wear perscription progressive bifocals for astigmatism

I take my Glock to the eye Dr office remove the barrel, draw and aim several times aiming at a car lic plate in the parking lot.

She stands in front of me, I have the plate in focus in the center of the lens, then tilt my head up "just a fraction of an inch, and look at the front site.

At this point she sights backwards across the front site, levels the rear site, and then marks the lens indicating the upper part of the bifocal.

Transfer this measurement to the other lens and send the script to the lab.

Now tilting my head a fraction of an inch up and the front site is in focus, down the same fratcion and the target and anything in the distance is in focus.

I run Rudy Project Rydons with ImpactX photomatic Brown that are Polarized so used for day time, shooting amd fishing.

Sgt Nambu, Ganado and Bandit99 like this.
  4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I should add the this technique puts the top of the bifocal high up in the lens. When wearing for normal activities I slip the glasses down my nose a little so I have unobstructed far vision

Its a compromise but at $600+ for this setup, I cant afford more than one pair.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I had my Second set of Glasses, ground with a High Bifocal Line, for computer work.... My main Computer (27" iMac 4K) has a second 27" monitor just above the computer.... Having a High Bifocal Line, really helps keeping the second Monitor in focus, without all the Keck strain of moving my head, each time I need to look at a CADD Menu on the upper Monitor... My regular Pair have a much lower Bifocal Line, because I rarely need to read things close when outside doing outside Stuff... But it is there if I need it...

AD1 likes this.
  6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I have a set of these from CostCo sitting next to......actually they are on my face as I type.

Good for reading the 30 inch Mac monitor(Alienware box w10) and paper in front of me.

They just remove the distance part of the prescription so the whole upper part of the lens is just a little over arms length focus.

7. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

You must have seen the "Into the Fray" video link from USCCA ;)

8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Many older welders (yup I are one) do the same instead of installing cheaters in their hood. Works better once a person gets used to it.

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I had a set of WILY-X shooting/tactical glasses made specifically for me to help with finding my pistols sights with both eyes open! I was always having problems finding the rear sight untill I had these fitted! These have no prescription for Line of sight, but have a lineless by-focal for the lower ( sort of like reading glasses ) and this has solved my problems! Bonus is they really help with other tasks especially the reloading bench!

Sgt Nambu and Tully Mars like this.
  10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

^^^^Sounds much like my new Oakley's shades. I generally use the distance grind at the top, but if needs be the slightest tilt back of my head and I'm across the invisible line and the sights are both in focus! Lower my head (tilt down) and the target is in sharp focus, but the sights stay on point and it just jells into a great sight picture!
    Wow, I'm old and tired and didn't express that very well, hopefully you'll get the picture! :)

Tully Mars, AD1 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

You gentlemen may have solved a perplexing problem I have had since I started wearing glass's. Working on stuff while bent over.. My glass's slip off my nose and I can not focus on the small bits I am working on..

Sgt Nambu likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7