SSI and VA recipients: Have a child but don’t file a tax return?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by techsar, Apr 24, 2020.

1. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Wife brought this to my attention. I thought there might be some here that could benefit if they knew to act in a timely manner (May 5, 2020 cutoff):

This is cut from one of my IRS e-letters

SSI and VA recipients: Have a child but don’t file a tax return? Visit IRS.gov now

SSI and VA recipients who have children and who weren’t required file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 should visit the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool on IRS.gov. By quickly taking steps to enter information on the IRS website about them and their qualifying children, they can receive the $500 per dependent child payment automatically in addition to their $1,200 individual payment. Otherwise, their payment at this time will be $1,200 and, by law, the additional $500 per eligible child amount would be paid in association with a return filing for tax year 2020.

SSI and VA recipients who receive Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefit payments should receive their automatic payments by mid-May. If they have children and aren’t required to file a tax return, both groups are urged to use the Non-Filers tool as soon as possible before the May 5 deadline. Once the deadline passes and processing begins on the $1,200 payment, they will not be eligible to use the Non-Filers tool to add eligible children. Their payment will be $1,200 and, by law, the additional $500 per eligible child amount would be paid in association with a return filing for tax year 2020.

Thunder5Ranch, Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7