1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

chelloveck and DKR like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

fun to watch as well. Almost magic.

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I live with 7 of them and repair them all the time .
    Max temp is 500 F is what the can handle 'READ the specs
    Sloth

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG

4. hot diggity

Great looking bunch of fans there.

Stirling fans are reported safe to operate up to 950 degrees. I need to look into both types, just for fun. Making heat is easy. Moving it sideways is more challenging.

5. DKR

There are stack robbers...

[​IMG]
    this one runs on 12 vdc.

6. hot diggity

I've known of Stirling engines since I was a kid, but these newer solid state devices are interesting to me. It's not getting anything for nothing, but it is making off-grid power from fire.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

During WWII, the Norwegian Resistants were supplied with Clandestine Radio Sets that were powered by Stovetop Peltier Junction Power supplies... Very effective, on Wood heated cabins in the interior of the country...

hot diggity likes this.
  8. hot diggity

This is a Stirling powered fan that Dad made out of scraps in the shop. I blew 20+ years of dust off of it and it still runs just fine. It sat on his desk in the museum and was just a curiosity to entertain visitors.

Stirling dust.
    Fired right up. Let's see you do that with your battery powered plastic gizmo in 20 years. Stirling fan.

techsar, Cruisin Sloth and SB21 like this.
  9. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

I've had mine for a couple of years but managed to mostly kill the peltier module with too hot of a fire this winter. It runs at about 10% of what it formerly did. When I buy another one I'll be careful to put it near the back or edges of the stove rather than the middle.

10. DKR

I've serviced TEG - ThermoElecticGenerators on remote LMR/SMR radio sites.

They run using a propane pilot light to produce heat. Not terribly efficient, but with no moving parts, rarely pose an issue.

Backgrounder - Info on Thermoelectric Generator Modules, TEG Modules and TEG Power Thermoelectric Generators

PlaySkool level video on TEGs -

Pieltier junctions - heat one side, cool the other = electricity
    add electric, one side get hot, the other cold = Very poor efficiency fridge.

Then there are Rackine cycle generators.- for another day/thread.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have. 240 Watt TEG that was 6 months old when I got it... I got it for helping a buddy remove it from a USCG Remote Mtn Top Radio Site as they had decided to go with Diesel Gensets.. There was a Snowslide at the site 6 months before and took out the whole Power System, so it was only 6 months old.. It has the complete Remote Start/StopKit insta lled and burns only a Gallon of Propane in 24 hours.. That makes 240 Watts X 24 Hours makes 5760 WattHours for just one USG of fuel.. Plus I can heat the Genshed using the Hot Side Air, which is sent to the atmosphere... Nice unit considering the price was right.. Just one days work, and a couple of Helo rides...

Dont and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7