Summertime Projects 2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well I undertook another carpentry project. I decided to rebuild my back porch and it is now getting close to being completed. Tore the thing down to the framing and tightened everything up, once I verified I had no issues. Stained the 6-inch cedar planks and installed them. The railing was modified and the installation went well. It is firm and will work well for years of use. I still have to add the down railing, finish a little trim work and the side panel skirting.

20180624_120355.
    20180624_163319.

20180625_180702.

20180708_193300.
    *** What kind of projects are you working on around the homestead?

GrayGhost, 3M-TA3, Motomom34 and 9 others like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[applaud] [applaud]

techsar and Yard Dart like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Tomorrow starts the installation of a single zone mini split ac followed by a three zone with ceiling cassettes.

NOT looking forward to being in the attic for the cassettes, but it should only be in the mid-hundreds lol.

4. Yard Dart

That does not sound fun at all. Those kind of projects need to happen when it is colder!!

5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[ditto] what YD said

Gator 45/70 and techsar like this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Hot tub for the wife .. and a grape arbor surround.
    ht1.
    Ok .. it's not a hot tub but more of a redneck Japanese soaking tub .. but heck the stock tank was on clearance.

GrayGhost, oldawg, john316 and 8 others like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm in the middle of a whole house remodel . It's slow going with having been so busy working the last few years , and not really much of a slow down in site . When I have the money , I don't have the time , when I have the time , I don't have the money . But I'm getting ready to try and make a point to get it in shape , I think I'm fixing to go thru those knee replacements like Tac has , so I don't need to be tripping over stuff .
    BTW , I like your choice of the cedar on those steps , looks great . Were those 4x6's for the outside bands ? Is the framing cedar as well ? Kind of hard to tell in the pic..

8. Yard Dart

Thank you SB!! The framing is pressure treated 2X6 and the outer edge on top has a 4X4 PT for extra strength on the edge attached to the 2X6. The support post are 4X4 PT as well anchored in concrete sono-tubes.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have so many and no back much left to do them with, Priorities,priorities

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, YD, I am glad the wife isn't around when I was reading this and looking at your lovely work. I'm the guy that can't saw a straight line and between you and @TnAndy, you two, put us all to shame - well - certainly me. LOL! Nice job! It looks great...wish I could do something even close to this...grumble, grumble...

Oh! Summertime projects? Yeah, I cut down trees, then limb them, then pack up the limbs carrying them to a hole where I burn them, then cut tree into firewood rounds, stack them, then split them, then stack them again...then repeat.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  11. duane

duane Monkey+++

All the projects look great. Seems like so many things in prepping and in life are limited by time, money, and skill, and it is often difficult to prioritize your project to fit your limitations. I find doing it myself give me a lot of pleasure and a lot more bang for my buck, but I wouldn't go in my attic this week as it is in the 80's and 90's outside.

12. Alf60

Alf60 Monkey+++

That looks great, nice job YD.
    I think I'm fixin to rebuild our master bath. I've got to rip out a tub and tile. Momma wants to put in a walk in shower. While I'm at it replace the hocky locker and all. She wants a double basin sink too.

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

You have done well young Padawan:D
    Very clean and professional work. What are you using for the skirting?
    As far as here goes I'm in the middle of finishing the remodel of the guest room. Sass has informed me that there will be no further defense budget approvals until there is a new back deck incorporating the hot tub and a swimming pool.
    I am currently drafting up the plans for the back deck...

14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Here’s one of many. You did a good job YD. Murica! 38E919D3-3829-4D01-94D3-735C86E10D65.

15. john316

john316 Monkey+++

we really love our walk in shower,5x8 ,no curb,no door,entrance wide enought for a wheel chair if ever needed,dropped the floor a bit

16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Put in two showerheads-trust me on this;)

3M-TA3, GrayGhost, Alf60 and 4 others like this.
  17. john316

john316 Monkey+++

2 are nice if you have enough water 2 run 2

Tully Mars, Alf60 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The single zone is in...and fantastic. Hard to hear inside or outside unit running...and dropped from 10 amps at 120volts to 2 amps @ 220. Distribution of cold air is better, at a lower velocity.
    Wife can't wait for the next one to be done.

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  19. Yard Dart

Finally completed the railing.......

20180725_064953.

20180725_065020.
    20180725_065034.

VisuTrac, 3M-TA3, GrayGhost and 2 others like this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Excellent job @Yard Dart that looks really nice and will last for years. Your helper is so cute. That dog always looks so serious.

1. Yard Dart
  2. john316
  3. DKR
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid