Super Score, today... and maybe More down the Road....

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, Apr 19, 2019.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Today, my neighbor showed up at 10Am, to finish deconstruction the Beach Cabin, for AlaskaChick & I... He pulled out Five, Dual Pane Windows, the SquareD Breaker Panel, the Wood Stove Roof Jack, and all the 120Vac outlets & Light Fixtures, and brought them back here, for transport up to the New Place... Then he announced that he had brought us a Trace Inverter, that he was given by another neighbor that had upgraded his Powerhouse with a NEW Outback System, and New twin Diesel Gensets... Since he had No Use for such a Big Inverter, he decided to “Pat ir Forward” to me...
    The inverter is a Trace SW5548 SineWave that was operational when removed... So now I have two Trace 48Vdc Inverters to use when we upgrade the Powerhouse, up there this summer...
    I have a Trace SW4048 that I have had in storage for 10 Years... It had a rebuilt Main PC Board installed just before I put it in storage, but was never tested as a System... Now with the Trace SW5548 Inverter, I will have a Main and “Hot Standby”. Backup Inverter once I get the UpGrade done... Both will run off the same 48Vdc L16HD 400AHour Battery Bank, and then feed the Load Side Main Breaker Panel.... I will feed them both from the Genset Breaker Panel, that will select which Genset is powering, the Inverters... These Inverters have built-in Transfer Switches, as well as Three Stage Battery Chargers... Then I need to only buy one Manual Transfer Switch for the whole Power System, one that selects between the Inverter Outputs or a Bypass Breaker in the Genset Breaker Panel,that allows the Genset Power to power the Load Side Breaker Panel, Directly...

Now the cool thing is the original Owner neighbor still has the twoCyl Water Cooled Lister Diesel 7Kw Genset that ran this Inverter, and it is surplus to his needs, now that his new Gensets are operational... So we have a plan to get that Lister down here in my Powerhouse as a Backup for the for the 12Kw China Diesel Genset that is 90% Complete... which would give me the 2.5Kw 1200 RPM Fairanks-Morse, the 7Kw 1800 RPM Lister, and the 12Kw China Diesel, all Liquid Cooled, and setup for Cooling CoGeneration, to recover the Cooling System BTUs for use in Water Heating in the Laundry/Washing/Sauna House... Or maybe with an appropriate Double Walled PexTube runs, bring those BTUs to the Cabins for backup Heating.. All these runs would be less that 50 Ft in length, an could be pumped via simple 12 Vdc Diaphragm Pumps, that we already have... No use wasting those Cooling BTUs trying to heat the Alaska Outdoors....

Been thinking about what to use the Woodstove from the old Cabin for, along with it’s Metal-Bestuss Chimney and Roof Jack... I am thinking that I could install it in the Garage, and it could be used to heat it, during the winters, if I needed to work on the Kubota Tractor, or other Rig, out of the weather... (Rain & Snow) I will be running a 120 Vac Power-feed up to it, for lighting and Shop Tools... The Garage with wood heat could also be considered a Emergency Backup Living Space if there was a need, and we lost one or both of the Cabins in a Disaster, like a fire or sum such...

Lots of possibilities, with all this new found, and purchased, stuff...

Alf60, GOG, Witch Doctor 01 and 16 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good score. Any realistic chance to run jacket heat to the garage? Easier than chucking lumps of former trees into the wood stove.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. BTPost

Yes, but it would be after the Cabins get plumbed for CoGeneration Heat... Living Spaces would come after the Shower/Washing/Sauna House , and then the garage maybe... Since I do have a Backhoe, on the Tractor, I can bury the Double Wall PexTube, easily, to make it work... And since it is a Heat Source I don’t have to go down more than a foot in the ground... even for winter operation, and any heat lost will just melt the snow above the buried Tubing, which would be buried in the Diveway...

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

You certainly have some good karma flowing your way! Hope all goes together well. Darned shame they aren't a matched pair so you could stack them.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. BTPost

I wonder about that... @Cruisin Sloth might know... Since they are BOTH Trace Inverters, and run the EXACT SAME FIRMWARE, and have the exact same Stacking Ports, it just may be possible, should I ever need 240Vac for some reason... But I like the idea of a “Hot Standby” Setup, cause you just never know what might happen... “Two is one, and One is none” has always been the Watchword around here... Backups for Backups....

Altoidfishfins, Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Your limited to the lower Inverter .
    I'm to have a chat with the creator this weekend ,pm me the serials .
    WAS just down in Arlington WA(not solar) Fling wing .

I can send the db cable interface for stack 220V single~ 60 hz .

3 Phase (3 inverters ) is a trick on timing , you just can't turn on with loads .,
    EDIT ADD
    Like you can with a 220Vac single ~ and the second (slave ) comes on line , Via search .
    After you may shut off , but in search , 100W max draw @48V draw for 25+ hrs

S
    Sloth

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. BTPost

Cool, Thanks.... @Cruisin Sloth I figured on that limitation... It makes sense, that there would be 4Kw @ 240Vac is way more that I would ever need, from a Battery System...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

I have a bad case of Lister envy. Don't own one, but the few contacts I have had with them were impressive. Love old slow speed diesels, seen them and proper gens run for generations, not hours. Good on you.(y)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Same here would love to get my paws on an air cooled Lister gen set or just a Lister for mech power, so many devices you can run off them.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Air cooled Lister for the curious
    [​IMG]

a classic Lister

not to be confused with a hit and miss engine

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  11. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

finding those is problematic at best and often expensive... used to could buy small ones that ran and ran... now?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. BTPost

Thank your Federal EPA for that nice little tidbit of Regulation.... No more slow speed Listers, or Lister Clones, can be imported

3cyl, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. BTPost

New Information on the Lister Diesel Genset, that I just bought, that is 5 miles up the Inlet... Turns out it is a 4Cyl Liquid Cooled 12 Kw Genset... AND I know it’s pedigree... (History). It is a ReTIRED Alascom Remote High Site Genset... It was removed when they added a Cellular to this Mountain Top Site about 5 years back, and that pushed the load to 15Kw, so they replaced both Gensets for bigger units.. It then sat in an Employees Garage, for a year, and I was going to buy it but someone beat me to it... That fellow used it at his cabin, along with New Trace SW5548... Then he died, and his relatives sold the whole System to the fellow who has the Cabin 5 miles from me,... and he installed it two years ago... then last fall he wanted smaller units so he installed a couple of NEW 6Kw Perkins Gensets, and a complete Outback Inverter System, so this became Surplus to his needs... This Genset has 160,000 Operational Hours on it, and was just InFrame ReBuilt two months before it was reTired from Alascom... at the 40,000 Hour InFrame Rebuild roatation... It will get barged down here on the High Tide,in May or June, and I got it for.... Wait for it.... $800.00 US... This is a bit larger than I really need, but it will do just fine, or maybe I will resell it and then buy something New... We will see how this plays out, but It is a GREAT SCORE.... and the DEAL IS FULLY COOKED...

GOG, oldawg, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

800 is the deal
    Now can you load it to 50% most cycles as in charging back from the trace stacked system , If you have master and slave at different wattage , balance out the charge push back gen set is loaded @ 50% from both if it is a 240 split 60 Single phase .
    run droop at 2% gen and raise voltage to 124Vac or 248Vac and let the lister have an ez load . You will hear a grunt when a 240 table saw / deep well comes on line , Lister will grab it on 2% droop .
    Sloth

techsar and oldman11 like this.
  15. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Excellent BT!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7