TOTM for November '14 Getting ready for winter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Oct 30, 2014.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

November '14 topic is-
    Getting ready for winter.

Things to think about-
    Heat - Backup for the primary source of heat? Wood harvesting, where and how?
    Food -What's in your pantry, what more do you need to store? Meds?
    Water - Storage in liquid or ice form?
    Outdoor safety - Equipment and clothing you have or need/want? What do you take along for walkabout?

You southern and island folks don't have the same levels of concern, but you still have to consider the climate. Don't hesitate to mention what you need to do for the changed conditions.

Opened for posts a day early --

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

The last few weeks I have been working on cutting long poles left out by a logger and getting them down to the house before the snow hit up that high.. The snow is there now so time to buck it all up to stove size and get it stacked under cover.. Getting ready for winter takes up a lot of time and there is the reason I have not been around..Oh, and hunting... This next week will be spent cleaning the stove pipe and filling the water cystern... And hunting... Oh.. And cleaning up around the yard putting all those yard tools, ladders and such that get set aside and you will be wondering where the heck it is when there are several feet of snow on it... And hunting...

Can not emphasize it enough, CLEAN that stove pipe!!! My brother lost his house to a chimney fire.. Loggers can be a good source of wood as long as you don't spread their burn piles all over.. Talk to them when they come into your area and they may set a pile of "junk" wood to the side for you.. The logger I tapped this year lives close by and he stacked wood so I just had to back the truck up to it.. Be sure to ask which piles are safe to cut from and don't take it personal if the wood piles are not convienant for you. They set things up to be efficient for them..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I probably need to break out my windbreaker in the next month or so. Oh yeah, and make sure I have propane for the grill.

Finster likes this.
  4. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I stock up on propane, check my portable heaters to make sure they work. Will get a cord of wood for my folks place. Broke out all my wool items and winter work clothes. i have empty sand bags i leave in the truck ready to fill, and the chains are ready to go. Where i live the temps range drastically it is just as common to have 70 degrees as it is 7 degrees. Several years ago a major portion of NM lost all its gas service and if you did not have electric heaters you were in trouble, some places did not have gas service for up to 10 days. So i also have a handful of electric heaters ready to go. My truck kit changes, i add food and more blankets behind the seat. I keep a little buddy heater in the back inside my truck shell with two small bottle of propane.

Dunerunner, kellory and GOG like this.
  5. ghrit

So far this last week:
    -Inventoried the freezer, need to lay in some meats (BACON!!)
    -Inventoried the canned goods, need to start rotating stock and replenish
    -Test fired the wood stove, dried out the chimney
    -Cleaned and lubed a gun recovered from the lake, ready for use
    -Prepped the grill for winter (cleaned) storage (It's on the deck that has no weather protection, so it doesn't get used in snow)
    -Test fired the gas log
    -Inventoried the first aid and medical closet, good to go

To do:
    -Restock the ready wood rick in the basement (dose it with Black Flag) also the one at the basement entrance, then inventory the wood pile behind the shed (I think it's lower than I'd like.)
    -Dismount the tractor mower deck and mount the snow blower
    -Put the winter GHB in the pickup (already did the maintenance checks, got new brake pucks installed)
    -The bike didn't sell, so that has to be put into its storage location after the mower deck is stored behind it
    -Move the ice and snow tools from the shed to the basement garage to avoid wading thru the white stuff to get them
    -Caulk a leaky roof seam on the trailer
    -Shake out the winter wear
    -Check the smoke alarm and thermostat batteries
    -Eyeball the roof shingles with binocs for damage (Only the second year since installed, but --)
    -Test fire the gennie again, before Turkey Day
    -Seal the windows that were unlocked for summer use
    -Store the window fans
    -Rotate tractor (and gennie) fuel cans, ongoing (the Kawasaki engine is unfussy, but still, put the old in the pickup and refill with fresh--)
    -Inventory the bailout box in the shed, make sure there's stuff in it to cover a need if I have to abandon the house mid winter (clothes etc for after going out a bedroom window naked at oh-dark-thirty)
    -Get another gun out of the lake before it ices up (if I can find another one)
    -Test fire the basement heater to be sure it works and will prevent pipes from freezing (plus, I hate working on projects with frozen fingers)
    -Inspect the ham antenna and coax

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Not as prepped as I need to be. This thread is a good kick in the pants!!

Finster and ghrit like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We lost power due to heavy wind and rain, last weekend, twice in one day for several hours each time. It gave us a good chance to to run through our power outage process and to ensure everything needed was accessible easily and working. The generator received some exercise for a bit which also allowed me to burn off some of the older fuel and put in fresh gas. Our emergency lighting was also put into use for a couple hours at night.

Fortunately the power was back on for a couple of hours late afternoon, just for dinner time. I did not have to use the grill, but it was heated up and ready to go so I could cook that way if needed. I still need to pull down the regular camp stove and inspect it, as it has not been used in a bit. I purchased a bunch more fuel for that stove, so we are in good shape, cooking wise. This winter we are replacing the electric oven and installing a NG unit... planned to do it this summer but never had the time/budget to make that happen.

8. Dont

And Dont is still working through the pile of wood with the saw and stacking it between the rain.. OH!! And if one keeps the saw chain out of the dirt one is not obliged to sharpen it as frequently...

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

ghrit said the magic word, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACON! :)

Finster likes this.
  10. ghrit

:lol: Yeah, forgot to add that the camp stoves need to be shook out and tested or the bacon will be raw. (I'm a carnivore, but there are limits---)

With a nod to YD for the reminder.

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. The Rangers

The Rangers Monkey

Gettin' stuff covered, preppin' vehicles (like my bike), running generators, hoping the weather breaks and it dries out just one more time before winter sets in. Got a lot of my list knocked down, but it never ends.
    29 degrees today and it was great.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Mowed the yard one last time until next year :)
    We have been so wet over the last month that I did not have an opportunity until yesterday.... nice 50 degree day.. This morning we had a nice frost at 26 degrees.

13. Dont

Still working on the wood pile and dealing with broken chain saws.. It pays to have two on hand!

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Two is One, and One is None..........

Motomom34 and Mountainman like this.
  15. The Rangers

The Rangers Monkey

I'm going to take a break and head to town to gather used pallets. Need some small project materials and wood for the drum stove out in the shop. Now if I can just come up with something else to justify the 70 mile round trip. Mylar bags and brown sugar. There, that's enough. I'm out of here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
    Motomom34 likes this.
  16. Dont

Just glad I had picked up another saw this past winter.. 50 bucks worth of work on a used saw that I paid 75 for and it's earning it's keep... Replacing a mounting stud for the bar on the other saw.. Hint, don't cross thread the nut .. Cheep fix as long as you can get the stud backed out..

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Thunder5Ranch
  4. Meat
  5. TinyDreams
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Modus Operandi
  8. DKR
  9. Motomom34
  10. john316
  11. oldman11
  12. Motomom34