Survivalist ; better off alone?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Krefish, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Krefish

Krefish Neophyte Monkey

Im pretty sure I have no idea where u guys stand being on a social network here, but I can say a little my perspective. Im 36 and hate people. Not literally, but I hate being scared and nothing does that for me more than needing to retreat from either my solo camp and/or house where the blinds drawn 24/7. Ya, already declared disabled for having severe social skills, and depression, manic bipolar, insomnia. Ya its true, but funny thing is, everything goes away out at camp. Besides insomnia, just love the sunrises! The last place I went was to my own best purchase in the new Mexico foothills. Winds were terrible, but not anymore. And I know now what to do, every hour for the first week, and that's where I know god wants me and saved me to do so.

reighn_deny_him.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Survivalist ; better off alone?
    You can answer this question by knowing what was considered the worst that could happen to an individual in a tribe.

That would be banished from the tribe to live alone and die alone, shortly after being driven out of the tribe.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Yep...expulsion.
    Though outcasts often enough survived by joining a stronger tribe....as injun scouts. No getting away from belonging to some tribe or another...in order to survive.

In benign times it will be hard enough...in PAW WROL times...even the bad guys wiĺl be seeking the collective protection of gangs. Solo survivors will simply be considered prey.

Witch Doctor 01, oldawg and Yard Dart like this.
  4. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

You can't watch your back by yourself, and you can't attack from the flank by yourself, but you can die alone.

Rancher (I'm writing a book of Rancher sayings)

5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Living a life of continual escape and evasion is possible, but it would be a pretty squalid impoverished existence. Some Japanese soldiers managed to do that for decades after WW2, but they were in generally poor health, and under nourished.

Witch Doctor 01 and snake6264 like this.
  6. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Not having someone to pull security when you are doing any number of other tasks...not to forget , you gotta sleep sometime...seems like a bad deal.

When I was in the Army in various LRRP / LRSD teams....we worked in 4-6 man teams when inserted into enemy territory...
    4-6 is good number of folks to have around to help share the work or get you out of trouble.
    Andy

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

For most being in a small group would be the best. People one trusts and can rely on would be the safest. @Krefish you said you hate people and at times need to retreat for a while. That cannot happen if you are part of a group. The group would depend on you and there is not a lot of downtime post SHTF.
    What? what happened to the winds? did you plant trees?

chelloveck likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I understand it .
    At certain points in our lifetime the stress of responsibility to others seem to be more than one can tolerate.
    Frustrated with stupidity/ignorance there are some I avoid, but I have to remember that there but for the mercy of God go I, and He put's up with me .
    Though I do not have the power to change people ,neither should I compromise to their insanity. However, .
    If my standard is worth any thing, I can stick by it and be an example to others that need proof of something better ,something that works .
    I am a Christian unlike many I know ,my devotion is to walk in Jesus Lordship not my own or that of men or the abuse of scriptures men use. This puts me at odds with those immersed in Paul's teaching . Not that all Paul says is wrong but he knew the source and knew to direct believers to that source , but he fell to the temptation to circumvent God's design.
    Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to be the believers teacher , but in eagerness to make converts some are convinced theoretically but had no relationship spiritually . With out a relationship spiritually people were depending on men for instruction from God ,but it was not His design after what Jesus came to provide .
    There are others that know this but they can't share it, fearful of the repercussion .
    Constantine did not understand this and made things worse and so did many others.

Point is I am patient with people that cannot understand this, and hope that if they genuinely are seeking after God's will they learn this truth .
    This is my own frustration with people, yours may be different but patience still works the same .
    Again I agree getting away ,escapism gives one the opportunity to recharge and recover some sanity, but if you've got some good moral values you behave, others need to see a good example a successful example, and that is how you can make a difference the world.

apache235 and john316 like this.
  9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Unless you have the skills to make everything you will need, you're not going to last long on your own. And as others have mentioned, you have to sleep sometime!

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Good luck in your solitary choice. If being solo is your only option then it is what it is. I'm a "rebuild civilization and be a warlord" kinda guy but I recognize your stance.

I would endeavor to get as much hands on training as possible in real organized classes. You'll have to suck it up because other people will be there, but just for the length of the training. Your choice doesn't allow helpers when sick or injured so I would focus heavily on medical treatment of illness or injury. Enough for you not to have to look in a book (that's probably not with you) when trouble raises it's head.

Study and practice meditation and fasting to help you cling to your scripture when the devil comes a-knocking. He's been poking and whispering to people alone in the wilderness for millennia.

Edit: When the time comes to leave this world you fit so poorly in: go easy because He is with you and taking you home. If I've already been blown kicking and screaming from this world maybe we can visit.

Go with God's blessing and stay in touch.

apache235, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Krefish, some want to be TOP DOG of a group,
    others want to be a LAP DOG ,
    some live in fear of being put out of the group,
    or
    some do not like groups
    i like to be the only dog in the group
    i have 2 buds, they have no guns,no food, they will come when called
    i am working on being a GRAY MAN,
    i have never been a team player
    i take that back,i was a team player in Vietnam, twice,we did good,second place
    ANYWAY
    a single man group must be a GRAY MAN
    98.4 PER CENT OF all single man groups are never heard from
    74.8 per cent of all rapes are never reported
    67.3 per cent of all MASS SHOOTINGS are stopped by a single man group before any one is shot
    NOT very much known about ANY of the 3 groups
    SO, GRAY MAN,might be the way to go.....................if you are not a people person
    i am not a people person

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  12. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

My opinion, Living afraid and alone doesn't sound like much of a life. And I'm not a big people person. It's good to know your neighbors and look out for each other. I know, Reaching out and meeting new people isn't easy.

13. MtMoriah

MtMoriah Monkey

I think being alone allows one the greatest options in life. With a group of men you automatically become a target because you are large and have plenty of supplies such as food, weapons, homes, family, etc available. However living in the remote mountains alone means there is little to be gained for anyone to seek you out and take you out. In fact you can turn the tables by walking long distances to raid them and the come back to your base or another place for a short time.

14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Everyone needs to decide what's right for them based on their personality, skill set, and physical condition. Another factor is the cause of the SHTF scenario. Some may be more conducive to groups of different sizes and others may be more conducive to going it alone. Even if you plan on a group you need to realize that one or more members may not be able to participate for a variety of reasons including death. It's a good idea to have several contingency plans.

chelloveck and HK_User like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The problem I see going rogue is post SHTF if you have an injury who is going to trust you ?
    It will be accurately assumed that you are a raider, your deceptions for humanity will not likely be awarded, likely because there will already be a flood of people living that way, that those in groups do not trust.
    Let's talk about food and the woods,
    Assuming your going to find enough game to survive on post SHTF is ignoring the facts, During the 1929 crash almost all species of animals were decimated , some deer species had gone extinct .
    The current population is now significantly larger which means more people to share what's left with,( which is a fraction of what it was 100 years ago) ,and believe me there are a lot of folks that think they will survive in the woods that have never actually done it .
    I got a gun I can hunt .. Hunt what ?
    There are people that are very protective about their hunting area now , and be assured they will keep others out of it at all cost post SHTF.

16. Read Niven/Pournell's book, "Lucifer's Hammer" . Read "The Enemy at the Gate". Nazi/ Soviet battle for Stalingrad. Low hanging fruit went first. Then they started moving up the food chain.

Zimmy and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

MtMoriah, it might be better with the way you think for you to be by yourself. I know there would be no place for you in my group,we all think alike and work together for the best of the group. We could not trust anyone with your thinking to have the best interest for the rest. You might just all at once just takeoff on one of your journeys and leave us hanging. I will say this ,you will not get any help so you had better be prepared for any and everything. Have you ever given any thought to what it would be like to get hurt real bad and not have someone who cared by your side. It would be so sad to have to die without someone around who cared. So I say one thing,you had better suck it up buttercup and get over this craziness. Even baboons like their own.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  18. All my life I have needed some "alone time" but I knew that strength is multiplicative not additive. It is harder to break a bundle of sticks that one stick. Two working together can do more that two individuals working alone.

GrayGhost, 3M-TA3, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The night's get colder when your older ,

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

The mailman hung really low and he made it :ROFLMAO:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7