Survivalmonkey.com Chat (SM Chat)

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by melbo, Jul 1, 2014.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Our fully featured chat server can be accessed via the 'Chat' tab at the top of any page. You can also see who's currently in chat by looking for the 'Users in SM Chat' display in the sidebar of the main forum page.

In the interest of full transparency, we'd like to clear up one point about a line in our chat login disclaimer (intentionally written by us):
    • The SM Chat rooms are not monitored or logged.
    This is true in the sense that we do not secretly eavesdrop nor log nor otherwise monitor chat sessions.

However, the software, Frug/AJAX-Chat · GitHub uses a database to function. This database is configured to purge all information older than 24 hours. So technically, we are not logging chat sessions but chat sessions are stored in the database for 24 hours before they are purged.

Full disclosure :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    kellory, chelloveck, stg58 and 8 others like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Good to know, thank you. Out of curiosity, is that number fixed, or variable? Was 24 chosen, or a system requirement?

3. melbo

1 day is the lowest setting available.
    I tried entering .2 and it didn't work.

The default is 'no purge' which means store indefinitely.

stg58 and kellory like this.
  4. kellory

Gotcha. System requirement. I like having a private chat, without permanence. It's more friendly. Off the record. :)

5. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

and with the Positive SSL, it is "Snoop Proof" (Encrypted, to, and from, the Server, for all chatters) which is very nice for us Monkeys.....

Motomom34, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  6. melbo

On that note, so are files and text passed via PM (Conversation).
    There is no 'delete' Conversation button but a conversation is permanently deleted after all parties leave the conversation.

Brokor, stg58 and Motomom34 like this.
  7. kellory

Yes, but if one person returns, even after a lengthy leave of absense, without "leaving" that conversation, it is still waiting for them. Even years later. (So I understand).

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

True, all participants must exit by themselves.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. melbo

Once all parties have left a conversation, that conversation is purged from the server permanently. Otherwise the system behaves exactly like email. If I delete my copy if an email, it shouldn't automatically delete your copy, etc. perhaps a new thread on convos?

stg58 and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

Thanks for the above info. I just cleaned up & left almost 4 pages of PM's.

11. melbo

<---- digital packrat

It's completely up to the user whether they want to leave conversations or not.
    Personally, I still have the very first email I ever received... My work email files are over 10 GB :)
    I also have PMs/Conversations in my SM inbox that go back to day 1 (2005)

Tracy, stg58 and Motomom34 like this.
  12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's nice to know that those security measures are in place...am not sure that any of my posts/chat is noteworthy to snoopers but I'll occasionally leave messages like...."the red trumpet will play in jelly" just in case.

Edit: delete trumpet....insert strumpet. Who ever heard of a trumpet playing in jelly?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    RightHand, kellory, melbo and 2 others like this.
  13. melbo

I was asking some of the formerly frequent chatters why they weren't using SM Chat much lately. The consensus was that they didn't like the 'Who's Chatting' block displayed in the Sidebar. So we've removed the Who's Chatting block which, obviously, displayed who was chatting.

If this isn't needed anymore, please let us know and we can disable it. Everything we add to the site requires maintenance and upgrades, etc so whenever we see something not really being used, it's a good time to think about removing it.

Thanks

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

I think the Who's Chatting block going away, is a good thing. No need to maintain it IMO.

15. Gesko

Gesko Monkey

I'm a bit confused now, is the Chat different than the Shoutbox? i only ever used the shoutbox, thought that was the chat.

While we're at it though, might as well remove the Who is online block on the frontpage?

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

Chat is different than the Shoutbox..... you were in the Chat a moment ago and missed you.

17. melbo

2 separate systems. Chat is a little more full featured than the Shoutbox but the Shoutbox gets 99.9% of chat usage.
    My question is if we should remove the second Chat system altogether since it's not being used.

18. kellory

It does get used for more private meetings. I like having a "backroom" to have a quiet word in, from time to time.

Sapper John, Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

I like Kell's thinking. However, if it's an extra cost option, the loss won't be great. We have convos for QT yakking and off line ideas and discussions, it just takes a bit longer.

20. kellory

It does, it also creates a near permanent record, which remains as long as ONE of the participants still remains. Think " snake".

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7