Survivalmonkey.com Warrant Canary

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by melbo, Jun 25, 2014.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

canaryimg. You may have noticed the little yellow canary image at the bottom of our pages. That's our warrant canary :)

Starting in May 2013, an unprecedented series of disclosures revealed that the NSA and other intelligence agencies have been conducting vast and clandestine electronic surveillance programs in the U.S. and abroad. These disclosures have generated tremendous public interest in, and vigorous debate about, how societies should strike the proper balance between protecting national security and respecting civil liberties.

Each month we'll update our canary statement with the current date, new headlines and digitally sign the message with our OpenPGP key. Clicking the canary at the bottom of any page will take you to the current statement.

Background info: Warrant Canary Frequently Asked Questions | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Gist of statement:
    Code:
    survivalmonkey.com will also make available, monthly, a "warrant canary" in the form of a cryptographically signed message containing the following:

- - a declaration that, up to that point, no warrants have been served, nor have any searches or seizures taken place

- - a cut and paste headline from a major news source, establishing date

###################################################################################################################
    ##### Special note should be taken if these messages ever cease being updated, or are removed from this page. #####
    ###################################################################################################################
    The signed portion will state that as of the listed date:
    Code:
    No warrants have ever been served to Survivalmonkey.com, or Survivalmonkey.com principals.
    No Survivalmonkey.com servers have ever been seized.

Survivalmonkey.com has not received any National Security Letters (FBI-issued requests for user information) or FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) court orders, and we have not been subject to any gag order by a FISA court. Survivalmonkey.com has never disclosed any private user communications to any third party. Survivalmonkey.com has never received any other classified request for user information.

Verification Instructions (for those so inclined...)
    Download the signed canary statement.
    Then run this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    gpg --verify canary.txt
    You should get output that says:
    Code:
    gpg: Signature made (Date and Time) using RSA key ID 6BFE4BF1
    gpg: Good signature from "melbo (survivalmonkey.com) <forums@survivalmonkey.com>"
    You should make sure that it says “Good signature” in the output. The date of signature should match the date listed in the file. If this text has been altered, then this information should not be trusted.

Survivalmonkey PGP Public Key

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Hammerhead, Airtime, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  2. melbo

And before someone asks the question: no, we are not under any assumption that we will receive any such request(s). I was seeking a better way to mirror the SM server to my local machine through rsync and stumbled across the rsync warrant canary policy, did some research and found that there are quite a few sites that are adopting something like this.
    http://www.rsync.net/resources/notices/canary.txt
    Warrant canary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Quigley_Sharps
    @Brokor
    You guys now have the canary too - I always forget about the Dark Monkey style :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    gunbunny, Brokor and BTPost like this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I was looking for it. Nice to see he's there. :)

4. melbo

Georgia_Boy and NotSoSneaky like this.
  5. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid God Bless those who have served. Site Supporter+

I learn something new on this site, almost every time I load it.

melbo likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

.....and on my signature line.....:whistle:

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7