Survivor McGyver- Engineering #1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

500ccc.

No scenario, no challenge. This is all you have. Many things have multiple uses. What can you make out of these things? We all see things in different ways, obvious and ideas. What can you do with these items to assist in your survival...Discuss.

sm april.

sm april2.

3- one gallon freezer bags
    2- fish hooks
    1- knife
    1- grocery fabric bag
    duct tape
    Half a roll of 16/2 wire
    1- fiberglass broom handle
    5- metal spikes
    9X12 tarp

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG]
    Well, I currently use gutter spikes as range markers.
    [​IMG]
    The wire has many uses, such as binding poles to form a shelter with the tarp, snares, rather lethal traps, along with the nails. The pole extends, and could be used with one or more nails and wire as a frog gigger, or fishing spear, or used with the wire as a catch pole. The tarp is shelter, water collection or carry. Baggies I think I would use for water storage or food. Cloth bag could be bandage, tourniquet, water filter, or tinder. With enough duct tape, you could escape an island, build a hut, make clothes, water bag........;)

Hanzo, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I want to figure out how to attach a nail to the broom handle to make a stabber.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Remove the threaded end cap from the handle, poke a nail thru it from the inside and reinstall the cap.

Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I wouldn't be in a hurry to cut up/use the bag for anything other then to carry the other items. As @ghrit mentioned above, one of the spikes could be fashioned into the pole to use as a type of spear for food or defense. At this point I think I'd remove the wire from the spool to save room in the bag. The others used to anchor the tarp to the ground when using as a shelter. Bags are for water,food maybe used as a final covering for a wound. Duct tape and knife uses are obvious and numerous. Wire can be used for many things as well. Securing the tarp in different types of shelter, possibly snares, trot line with the hooks maybe.

Hanzo, Ganado, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  6. kellory

Use the wire with the fish hooks as a auto fisher, with a bent sapling. As the recoil spring.

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Good idea but would the nail be stable in there? Example: when you put a nail in the wall many times it needs and anchor because it gets loose.

@kellory
    Never considered using one of those bags for water filter. I like that.

Hanzo and kellory like this.
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

You shouldn't have bought such a crappy walmart handle..[LMAO]

9. kellory

Nail can be mounted to the side of the handle, with two bands of wire, if the cap does not suit.

Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

You could also duct tape the nail to the side and that would be very stable. If you wanted a more aggressive defensive or offensive weapon, attach the knife to the pole ;)

Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Don't be a hater..... ;)

Ganado, Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  12. kellory

If I was to give up my knife in that manner, I would affix it at right angles to the pole, as a melee weapon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ganado likes this.
  13. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Note, the fabric in the bag may remove a fair amount of dirt improving the turbidity, but it will not remove bacteria, protozoa or viruses. That is where the zip lock bags come in. Filter the water through the bag fabric, multiple layers even, and collect reasonably clear water in the zip locks. Lay the bags in strong direct sunlight for 10-12 hours and the UV will kill the microbes rendering the water safe to drink. This method is often referred to as SODIS. There is a good description and discussion on Wikipedia for SODIS.

The bag filled well with clear water can hypothetically (easier said than done) be used as a fire starter too.

AT

Hanzo, Tully Mars, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  14. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

For a defensive weapon or for gigging frogs and fish? (I would implement it different ways depending upon your intended purpose)

15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Let's use the spikes, wire, and tarp to make a shelter. The broom handle can be used to beat unwanted in-laws and keep them from moving in. The baggies can collect rain from the tarp, it's raining now. I'll use the shopping bag to carry back my fish that I caught using the hooks, some stripped wire, and a grasshopper that got under my shelter to avoid the rain. Used the knife to strip a little paper-birch bark and dig up a knot of fat-lighter. Don't see any in-laws, so we'll use part of the broom handle, a bit of wire, and a limb cut with the knife, to make a fire-drill because I like hot cooked fish better than sushi when it is wet and cold.

Hanzo, Motomom34, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

What is an auto fisher? (clueless)[coffee2]

17. kellory

A couple of kinds. I'll post a couple bids when I have time. (Fluxing lead right now);)

18. kellory

Something like this:

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

If I have too compete with you guys in the hunting/ fishing arena... IM prolly gonna die. Just saying [emoji546]

20. kellory

[​IMG] this is another type of auto fisher. Either called an auto fisher or a yoyo reel.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. ED GEiN