1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Swedish Mauser

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Nov 3, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Took my Swedish Mauser out Saturday for the first time in I bet 10 years.

I was reminded how flat shooting and accurate it is.

It would be nice if the bolt was turned down and it is a long son of a gun but a nice rifle.
    6.5X55 is a not will stocked round but I have stocked in a few hundred rounds and have reloading dies.

Swedish Mausers were manufactured by Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf a/N in Germany and in Sweden by Carl Gustafs stads Gevärsfaktori and Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag. All Swedish Mausers, whether built in Germany or Sweden, were fabricated using a Swedish-supplied high grade tool steel alloyed with nickel, copper, and vanadium, a product noted for its strength and corrosion resistance.

Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
    100 gr (6 g) HP 3,183 ft/s (970 m/s) 2,250 ft·lbf (3,050 J)
    120 gr (8 g) BT 2,812 ft/s (857 m/s) 2,108 ft·lbf (2,858 J)
    140 gr (9 g) SP 2,651 ft/s (808 m/s) 2,185 ft·lbf (2,962 J)
    140.4 gr (9 g) DK 2,854 ft/s (870 m/s) 2,540 ft·lbf (3,440 J)
    160 gr (10 g) EVO 2,559 ft/s (780 m/s) 2,266 ft·lbf (3,072 J)

The 6.5×55mm cartridge is highly esteemed as a hunting round in Europe (particularly in Scandinavia), and North America. It is used for harvesting most kind of game including reindeer and moose in Scandinavia, while in most other countries it is used for taking deer and other medium-sized game. Sportsmen who favor the round laud the combination of low recoil coupled with the cartridge's inherent accuracy and superb penetrative qualities. Despite its enduring popularity amongst a devoted niche of American sportsmen, U.S. rifle manufacturers have, for the most part, ignored the cartridge. There is currently no mainstream American arms manufacturer chambering a rifle model for the 6.5×55mm.

6.5×55mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Swedish Mauser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace Site Supporter

Good looking rifle !
    stg58 likes this.
  3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Be kind to it--nice shooter. Have one in much worse condition but still is an accurate shooter.
    stg58 likes this.
  4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Nice looking pop gun! Was yours made in Sweden or Germany? Either way I understand they are all well made. My dad is looking for one made in Sweden. Just what he needs...another rare (ish) caliber rifle! He already has a K31 in 7.5x55 Swiss! And he wonders why he can't afford to shoot half his collection! He has a Carcano with about 40 rounds in original boxes that he keeps threatening to shoot. I always tell him to make sure he has 911 readied up so he can just hit send when the thing blows up in his face!

I have a Yugo 24/47 with the straight bolt and I love it! Straight flat shooter and of course being chambered for the standard 8mm, ammo is readily available. We also shoot our K98's quite a bit. Built better than tanks!
    stg58 likes this.
  5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Mine is Swedish made Carl Gustafs stads Gevärsfaktori 1909.

I wonder if AR15's made in 1979 will still be running in 2079..
  6. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Aluminum receiver, thin walls, multitude of small parts---doubt it very seriously. About the Mauser, have not taken it out in @ 3 years. Will check and see--have my curiosity up now.
    stg58 likes this.
  7. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

The M16 I was issued during basic training in 1989 was made in 1971 and it ran like a top...though it rattled to beat the band. Will it be running in 2071? No freakin' way! They're made out of pop cans for crying out loud! [touchdown] Lol. I just don't see most of the AR's made from aluminum these days standing up to 100 years of use and abuse, let alone those made back in '79. Safe queens...maybe. But no regular shooters. And even if all their other parts are replaced as needed the receivers just won't be able to endure. Technology may be changing that as we speak. Titanium anyone?

And an asteroid could make this whole discussion moot! Or [alien] Just rambling in print...

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I don't know, i have a Sterlingworth SXS 12ga. that is more than 100 years old now, and I still hunt with it, as every owner before me did. A.H.Fox made some good guns.
  9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Fox and ARs---big difference. One was made for posterity and long service--the other???
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Actually, Sterlingworth was his economy line. American walnut instead of thin shell English walnut, and fluid steel barrels by sterling worth instead of crups fluid steel barrels. All the same machining though. The attention to detail.....;)
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  11. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I used one of those in the during the advanced marksman-course when I was in the army. Great shooting rifle and the service length is outstanding for them. Mine had a heart and "Greta 1942" (Common Swedish female name during the 40:ies) on the stock.
    They are quite common among elk and deer-hunters around here still but in sporterized state.
    You could still get a surplus one for $35 on an auction just ten years ago. Now I don't know.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary