Taurus PT-92

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Feb 13, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

A friend and myself went to the range this morning I brought my usual cast of characters my friend among other things brought his new Taurus PT 92 AF.
    The PT 92 gets mixed reviews and I seem to remember a recall but this one went bang and cycled every time for 400 plus rounds of Winchester 115 gr FMJ 9mm with factory mags and Mec-Gar 15 round mags.
    We stripped it down afterword and it cleaned up easy with no signs of odd wear.

Like I said the PT 92 has reviews positive and negative but this one you could hit the target with no malfunctions.:5s:

Taurus PT92 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    A large contract for the Beretta 92 was with the Brazilian army, for which Beretta set up a factory in Brazil. This factory was later sold to the Brazilian gunmaker Taurus (Forjas Taurus S/A ). Taurus makes these pistols (called the PT92) without the need for a license from Beretta since their design is based on the original Beretta 92, whose patents have since expired.

Like the Beretta, the Taurus PT92 utilizes the open-slide design where the upper portion of the slide is cut away exposing much of the barrel itself. The original PT92 was exactly like the original Beretta 92, though it was also unusual for the time in that it featured a squared trigger guard for supporting the index finger of the opposite hand while firing, a feature which was subsequently introduced to the Beretta 92 with the 92SB-F (92F) model in 1985. The Taurus PT92 is less expensive than the Beretta 92 in most cases.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Yard Dart and AD1 like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I had a PT99, the same pistol with target sights for over 25 years. Not a single FTF and shot well. I prefer it to the Beretta for the colt style safety and lack of decocking lever which I have never been able to trust. I only sold it because I like my TZ-75 much better and only wanted one full size metal frame 9mm.

chelloveck and stg58 like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey++

The grip on mine was my biggest complaint. Not bad, just did not fit my hand comfortably. Upgraded it on trade in the a 24/7 G2 for a little bit.

Nice gun. Treat her rough.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King Site Supporter

My son has a PT92 I gave him a few years ago. I like it better than the Beretta from which it is patterned.

RAMBOCAT, 3M-TA3 and stg58 like this.
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I had a PT92 from the Mid80's
    I hated that gun.
    barrel wobbled when in battery.
    It was a 7 yard gun at best.
    That said, I am pretty sure it was a lemon as I handled and fired later years models. They were much better. It still left a bad taste and I'll not purchase another one. YMMV

6. Legion489

Legion489 Shining the Light of Truth

Thanks VisuTrac! I was afraid there would be no Taurus hate, although what you posted was more like "Taurus not fond of". Go to most other sites where the stupid rule and post anything positive about Taurus and you might get banned, at a few you WILL get banned and I am serious about that. Either you follow the party line and do not stray, or the truth will get you banned for heresy.

My stainless Taurus 1911 (so far) has been 100%. Of course that might change the next magazine full, but out of the box it is twice the gun my Kimber was (and is) at half the cost and my Century Shooters Arms 1911 is three times the gun as the Kimber at even less than the Taurus,

7. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

I own 3 Taurus handguns and have had exactly "0" issues with any of them! Will(and do) recommend them as I believe they are good weapons. I have run into the "haters" and all I can say is..........whatever!!

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  8. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

a friend recently bought one of the Millennium 9mm because he wanted a cheaper small pistol.....it locked up on 3 round....slide locked up tight mid stroke and would not budge, could not pull slide back or push it forward.......never seen such a failure....he sent it back and requested a refund....

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Reassembling incorrectly can cause that issue...but who knows?
    The original Millennium also had some issues that were ironed out in the Mil Pro (Gen 2 & 3).

Anyhoo...Never have been a big fan of most Beretta style weapons (nothing specific, just don't feel right), but am glad to hear the PT92AF seems to do well.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  1. MountainMariner
  2. Bandit99
  3. Pax Mentis
  4. Motomom34
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. BTPost
  7. Legion489
  8. UncleMorgan
  9. Motomom34
  10. Motomom34
  11. TXKajun