Taxing Drivers for Each Mile They Drive

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OldDude49, Mar 27, 2021.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

It’s just bad idea after bad idea with this “administration.” As of right now, Joe Biden certainly has a place as one of the worst presidents of all-time (and he has only been in office for just over two months).

Check this out, via The Daily Wire:

Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg was ridiculed on social media on Friday for expressing openness to a policy that would pay for President Joe Biden’s massive infrastructure budget by taxing motorists for each mile they drive.

Trending: Biden: I’m ‘Flattered’ Illegals Are Rushing Border Because They Think I’m ‘A Good Guy’

“So, I think that shows a lot promise,” Buttigieg said regarding a mileage-based tax during an interview with CNBC. “If we believe in that so-called ‘user-pays principle,’ the idea that part of how we pay for roads is you pay based on how much you drive. The gas tax used to be the obvious way to do that; it’s not anymore.”

more on site...

Joe Biden's Transportation Secretary Open to Taxing Drivers for Each Mile They Drive

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Great. The government is forcing me to go live in a tree, earlier than I thought though. :D

JrOrtiz, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

If this goes through there should be open revolt but there never will be. We won our independence because our ancestors revolted against taxation --which by todays standards would be insignificant. We are taxed on everything imaginable because politicians spend like drunk-in sailors on things that have no benefit to we the taxpayers and we blindly accept it. Money spent on foreign aid to countries that hate us, bribes to dictators who never comply with agreements, money spent on illegals ( who have broken our laws) my god the list is endless. We as a people have become sheep and just accept wherever the corrupt politicians lead us. My ancestor who fought in the revolution is looking down in disgust at what we have become. My rant is over.

4. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

The major difference between then and today is that the Crown was not the Super Leviathan we are facing today. Most people simply look at the leviathan that our system has become and asked them selves, how? how? how? do you go up against this? Well, do you have an answer? We simply cannot go out and start it, they are going to have to start it or we will loose all credibility, just as much as Tim McVeigh did by blowing up a government building full of low level Federal workers no matter how much he was right about the feds slaughtering of the Branch Davidians.

Thing is, the Super Leviathan wants total power, it is when it makes that grab that we will then have no other choice to fight back, go to this thread and read my reply, are you truly ready yourself,The Last Battle - Debate is OVER. It is time for ACTION!.

Ura-Ki, ditch witch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

A good solid plan if you ask me, With more people driving green cars then the revenue has dropped on tax intake of fueled vehicles
    You people who are saving the environment still have to pay up in one way or another...
    Damn it, That speedometer cable keeps falling off ?

Yard Dart, VisuTrac, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I think the milage thing is an invasion of privacy.

7. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Think about it ---this tax will not hurt all those who live in these liberal blue cities with mass transit and probably don't own a car. It will hurt us in the red states living in the country and needing to drive to work or get to town to shop. These green idiots have nothing in place to replace fossil fuels but they are going to tax us any way. Typical put the cart before the horse.
    No they won't

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

No worries just disconnect whatever device they want to attach to your car to read mileage. It will likely attach to your ODB port like insurance companies use.

You could probably whip up something to tell it what you want it to read with a Raspberry PI/Arduino interfaced to a female ODB socket to tell it what you want it to hear. Live in SD and want it to average about two miles a day? No problem. Devices will probably be on eBay advertised as something like "Oil Filter Diagnostic Tool".

Even easier would be something that tells it it's connected to a vehicle that's parked. Could be as simple as providing voltage. Every so often reconnect it back to your vehicle so they see activity.

Trucking companies will be the hardest hit and those taxes will have to be passed along to the consumer.
    Like most taxes, the vast majority of revenue will be spent on collecting the tax (tracking devices, roadside readers, collection) and paying for additional staff (office space, staff, travel abuse by the leadership, payouts for various lawsuits).

Nothing like planting the seeds of tyranny in every aspect of your life, then watching those seeds grow into redwoods.

TnAndy, Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Tax per gallon OR tax per mile.

Try both and se what happens....

Here's an idea - STOP spending.

TnAndy, Merkun, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  10. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

The tax per mile was proposed a few years ago maybe during Odumbo Administration --it went no where hope it goes nowhere again. Add this tax to the rising fuel prices and inflation is almost guarantied.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I guess I'll get a mule and a wagon
    Let em tax mule farts for all I care

Ura-Ki, Thunder5Ranch and ditch witch like this.
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

But why should the green idiot driving the socially correct Tesla get a free ride on the hiway? No gas, no charge.. Make it an "alternative " tax, if your car doesn't use gas, charge them 10 cents a mile infrastructure charge.

Ura-Ki, mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Simple, put a Tax on the Electricity used to charge at all the Public Charging Stations... Charge them for the juice... and require Private Charging stations to report and pay the same Tax... That would effectively KILL the Electric Vehicle business... or at least put it on the same playing field...

14. Who said "the power to tax is the power to destroy"?

JrOrtiz, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

There you go, Road damage for future repairs, Or pothole tax ..lol

Ura-Ki and ghrit like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got an electric car to say F the government and because they clearly don't spend money collected at the gas pump and DMV on the roads.

3cyl, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Back in the Carter years and beyond there was the 55 mph limit.

In Nevada, the limit in rural areas as "reasonable and prudent" ie -foot to the floor on the gas or brakes'.

back in the late 80s, the fedgov really leaned on the State of NV to do more than issue $47.00 "energy waster' tickets for speeding. No points, just the fine. After 3, then they became 'real' tickets.

Than some asshat Bureaucrat threatened to cut off highway funding to NV.

The Govs answer was short and to the point. "Fine. We'll collect and keep the $0.17/gal and spend it like we want...Nothing for you to skim....

That was the last anything was said from DC..

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I wish I could drive my little car around at 94mph and only get a $47 ticket.
    I wonder if you could just slip the cop a $50 and call it good.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Pretty sure they work livestock farts into the infrastructure bill.

Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

What if my car runs on Steam? How can they tax me on that, I can burn anything for fuel, and I can boil my own piss to make steam, Suck it Pedo! [chopper]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7